Thread: Heated Seat Burn

My Cars
    BMW X3

Heated Seat Burn

While driving my X3 with the heated seat on I noticed a hot spot. After closer inspection I see what appears to be a small hole burnt in the seat. There also seems to be a small wire at the bottom of the hole. Has anyone noticed or heard of this problem?

My Cars
    Jeep TJ, 2500 HD, Jeep WJ
    Yea, the seat heater has shorted. You'll need to replace the leather.
    1997 Jeep Wrangler - Lifted, locked, geared, and ready for action.
    2006 Chevrolet 2500HD - The Hauler
    2004 BMW X-5 3.0
    1992 BMW 525i - 5 speed, 298,000 clicker when I got it. now over 283K

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/redtj1997/

My Cars
    2007 x3
    The driver's seat in my 2007 X3 3.0 just burned a hole straight through to my skin last month. I raised my voice with BMWNA and they're going to replace for free I think. Scary!

Quote Originally Posted by BillL223 View Post
    While driving my X3 with the heated seat on I noticed a hot spot. After closer inspection I see what appears to be a small hole burnt in the seat. There also seems to be a small wire at the bottom of the hole. Has anyone noticed or heard of this problem?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If you have any sort of decent relation ship with your dealer, and the dealership is even remotely interested in customer service, they'll contact BMW on your behalf and offer some assistance with the replacement. It's expensive, because the heater only comes as a part of the seat leather (or 'leatherette' as the case may be). The seat heater itself is several hundred dollars. Depending on the year, mileage, situation, etc, we usually can get BMW to cover half or all of the price of the part for customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.