Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Roll Call - Roadsters with Hard Tops....

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    nothing looks quite so wrong as a mismatched hard top on a Z3.
    An interesting position. Very few Z3 body colors match the soft top exactly (something I find in questionable taste anyway), so why is a 2-tone body-hardtop combination so objectionable?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    An interesting position. Very few Z3 body colors match the soft top exactly (something I find in questionable taste anyway), so why is a 2-tone body-hardtop combination so objectionable?
    It is simply a matter of personal taste and perspective. I'm color blind--completely--and so I have a different perspective on color and matching. I see the world in basically black and white--like a black and white movie. I distinguish colors by value, not hue. What I see with a mismatched hard top is a glaring contrast that either makes the car look too big for the top, or the top too big for the car. Either way, to me it clearly doesn't belong. It just looks like the owner couldn't afford the right top, or to get his top painted. It does not come across to me as though the mismatch were intended--like the white roof on a '57 Chevy does--but rather to me it looks distinctly out of place. Again, it's a matter of personal taste and perspective. I'm not suggesting it is something restricted to Z3's, I'm sure a mismatched hard top would look equally poorly on another car--like a Miata or a Mercedes SL--I've just never actually seen that.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    IMG_2148.jpgIMG_2007.JPG

I plasti-dipped my whole car so it would match everywhere. I cant afford to paint the whole car this year or likely next year with the vacations I am going on. I do much more prefer the car with a matching top.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    IMG_2148.jpgIMG_2007.JPG

I plasti-dipped my whole car so it would match everywhere. I cant afford to paint the whole car this year or likely next year with the vacations I am going on. I do much more prefer the car with a matching top.
    Thanks for the replies. I don't mean to sound judgmental--I'm just trying to stand in your shoes.
    My old Mercedes (below) has a factory two-tone scheme (ivory with blue interior and both tops), so a two-tone paint job looks fine to me...and I think it makes my Z3 look more roadster-ish. That is to say, it is obvious (in a good way, to me) that the top is removable--as opposed to a matched-color top which the uninitiated might construe as being permanent. In my mind, it further differentiates the Z3, not just from ordinary cars, but even from most convertibles. I guess it's part of my pathology; I never want someone to be able to say to me "I own the exact same car."

standard.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It is simply a matter of personal taste and perspective. I'm color blind--completely--and so I have a different perspective on color and matching. I see the world in basically black and white--like a black and white movie. I distinguish colors by value, not hue. What I see with a mismatched hard top is a glaring contrast that either makes the car look too big for the top, or the top too big for the car. Either way, to me it clearly doesn't belong. It just looks like the owner couldn't afford the right top, or to get his top painted. It does not come across to me as though the mismatch were intended--like the white roof on a '57 Chevy does--but rather to me it looks distinctly out of place. Again, it's a matter of personal taste and perspective. I'm not suggesting it is something restricted to Z3's, I'm sure a mismatched hard top would look equally poorly on another car--like a Miata or a Mercedes SL--I've just never actually seen that.

Thanks for explaining!

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    If you strive to achive a certain two tone look, yeah, it is probably going to look right. Matching an interior color is very common. But often here folks, understandably, buy any hardtop and paint later. Secure a close or inexpensive top, any color. So we see a lot of odd combos that never were intended to be a pair. But most any color should look fine with a white, grey or black top, imo.

I like two tone cars. My Mini Clubman's roof was sprayed white after I bought it. Previously it was grey. The car looks excellent with a white, contrasting roof.

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    98 Z3 Roadster 2.8
    1998 BMW Z3 Style 515 Wheels.jpg
    My 1998 Z3 2.8 in Atlanta Blue with Estoril Blue hardtop and 18" BMW Style 515 wheels. I originally intended to have it painted or vinyl wrapped, but the two-tone blue has garnered many compliments from everyday folks. That said, the local Cars and Coffee crowd was quick to joke about the contrasting colors!

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Not sure if I had posted this here before... Decided to color match. Not sure I will keep it much on the car, as I prefer topless driving.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Not sure if I had posted this here before... Decided to color match. Not sure I will keep it much on the car, as I prefer topless driving.

What happen to your gills?

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    What happen to your gills?

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    That looks different. But can't tell from this angle.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    That looks different. But can't tell from this angle.
    Side gills from Hamann kit.
    Last edited by deni2s; 12-16-2017 at 03:46 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M

I'm not a particularly big fan of the Hamann hdtp, (any) deck wing or flippers (splitters?), but with the right color (black) and the right wheels (yours) and with those mirrors, I have to concede that the whole package looks pretty damn good!

