Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: car wrapping

car wrapping

I recently seen a car get wrapped in some maybe vinyl material..I wanna say....and after finishing....... the car looked like it was freshly painted....they literally just kind of wrapped the car in this substance..starting with the doors then the hood of the car and so on until the whole car was completely done..it was the first time I've seen that...they said it is even removable.and less costly than a paint job...does anybody else know about this technique ..please comment if you do....I was floored.....
    Alpine white...99 528i (build date 7/99 in new jersey)...Rise up Alpine Nation

My Cars
    1989 325ssi
    It's called (wait for it) vinyl wrapping. It used to be new and exclusive but is much more commonplace now. There are myriad colors to choose from and you can buy kits to do it yourself or have shops do it for you.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I'll be wrapping mine in a month or two. Pictures of course will follow.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    How does it respond to blistering heat?
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    E30, E34, E36, Camry
    Jigga What! Yo yo yo...

Oh wait, that's rapping. Nevermind.

Level8Drummer

Driving instructor for: BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA, Chin Motorsports, and Hooked on Driving.

My Cars
    BMW 2003
    The application of painting applied on a car which is already painted is known as Car Wrap. It is the best application available for the cars now a days. The vinyl decal of the car which allows us to change the colour, stickers on the car. The feature is not known many of the car users for fulfilling the purpose, many of the online websites are providing the information regarding the task.

cost of vehicle wrapping
    Vehicle wrapping at essex

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazarr View Post
    How does it respond to blistering heat?
    Vinyl does fine in intense heat, we wrap a lot of cars for both commercial and personal use and it withstands the 100*+ temps we see here in Charleston. Most race cars are also vinyl wrapped and are exposed to more extreme conditions than the average street car will see in its lifetime.

Muscle Pharm truck we wrapped:
    before

after

Most stripes you see on modern cars are vinyl as well:

Our owner's car is wrapped matte black and carbon fiber and is still flawless after years of use:

Hope this helps!

PleasantDetails.com

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Wrapping is really getting popular too.

I just just had the roof on my black BMW wrapped in matte black. It was a different combo that you normally see, but I think it looks great and I get compliments on it!

My Cars
    you see it
    ive seen a few chrome wrapped cars lately. It seems to be getting popular. The ones I've seen look like good quality work. I saw a 2012 Camaro and a 745 Bimmer.

My Cars
    1994 530i
    There are videos on Youtube on how to vinyl wrap cars.

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    It's been around for a long time, and has just gained attention/been catching on the last few years. It's really only cheaper than paint if you know someone, or you're doing it yourself. Tutorial videos on YouTube will help you out a lot, but here's some friendly tips;

-Use a premium, calendered vinyl, preferably with an "air release" feature on the adhesive side. I suggest Avery, 3M or Hexis (brands). Please do not cheap out on vinyl, or you and everyone you know will be disappointed.

-Have a helper!!! This is key to your success as a wrap noob.

-Try to wrap in a clean, sealed garage. If not, do anything possible to prevent dust/dirt/debris from getting under your vinyl. If you had to work outside, I would wet down all the ground around the car, so dirt and such is trapped on the ground for a while. Or park on top of a big tarp. Try and put something up or park cars around you to block the wind. A sudden unexpected gust of wind can do terrible things when working with vinyl.

-Have a good hair dryer, heat helps you do compound curves and recesses. I do not recommend a heat gun or propane torch for anyone new at this.

-Use adhesion promoter on edges of body panels, and on complex curves/recesses.

-Something like "rapid tack" is great when applying vinyl, as it helps give you some room to fix small mistakes, or working with a trickier to apply vinyl.

-Felt squeegees and Exacto knives will be your best friends. A cotton gloved hand also works great.
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    2016 Dodge Charger

Cool Car Wraps Are the new paint Job

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    It's been around for a long time, and has just gained attention/been catching on the last few years. It's really only cheaper than paint if you know someone, or you're doing it yourself. Tutorial videos on YouTube will help you out a lot, but here's some friendly tips;

-Use a premium, calendered vinyl, preferably with an "air release" feature on the adhesive side. I suggest Avery, 3M or Hexis (brands). Please do not cheap out on vinyl, or you and everyone you know will be disappointed.

-Have a helper!!! This is key to your success as a wrap noob.

-Try to wrap in a clean, sealed garage. If not, do anything possible to prevent dust/dirt/debris from getting under your vinyl. If you had to work outside, I would wet down all the ground around the car, so dirt and such is trapped on the ground for a while. Or park on top of a big tarp. Try and put something up or park cars around you to block the wind. A sudden unexpected gust of wind can do terrible things when working with vinyl.

-Have a good hair dryer, heat helps you do compound curves and recesses. I do not recommend a heat gun or propane torch for anyone new at this.

-Use adhesion promoter on edges of body panels, and on complex curves/recesses.

-Something like "rapid tack" is great when applying vinyl, as it helps give you some room to fix small mistakes, or working with a trickier to apply vinyl.

-Felt squeegees and Exacto knives will be your best friends. A cotton gloved hand also works great.
    Nice DIY explanation That is almost the exact method that the guys at my shop do, Wrapping is so easy to do that anyone can learn with practice, at my shop the technique is usually not the problem, its usually the grade of vinyl... anyways if you want to check out some more pictures my site is call WrapBullz.

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Actually you can go a step further and have the car spray wrapped for much less than wrapping. Primarily good for frozen type colors, but you're basically plasti-dipping your car. The high gloss finishes are thousands of dollars. Something in Matte or frozenesque is more like $700 based on quotes from shops in Florida.

YMMV of course. If you have an M2 and want something other than the 3 stock colors, it's a good alternative.

Marcva
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA