Thread: Track Day coming up...Any prep?

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i

Track Day coming up...Any prep?

Hi everyone

I am getting ready for a track day soon and was wondering what all I should do to prep my '02 330ci. I am already figuring I need to change the engine, transmission and differential fluids before I go, and sometime soon after I get back. I'll be setting the tire pressures to 32 psi front and 38 psi rear. And I'll be getting a tech inspection done tomorrow. Any other recommendations?

How hard is it to change the transmission and differential fluids on this car? And what type of fluid should I use? Mobil 1, Red Line, Amsoil, etc?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Brian

My Cars
    Imola red E46 M3, Nissan Xterra XE
    I know you'll want to do the oil, but the other fluids? Don't see the reason why before and after. How about just after if you feel you really need to.

Tire pressures are something you'll want to ask your instructor about. They've probably lapped that circuit on over 20 track days and can give you advice.

I've done two track days in my 328ci and had mega-fun.
    Our track day is in March up here and hope to run in good weather.
    Real men don't drink pink wine.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    First and foremost, get a lot of rest. 2-3 hours of driving per day may not seem all that much, but OMG it takes a sh*t load out of you mentally and physically when you're at your limit.

Second, keep hydrated. I know, it's winter but trust me, you will sweat like crazy. Keeping hydrated also keeps you focused and sharp.

Third, CHECK YOUR WHEEL torque specs. I've never seen any late model BMW having any sort of catastrophic failures, but I have seen my share of loose lugnuts to know that it happens and happens enough times for it to be a problem.

RE: Tire pressure, it's something you'll have to play with at the track. I usually run 38psi all around, but some of my instrutors has been saying that's too high given my camber settings. Take a look at your tires after one session and see where the wears are. If it comes all the way to the shoulder and stops before the little wear markers (on most tires it'll be little triangles at the tip of the shoulder, on Michelins it's these little "Bibs", the Michelin man, near the wear mark), your pressure is fine. If it's worn past the wear marks, you're too low. If it stops before the wear mark, you're too high.

Most importantly, it's not how fresh your fluids are. Make sure your engine is overfilled by at least 1/2 quart, since under high G loads the E36es and E46es without an oil-pan baffle will suffer oil starvation. Bring a liter of brake fluid with you, you probably won't likely boil any fluid, but it certainly wasn't entertaining having to go around begin' for a fresh liter when I boiled my brake fluid on the first day of the school at Vegas.

Lastly, check your ego at the door, and have fun!
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    '09 BMW Performance 135i
    Thanks for the advice! I haven't checked the manual yet because it's in the car and it's late, but what are the wheel lug nut specs for the 330ci w/ sport package? Anyone know off the top of their head?

I'll wait on changing the transmission and diff fluids until after the track day, but I will go ahead and do an engine oil change with Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w-30, and over fill by about 3/4 of a quart before I go. The dealer is supposed to give me an extra liter of brake fluid to take with me while I'm in there getting tires put on. I'll be busting my butt to get everything ready Thursday and Friday so I can get to sleep early Friday night. I'll also be bringing plenty of bottled water with me. Any more recommendations?

Brian

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    88 ft-lbs
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.