Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build quality of E36's.

My Cars
    Landcruiser

Exclamation Build quality of E36's.

As common as they are, I've never driven or have even sat in an E36. I used to own an E39, which is definitely a solidly built car.

How do E36's compare in fit-and-finish of components and interior materials compared to the E39? Are the the tolerances very similar?

My Cars
    02' 330i
    Ive never driven an e39. I'm such a slob when it comes to maintenance on my car.. I'm too poor for the thing, sometimes I feel like it's falling apart, but then I take a ride in a ford and they just scare the crap out of me.

They are solid cars.

Where in Nevada are you?
    -Qaz
    02 330i

My Cars
    2008 G37S 6MT
    During 94 they really ramped up the quality of the cars. Mid 94 and after are pretty solid, although there is a discernible difference from the e36 and 39 in quality. The 39's interior has more polish to it, in my opinion.

My Cars
    M3 & M Coupe
    ALL e36s quality are pretty poor. the newer ones just haven't gotten "old" yet so parts have not fallen off. the interior on the cars are pretty bad i would say.
    Only a company that built airplane engines could build a car to make your heart soar. BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    -If you use hair gel... M3...
    -if you put gear oil in your hair... ///M Coupe...
    Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    one should always strive for improvement...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBgotM
    There is a difference between good driver and a responible driver. Good drivers aren't always responisble and responsible drivers aren't always good. The trick is to try and learn to be both.
    If you gave a european engineer 8300 cc's to play with, he'd come up with a lot more than 500 hp. We can get that much these days from a pencil sharpener..
    (Clarkson driving the Viper)

My Cars
    Landcruiser
    Hey Qaz : .

I'm up in Reno. The weather's been chilly here lately. How's it going down there?

My Cars
    1990 325is, 87 325e
    Originally posted by Zero0ne
    I'm up in Reno. The weather's been chilly here lately.
    I work in Reno, and live out past Dayton off of highway 50. Yes, it has been cold, and this wind is insane....

I just got into my E36 two weeks ago, and I am very impressed with the build quality. No strange noises, everything works, and still looks good.... I am very happy with mine...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Originally posted by lhoward
    ALL e36s quality are pretty poor.
    Compared to what..a masonry block?
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    I have an e39 and an e36(92 325i) In no way do the 3 compares to the 5, The 5 is just different, more luxury. The 3 as they get old seem to fall apart, this is my second e36, they all seem to have the same problems.Balthazarr, you have an M its totally different than the regualr shody e36's. but I do think they finally got better in 96-up. Just my 2 cents

My Cars
    '03 X5 4.4i Sport, E320
    What problems do the 3er interiors have that the M's wouldn't have? The only things different are the steering wheel, seats, and shift knob. I guess the floor mats are different too, but I just hate it when my floot mats squeek. :
    Todd Maurer
    Past - 5 E36s, 1 E39, 1 MB W210 E320, 1 GMC 6.5 ECLB, B6 A4 3.0 6 Spd Quattro
    Present - '05 E320 CDI, '06 VW TDI Jetta 5 Spd, '02 Ford F250 CCSB PSD, '02 Ducati Monster S4

Mods: 92* Thermostat, MB to BMW Wheel Adapters, 18" BMW Style 72 Wheels, Custom Mercedes-Benz Diesel Plate Frame

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    m mostly cus its newer. I have only have older 3's, BTW my front seats are squeking

My Cars
    '96 318ti, '15 Focus ST
    only e36 ive had, but its not falling apart like my VWs did
    BMWMOFO C6MPACT

My Cars
    2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK430, 92 325i/4
    Originally posted by Qazimov
    Ive never driven an e39. I'm such a slob when it comes to maintenance on my car.. I'm too poor for the thing, sometimes I feel like it's falling apart, but then I take a ride in a ford and they just scare the crap out of me.

They are solid cars.

Where in Nevada are you?
    :

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 540i
    Only thing on my 96 328is with 108k miles is the headliner is falling down and needs to be replaced.

My Cars
    bmw 325iSE 91 e36 117k
    no idea about .....e39 but my 1991 325iSE is still pert in all areas

.........hahah

not bad for a 13yr old car
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump
    Originally posted by JedzE36/5
    only e36 ive had, but its not falling apart like my VWs did
    I second that.

140k and my interior is in great shape. I'm sure the materials in the interior are a little cheaper than the 5er, but I'm very impressed at how well the car is holding up. There are some small, insignificant misalignments, but they are hardly noticable.

Its also going to depend on the previous owner(s) and how well they kept it. Mines been garage kept nearly its entire life so that could be the reason for its current condition.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    maybe because mine are in texas, even SLK230 door panels were coming apart. Our summers here hit 102+, leaving the inside to be in the 150-160's. killing all the glue.

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I cannot really compare an E39 with my E36 simply because there is a significant age difference. My car has an 8/91 prod. date and the E39s weren't out until 96. Only time will tell...However, I have had to replace the headliner and need to replace the A and C pillars, as the plastic tabs on the back have broken.
    1992 325i

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    hey, do what i did on the pillars, 3m double sided tape!

My Cars
    1992 325i
    SecetAznMan4u: I have tried double sided tape, velcro, epoxy, and some real gunky black tape, but nothing has really worked. What trick are you using to make it work?
    1992 325i

My Cars
    FD3S
    Well, my 92 is horrible. The back panel rattles, no matter what. Exhaust, subs, even bumps...also, there are also little vibrations here and there...pretty embarresing, but better than any other i would drive. The glove box is sagging, the middle console is messed, up other little nacks...but overall, better than a new kia's interior.
    I made money, the firm made money. 2/3 ain't bad.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    hey, I actually used 1 little helper screws shhh.... way up top where its not visible

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    For no reason, the long rectangular wood trim above my glove box has two fine cracks showing just for the past week. Probably due to the fluctuation of temp. around here.

My Cars
    '93 325i Alpinweiß II
    one thing i do like about mine is the letherette... its fake leather, but looks somewhat real and NO blemishes, wear marks or anything. They are completely maintenance free. All these guys complain about minor interior problems or a slow window which every car will have after 10 years, but noone has mentioned the incredibly reliable drivetrain and the fact that all of my creature comforts still work... aside from a slow working heated seat. Check your PM archyx, I have a Q for you.

My Cars
    325izzle
    dude the glovebox sag.. go to understeer.com and go read about how to fix it.

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    chris' method wont work on the non passenger side airbag dashes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast