Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your garage.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftGirl View Post
    ...looking for ideas to help finish my garage....
    I'm the architect and builder on my house. The garage was plumbed with sewer and hot water so that it could support a temporary freestanding bathroom (4x4x7) during construction. I don't need the shower anymore but I'm not giving up the sink and toilet. Very convenient, keeps dirt out of the house, and can be used by day labor.

My Cars
    E89 Z4 35is, E39 Dinan 5
    Mine is a daily. It was pouring rain today and had to take it out (unfortunately). Lives in a secure apartment garage next to a wall at my request. That allows me to park in a "please don't ding me" fashion.
    Pure Turbo, Flex Fuel 2013 Z4 35is, 2000 Dinan 540i

My Cars
    E31 4.4, E66 V12, E70 TT
    Mine is kind of garaged, but I can not explain the layout of my garage and gated driveway, I will have to take a pic when I get back But F*** snow, I roll in any weather conditions

My Cars
    850i, Alpina B7, E61
    Mine is garaged for the winter, Hoping to create a better home for it in the next few years.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    In the garage most of the time in Winter but went for a spin today.

Last edited by 91e34M5; 02-16-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    911 + E31
    All my cars are garaged. The 911 gets to deal with the rain though. The Bimmers stay nice, dry & pretty in their "house"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    91 850i
    I'm so envious of all of you. No garage here

@Fatandre: Your car and 'garage' are uber cool-lookin. My car wants to go there.

@DriftGirl:

I've always fancied the idea of having a garage with a water drain in it so I could wash cars inside!
    Also it would be neat to have heating elements underneath where you park so you could pre-heat the engine block and transmission prior to even starting it. For quicker warm-ups!
    Also how about a heating element to park a motorcycle on that constantly supplies hot air flowing over the entire bike for pre-heating? This way you wouldn't need to manually install and remove tire warmers.

And it would be awesome to make room for a Hunter road force balancer and tire mounter! Yes yes I know at least $10k used, but worth the investment.
    Used oil tanks? 100-gallon fresh fuel tanks? Beer machine?

What I want to have someday when I have my own 'home' is to own a big warehouse or old fire station and convert it into a hybrid garage and living space...I want to have my cars parked in a big lounge area with furniture, a bar, kitchen, and lots of hanging out space...so that my workspace/garage and living area is combined! I'll only have the restroom and bedrooms in different areas!

@91e34M5:

Sweet rides!!! I'm loving what you've done with the e34! What are those little shims/spacers under the tires for though?
    Last edited by mjrgroup; 02-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Why would you want fuel tanks?

My Cars
    91 850i
    Because when an international incident occurs and OPEC cuts production and/or export, and fuel prices rise...or availability declines...I'll have a buffer.

Or when a hurricane comes through...or when the U.S. gets invaded by monsters, or when zombies come out of the ground...or when my ex comes after me...I'll have enough fuel to fill up some jerry cans and mount weeks worth of fuel onto the roof rack on my 4x4 survival vehicle (ideally a Hummer H1) and drive someplace safer...with the 8 in tow of course. Kidding about this all of course...but in all seriousness, we take fuel availability and cost for granted until the price surges and it's no longer available.

Think about it, man has invested in a spectacular form of power conversion/transportation (gasoline engine powered cars), but they depend on a resource that can only come from a survey, drilling, pumping, transportation, refining, and distribution system that only a handful of companies monopolize. I wish I had my own way to take dead plants and animals (crude) and turn it into unleaded myself! This is where I digress into survivalist forums and bio-diesel discussions, neither or which, unfortunately pertain to the 8!
    Last edited by mjrgroup; 02-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    1991 BMW 850i / V12 5.0L [M70] / ZF4HP24 E/H

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    Because when an international incident occurs and OPEC cuts production and/or export, and fuel prices rise...or availability declines...I'll have a buffer.

Or when a hurricane comes through...or when the U.S. gets invaded by monsters, or when zombies come out of the ground...or when my ex comes after me...I'll have enough fuel to fill up some jerry cans and mount weeks worth of fuel onto the roof rack on my 4x4 survival vehicle (ideally a Hummer H1) and drive someplace safer...with the 8 in tow of course. Kidding about this all of course...but in all seriousness, we take fuel availability and cost for granted until the price surges and it's no longer available.

Think about it, man has invested in a spectacular form of power conversion/transportation (gasoline engine powered cars), but they depend on a resource that can only come from a survey, drilling, pumping, transportation, refining, and distribution system that only a handful of companies monopolize. I wish I had my own way to take dead plants and animals (crude) and turn it into unleaded myself! This is where I digress into survivalist forums and bio-diesel discussions, neither or which, unfortunately pertain to the 8!

You could modify your 8 to run off of alcohol which you could distill yourself.

My Cars
    1996 840Ci / 2007 B7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    Why would you want fuel tanks?
    Had a hurricane come through the Gulf a few years ago, and we had lines and rationing (5 gal max) for 3-4 months afterwards. If you saw a station that had fuel (easy to spot by the line of cars at it), you stopped and got your 5 gallons no matter what the fuel gauge said (can in the trunk if you were full). Prices were nuts too (from an american perspective, still not what you guys get raped for across the pond - somewhere around €1.30 per liter if I have my conversions from $6-7 a gallon correct)

My Cars
    01' 530i, 97' 840Ci

Race Cars in the Garage,

Street cars in the "Street" (carport).

Total +1 for the "imagineering"

Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post

Last edited by Arsenic; 02-17-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '91 850i -CB72257 'Ruby'

Stuffed Barn & Garage

Barn - 50 Ford sharing my woodshop - waitin' for my lift.

Barn toilet...can u read the sign?

Garage - Stuffed BUT with 2 Fridges

Hope this works

Here's the sign....hehehe

Bill
    Last edited by BCinPhx; 02-17-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    Current stuff:
    91 850i
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ictureid=11012
    01 Porsche 996 Cab
    1 Audi tt Conv
    1 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    1 Chevy 4x4 crew cab

71 MGB GT x 2
    47 Willys Wagon - fixin'
    54 Chevy 1/2 ton - fixin'
    [/SIZE]

My Cars
    E31 4.4, E66 V12, E70 TT
    ^ I'm so jealous of you Barn garage! So much space! I've always wanted one, but you can't exactly have a barn in the middle of London

My Cars
    1996 850ci
    "Trixie" keeping guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oxford Green Metallic, Parchment leather, 854 badge, EDC stock struts, M-Sport springs, 3.91 LSD, CSI rear sway, 18" M-Pars, M-Sport wheel w/flappy paddles, CD-43 head unit, Strong Strut brace, Euro FTPs, CSI rear defuser
    Previous -
    '70 2002
    '92 525it e34 - Touring
    '97 530i e39
    '06 325xi e91 - Touring

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP 6spd
    I'm a first time homeowner. Garage is your standard 2-car setup, attached to the house, low ceiling. This is a pic from 3 months into homeownership and the first week I owned the 8er. We were doing a little bit of garage cleanup, the 8er helped by holding some small items for me while I took the picture

It's a little messier now. Empty boxes from parts being shipped in, old parts laying around, floor is dirtier thanks to grease an grime from the "Nasty 8", tools all over the place. I need to clean up. I now have a few tool cabinets in there and am looking into perhaps building a sturdy workbench and some shelving for storage. Also planning to epoxy the floor, finish the drywall up and cover it all in paint. Cherry on top will be my BMW flag dead-center on the wall there.

Last edited by Enemy; 02-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.

My Cars
    1972 911 3.6l widebody

And with the other car, up on the little lift.

And doesn't everyone have a video about their garage?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhoGFBMsrM[/ame]
    Jack Olsen - 1972 Porsche 911
    My Car - Website for my Garage

My Cars
    1972 911 3.6l widebody
    Thanks. Here's a video that shows the lift in action, and also has pictures from when I installed it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WdyR-aOtpw[/ame]
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 06-30-2012 at 01:57 AM.
    Jack Olsen - 1972 Porsche 911
    My Car - Website for my Garage

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    I used a steel frame structure for 2 new detached garages, with wood girts and purlins, sheathed inside and out and sided with cedar. It's overkill, but this area has both seismic and wind restrictions, so I figured I'd build things bomb-proof. One has a floor drain, and I'll run a tarp on a cable to isolate splashing. IMHO, the best thing you can do for your garage is install commercial glass doors and get some light in the place. Think of any gas station you ever saw; the bay doors were mostly glass, except for the bottom row. Most home garages are like caves because the doors are solid or have tiny windows. And if you're starting from scratch, use at least 12' sidewalls; I'm sorry I didn't go 16' and make it a 2 story structure. I put a loft in one, but it's a knuckle dragger at the sides.

Both of the detached garages were also built for adaptability when the time comes to move on; they can easily be re-purposed as residential space, with utilities already stubbed in.

How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftGirl View Post
    Max Lumens: LOVE YOUR ENTIRE HOME! Would love to look out my window and not see another house!

Glass doors would be really nice. however, I've had "problems" with people knowing where I live or where my cars are parked in the city. Right now the garage door is often closed. Getting another upper window (or two) would be more realistic for me.
    If you're in the neighborhood...

Agree on the privacy issue in an urban area. I hung tarps on cables to keep water off the lifts and tools, and will eventually run a cable and curtains across the doorways for light and water control. You could do that for privacy/security also. My work bays face due south and it gets uncomfortably bright, gotta wear shades to work 8^)

Here's what my last "garage" looked like-

How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    That was two garages ago Max - this was your last garage...
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    '98 840ci

Finally, a typical UK garage for comparison purposes.

Please excuse poor quality pics - iPhone/ bad light etc.

Note: A whole 2 inches of clearance on each side of the mirrors, this is extremely ample, or even generous - arguably, I could manage with just 1" each side.

Garage2.jpg

Once the rear of the car is half way in, 2 very careful full wheel locks, while inching my way backwards, allow the car to be manoeuvred to the desired position flush against the opposite wall, enabling the drivers door to be opened the full 7 inches (this is the maximum possible without touching the wall on either side).
    Since I started renting the garage I have needed to cut down on my nutritional intake somewhat, however this is worth it for the sake of E31-ownership.

Garage1.jpg

And here is a quick picture of my house just so I'm not left out of that part of this discussion:

a.aaa.jpg

My Cars
    840Ci and 330Ci

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    My old workshop.....I miss it almost as much as I miss that car.

My Cars
    bmw 850i

Here's the one I use most of the time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast