Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Roll Call - Roadsters with Hard Tops....

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    I've had the headliner partially off to replace one of the latches, and there wasn't any insulation underneath. Still, it's quieter and warmer than the convertible.
    Well I don't think it's actually warmer. Quieter - yes, as fiberglass still insulates sound better than soft top.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Well I don't think it's actually warmer. Quieter - yes, as fiberglass still insulates sound better than soft top.
    When I bought the car two years ago, I drove it home from Florida in early January with the hardtop in place. I did not have to turn the heat up as high as I do now to maintain a comfortable temperature. Maybe it was fairly warm those two and a half days. I haven't had the hardtop on since so I'll admit that I haven't been able to try both tops on the same day. When my head and shoulders feel cold, I add some defrost into the mixture, and feel the top with my hand--it's cold. I think the dead air space between the hardtop and the liner functions as the insulator.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    I mainly painted mine because the rest of the car looked like crap. I had a miss matched rear fender, failing clear coat, and scrapes all over both my bumpers. I like the top matching but I don't think it looked bad in silver with the blue either. I think Black would look pretty good on any color roadster also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Agreed--at a glance, it would resemble most soft-tops.
    You'd think that, but to my eye, and not being overly critical, it still doesn't look right. There are very few combinations that I could live with (I've added a few newly acquired and mis-matched hdtps on people's cars to see them firsthand); my black top on my gray car looks bad, but with no alternative, I could live with a steel gray top on the cosmos black car. The above mentioned silver top on a blue car I can imagine works okay; maybe it's the the lighter color on top that is the underlying factor?

Just as a case in point, I am aware of no factory-fitted hdtps that were painted in any color other than that of the car they came with. I expect the stylists in Munich toyed with many possible combinations to conclude that nothing improved on the same/same color combination (a lot easier to mix paint than sew up a batch of red or blue canvas tops, which were available).

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I finally got a factory matched color hardtop for my Topaz Z3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    NA
    2001 Topaz Blue Metallic bought a few months ago. Picked up the HT this week in Estoril blue and plan to repaint to match. Don't have a pic as I haven't installed the top just yet but plan to this week after a main part comes in.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    I've been trying to find one for a while now to no avail. Most of them are far away and nobody wants to ship to Cincinnati. At this point I really just need a hardware kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JRez36 View Post
    2001 Topaz Blue Metallic bought a few months ago. Picked up the HT this week in Estoril blue and plan to repaint to match. Don't have a pic as I haven't installed the top just yet but plan to this week after a main part comes in.
    My car is Estoril Blue, any chance you would want to make some money? I'd be willing to pay more than you have in i to get a color matching one.
    Last edited by Meeners; 01-04-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    Z3///M Roadster | GC Sleeves | TCKline 450lb (F) & 700lb (R) | Koni S/A | Porsche 996 4-Pots | CSL 345mm (F) | e38 328mm (R)

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I have a silver Hardtop for sale now if anyone is looking. Located in Indianapolis.

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    Sent you a PM. Thx.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910