Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Melting car wax

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560

Melting car wax

Is it possible to re-melt car wax?

I find myself with tubs of wax, little bits left and hard to get out of the container. Is it possible to re-melt it kind of like candle wax on a candle warmer?

I thought about a microwave on low, but was worried about it exploding or smelling up the entire kitchen like car wax (ok with me but not with the wife)

Any ideas?

My Cars
    '07 Z4MC, '12 128i
    If it's an decent wax, simply by just rubbing your fingers up against it will melt it enough to scoop it out.

2015 ProSolo STX Class Champion

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Is it possible to re-melt car wax?

I find myself with tubs of wax, little bits left and hard to get out of the container. Is it possible to re-melt it kind of like candle wax on a candle warmer?

I thought about a microwave on low, but was worried about it exploding or smelling up the entire kitchen like car wax (ok with me but not with the wife)

Any ideas?
    Sure, go ahead and do it.
    Dodo Juice actually sells a wax 'kit' that contains all the basic components. The buyer melts the carnauba flakes and adds components and makes a sort of custom wax so you melting your bits and combining them is just an extension of that concept.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the softness of the wax depends on the solvents added.
    Remelting will cause a small amount of the solvents to evaporate, so I'd keep the melting phase to a minimum.
    -John C.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Ok thanks, I'll give it a try, maybe on the candle warmer first.

Uding fingers wont work because I have small bits from several different waxes that are like small pieces of soap. I want to see if melting them will cause them to go back like the wax is one large piece.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    If you're using an open flame, you'll want to be extremely careful, like outside in the carport with a CO2 extinguisher close by.

I'd recommend you try the double boiler method, a pot floating in a larger pot of water. Use electric heat to heat the large pot of water to impart heat to the smaller pot with your wax bits in it.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    I'd recommend you try the double boiler method, a pot floating in a larger pot of water. Use electric heat to heat the large pot of water to impart heat to the smaller pot with your wax bits in it.
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking now that I found out that the candle warmer was tossed

My Cars
    2009 Honda CR-v

Talking Remelting Car wax

Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking now that I found out that the candle warmer was tossed
    Yes you can remelt carwax in a Microwave, i would melt it in sequence for over every 3 mins.
    I am a Candle maker as well and an Auto Detailer as well.
    I melt wax every day.