I would still cuss at you if I had to put it on my lift though, as the flippers mandate driving all four (4) wheels up on blocks to clear the arms, and then I still have to put hockey pucks between them and the jack-points.

It does look sinister though

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I'm not a particularly big fan of the Hamann hdtp, (any) deck wing or flippers (splitters?), but with the right color (black) and the right wheels (yours) and with those mirrors, I have to concede that the whole package looks pretty damn good!

I would still cuss at you if I had to put it on my lift though, as the flippers mandate driving all four (4) wheels up on blocks to clear the arms, and then I still have to put hockey pucks between them and the jack-points.

It does look sinister though
    Thanks Randy! Nice to hear approval from authority like you of this controversial kit. Those flippers are fitted on 2-3 bolts each, so they are easily removable if needed.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Side gills from Hamann kit.
    Ah... I see them now. Interesting. Totally different look. Works nicely with entire package. And yes, I agree with RF, whole package works very well. If I would get a custom plate for this bad car, it would be NAUGHTY

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I think the Hamann hard top looks good, but I had an opportunity to sit in a car with one years ago, and I was shocked at how rough and ill fitting it was up close. The owner was selling me his factory hard top, and I remember thinking after comparing the two that it was not a trade I'd make--certainly not and pay for the privilege.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I think the Hamann hard top looks good, but I had an opportunity to sit in a car with one years ago, and I was shocked at how rough and ill fitting it was up close. The owner was selling me his factory hard top, and I remember thinking after comparing the two that it was not a trade I'd make--certainly not and pay for the privilege.
    Yes, I was reading a lot about bad quality hamann hardtops which required a lot of additional work to fit them properly. I got lucky - my hardtop is straight and I got it for the price of factory hardtop.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah... I see them now. Interesting. Totally different look. Works nicely with entire package. And yes, I agree with RF, whole package works very well. If I would get a custom plate for this bad car, it would be NAUGHTY
    Thanks! That whole package thing was what I was counting on - those parts individually don't work well, but together they have some synergy.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Yes, I was reading a lot about bad quality hamann hardtops which required a lot of additional work to fit them properly. I got lucky - my hardtop is straight and I got it for the price of factory hardtop.
    So is yours finished on the inside, with a headliner, or just rough unpainted fiberglass? How does it attach?

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    So is yours finished on the inside, with a headliner, or just rough unpainted fiberglass? How does it attach?
    Finished on the inside with black paint. Attaches with hamann fitting kit (much simpler solution than factory).
    More detailed pics if interested here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/473829314383577803/

My Cars
    2006 Giant Anthem 3
    Hi, I'm a noob.
    IMG_0230sm.jpg
    Right you are Ken!

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    Interesting--there is no sound-deadening material or insulation in the Hamann top?
    Does the Wiesmann hard-top come similarly spartan?
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 12-19-2017 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Interesting--there is no sound-deadening material or insulation in the Hamann top?
    No. AFAIK that flock in factory hardtop is no sound-deadening material or insulation either.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    No. AFAIK that flock in factory hardtop is no sound-deadening material or insulation either.
    Yeah, Its just a head liner in it is all from what I can tell from mine.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Yeah, Its just a head liner in it is all from what I can tell from mine.
    I've had the headliner partially off to replace one of the latches, and there wasn't any insulation underneath. Still, it's quieter and warmer than the convertible.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Thanks for the replies. I don't mean to sound judgmental--I'm just trying to stand in your shoes.
    My old Mercedes (below) has a factory two-tone scheme (ivory with blue interior and both tops), so a two-tone paint job looks fine to me...and I think it makes my Z3 look more roadster-ish. That is to say, it is obvious (in a good way, to me) that the top is removable--as opposed to a matched-color top which the uninitiated might construe as being permanent. In my mind, it further differentiates the Z3, not just from ordinary cars, but even from most convertibles. I guess it's part of my pathology; I never want someone to be able to say to me "I own the exact same car."

standard.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for explaining!
    I mainly painted mine because the rest of the car looked like crap. I had a miss matched rear fender, failing clear coat, and scrapes all over both my bumpers. I like the top matching but I don't think it looked bad in silver with the blue either. I think Black would look pretty good on any color roadster also.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I think Black would look pretty good on any color roadster also.
    Agreed--at a glance, it would resemble most soft-tops.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast