Thread: Trying to program E36 DME - Progman

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4

Trying to program E36 DME - Progman

I have LPCapital's prepackaged Progman running using the Full Start changes files. SSS tries to program the DME in my E36 multiple times and fails every time around 10 seconds into programming the DME. I am using a Gert interface for whatever it's worth.

These two following pics are when I used Full_Start.iso

Figuring it was a issue because Progman is setup to run with OPS right now, and the E36 requires EDIC, I ran changes v2.iso and installed those files. However, with that installed, Progman will not move past the screen RIGHT BEFORE programming that says "Checking battery voltage..." even though 13.4v is hardcoded into Progman. It hangs there every time, tried multiple times programming the DME with no success.

I have INPA running mint, DIS v57 running mint, and Progman seems to have no issues communicating with the car, it reads the ZCS and DME versions, VIN number, DME software versions all fine.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
    Last edited by Smitherines; 02-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    2001 BMW 750iL Black on Black fully loaded
    1997 BMW M3/4/6 - Awaiting turbo
    2001 Audi S4 - VR6 turbo swap in progress
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    In your c:\EDIABAS\Bin\Ediabas.ini file, is Interface =STD:OBD? PROGMAN does not recognise ADS. Run Gert's interface in OBD mode after you have checked the settings.

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    David, I'm 99% sure that I'm in obd mode. I installed inpa in obd mode, and I ran obd setup in the hardware folder as well, and all the registry files checked out.

But that's with SSS using the OPS interface. The E36 requires an EDIC interface, right?
    Last edited by Smitherines; 02-14-2012 at 06:23 AM.
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Yes, with DIS v44 I can code/program my E36 with Interface =ADS in c:\EDIABAS\Bin\Ediabas.ini, but to achieve the same outcome using PROGMAN I must use OBD mode. I have only run PROGMAN with changes_v2.iso and it works fine with either of Gert's interfaces.
    Last edited by David Mc; 02-14-2012 at 07:16 AM.

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    David, did you have any voltage detection issues when running changes v2 when programming your dme? All the other preliminary voltage checks that progman does all check out fine. It's the check RIGHT before it programs the dme that is hangs on.

And does it matter what ediabas.ini is ser to inside the virtual machine for progman?
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I have only ever run PROGMAN with a charger connected and have never had any issues. You only need to worry about the Ediabas.ini settings on the Windows side as due to the type of interfaces we use, PROGMAN still communicates with the car using EDIABAS ( I use version 6.4.7).

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    Interesting. I have mine hooked up to a battery charger all the time feeding in at least 13v. Perhaps my install is faulty? I know in fact that my Ediabas.ini is set to OBD. On Gert's interface, ADS mode is in the middle, and OBD is on top? I'm pretty sure the yellow LED is only active in OBD mode, correct?
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Smitherines, any particular reason you don't want to use WinKFP? It should be quicker and is probably safer since it doesn't require any significant hacks

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    Hey Terra, I'm not sure if you remember the issue I was having when trying to program the DME using WINKFP. It would error out as it was getting ready to program the DME. Here was the code I'm getting with the battery charger installed. On an IBM T30 with a dedicated serial port.

I need to try a fresh install. Are there any negative effects of installing a later INPA?
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Back then you were using a regular OBDII interface right? I would try setting WinKFP to ADS mode and see what happens. Otherwise... it might be worth using DIS. E36 M3 should be old enough where DIS v44 should still have the latest DME updates for it

Also it seems like Progman and WinKFP might actually be generating the same error for you.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    Honestly terra, I'm am 99% sure I was using gerts interface back then. I should probably try a fresh install first and go from there. I'm thinking when hitting obd setup back in the day that all the registry entries weren't intact.

Which install files for inpa should I use from the 4shared site? I'll grab the e36 daten files from my progman install real quick.
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitherines View Post
    Honestly terra, I'm am 99% sure I was using gerts interface back then. I should probably try a fresh install first and go from there. I'm thinking when hitting obd setup back in the day that all the registry entries weren't intact.

Which install files for inpa should I use from the 4shared site? I'll grab the e36 daten files from my progman install real quick.
    I would use the EDIABAS 6.4.3 image as your base install, then get BMW standard tools 2.10.0 and install that (it comes with WinKFP 5.2.1). Make sure you backup the old EDIABAS if you want to use DIS.

I could've sworn it was an OBDII interface, simply because I remember you were having problems connecting to the airbag module (which does require an ADS interface on the E36s). Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else, it has been a while.

In any case, I would definitely try using Gert's interface in ADS mode.

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    Okay, sounds good. Where do I get standard tools 2.10? I didn't see any standard tools files on the 4shared site.

Are there any com port settings I should change? I'm pretty sure I need to turn off fast baud rate in winkfp as well.

Question. The Ignition and Battery black circles should light up with gerts cable on a dedicated serial port, right? Should the boxes still go black with a USB-serial interface as well?
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Okay, sounds good. Where do I get standard tools 2.10? I didn't see any standard tools files on the 4shared site.

Are there any com port settings I should change? I'm pretty sure I need to turn off fast baud rate in winkfp as well.

Question. The Ignition and Battery black circles should light up with gerts cable on a dedicated serial port, right? Should the boxes still go black with a USB-serial interface as well?
    https://rapidshare.com/files/980891824/setup_2100.zip

I personally use COM1 - but I'm also using a D-CAN interface which has an integrated USB-serial interface. My ignition/battery detect work fine.

I think ADS interfaces require a native serial port though. I'm not sure about the com ports since I never worked with an E36

My Cars
    E38, BNR32, E36, B5S4
    Alright! I'm getting my software downloaded and try to get everything installed tonight and I will report back tomorrow morning with results and see whats going on. My first task will be to get INPA's black orbs lighting up. Then go from there and try getting WINKFP working. Then get Progman working.

Wish me luck!

Okay, I have ediabas 6.4.7 installed. I backed up EDIABAS and INPA folders and installed BMW Standard Tools 2.10. I forgot what I need to do to setup WinKFP properly. I have SP-E36-DATEN already or whatever it is in a .rar. What do I do with these files now?

UPDATE: I installed EDIABAS 6.4.7 and only selected EDIABAS/INPA during the install. I selected ADS during the install. The environmental tables were already modified when I installed INPA last time. I changed the interface to ADS and IP and port to 192.168.68.1 and 6801 respectively. I then ran ADS setup. Restarted PC and ran INPA.IPO. Ran perfect, ID'ed all the modules and whatnot. Check.

Backed up the EDIABAS and INPA folders. Installed BMW Standard Tools 2.10. Selected STD:OBD during install since there was no ADS option. Modified the new ediabas.ini file and changed interface to ADS and IP and port to 192.168.68.1 and 6801 respectively. Opened up the new INPA and it errored out. Opened the old INPA and it errored out. Changed the interface back to STD:OBD and now they wouldnt error out. INPA 3.0.1 will not connect to the car. Strange. Backed up the new EDIABAS and INPA folders and restored the original EDIABAS and INPA folders and ran ADS setup. Opened up INPA 3.0.1 and it works perfect.

Opened up WinKFP, went to Options, checked Show Programming Voltage and closed that screen out. Import the assembly line data from SP-DATEN-E36/daten. Then closed out WinKFP and copied the files from SP-DATEN-E36/ECU and /SGDAT to C:/Ediabas/ECU and C:/ECC-APPS/NCS/SGDAT respectively and overwrote any files.

Opened WinKFP back up and selected Comfort Mode, then Enter ZUSB and entered 1407136, hit okay, and then selected enter VIN and entered the full 17 digits. Proceeded to hit okay, and went back out to the main screen where I hit program, and this is what I get...

Not sure where to go with this...this was on Gert's interface with a native serial port.
    Last edited by Smitherines; 02-18-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2016 ZX14R
    1993 R32 GTR V-Spec

My Cars
    72 2002tii, 87 300 SDL, 91 M5, 95 M3 LTW
    Alright! I'm getting my software downloaded and try to get everything installed tonight and I will report back tomorrow morning with results and see whats going on. My first task will be to get INPA's black orbs lighting up. Then go from there and try getting WINKFP working. Then get Progman working.

Wish me luck!

Okay, I have ediabas 6.4.7 installed. I backed up EDIABAS and INPA folders and installed BMW Standard Tools 2.10. I forgot what I need to do to setup WinKFP properly. I have SP-E36-DATEN already or whatever it is in a .rar. What do I do with these files now?

UPDATE: I installed EDIABAS 6.4.7 and only selected EDIABAS/INPA during the install. I selected ADS during the install. The environmental tables were already modified when I installed INPA last time. I changed the interface to ADS and IP and port to 192.168.68.1 and 6801 respectively. I then ran ADS setup. Restarted PC and ran INPA.IPO. Ran perfect, ID'ed all the modules and whatnot. Check.

Backed up the EDIABAS and INPA folders. Installed BMW Standard Tools 2.10. Selected STD:OBD during install since there was no ADS option. Modified the new ediabas.ini file and changed interface to ADS and IP and port to 192.168.68.1 and 6801 respectively. Opened up the new INPA and it errored out. Opened the old INPA and it errored out. Changed the interface back to STD:OBD and now they wouldnt error out. INPA 3.0.1 will not connect to the car. Strange. Backed up the new EDIABAS and INPA folders and restored the original EDIABAS and INPA folders and ran ADS setup. Opened up INPA 3.0.1 and it works perfect.

Opened up WinKFP, went to Options, checked Show Programming Voltage and closed that screen out. Import the assembly line data from SP-DATEN-E36/daten. Then closed out WinKFP and copied the files from SP-DATEN-E36/ECU and /SGDAT to C:/Ediabas/ECU and C:/ECC-APPS/NCS/SGDAT respectively and overwrote any files.

Opened WinKFP back up and selected Comfort Mode, then Enter ZUSB and entered 1407136, hit okay, and then selected enter VIN and entered the full 17 digits. Proceeded to hit okay, and went back out to the main screen where I hit program, and this is what I get...

Not sure where to go with this...this was on Gert's interface with a native serial port.
    Ever get any success with this?
    WANTED: 18" BBS RCj's

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Any updates on this?
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Looks to me like 10MDS412.PRG is missing from c:\EDIABAS\Ecu.

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3 Coupe
    No there is nothing missed...just make i bridge with a small cable between pin14(+) and pin18(programming voltage) in diagnostic socked and go in winkfp options and deaktivate "programming voltage" and activate "AIF write after programm" now it should work....

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i M Sport
    Any luck with this im having the same exact issue and all i want to do is add the new vin number to the dme. Please help.