Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Uneven Rear Tire Wear

My Cars
    '06 Z4 Roadster 3.0si

Uneven Rear Tire Wear

I have uneven tire wear on my rear tires, not sure if this is a suspension problem or normal, but my rears are completely worn out on the inside treads, the outside treads are still OK. Here is my setup:
    2006 Z4 3.0si
    Suspension: H&R sport springs and Koni shocks
    Wheels: CSL reps, 19x8.5 40mm offset front, 19x9.5 45mm offset rear
    Tires: General Exclaim UPH, 235/35 front, 265/30 rear

Thanks
    - Mike

My Cars
    97 M3(sold), E30 M3
    lower your tire pressure

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Alignment?

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by jaajavon View Post
    lower your tire pressure
    +1

This is a sign that your tire pressure is too high. The reverse wear patten would indicate your pressure is too low.

My Cars
    2014 BMW Z4 35is
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloce1 View Post
    I have uneven tire wear on my rear tires, not sure if this is a suspension problem or normal, but my rears are completely worn out on the inside treads, the outside treads are still OK. Here is my setup:
    2006 Z4 3.0si
    Suspension: H&R sport springs and Koni shocks
    Wheels: CSL reps, 19x8.5 40mm offset front, 19x9.5 45mm offset rear
    Tires: General Exclaim UPH, 235/35 front, 265/30 rear

Thanks

Tire pressure has has little to do with it. You are running too much negative camber in the rear. Awesome on high performance track days but sacrifices tires on the street. Tire pressure wear will either wear too much in center tread (over inflated) or wear too much on both edges of tire (under inflated). Negative camber wears the inside tread only and positive camber wears the outside tread. Most performance cars are designed with a certain amount of negative camber to help in corners but too much is not always a good thing. Looks like from your set up you lowered the car and the suspension is not in the upper arch of the suspension travel, the camber was never reset for the current stance. This would throw a lot of negative camber out there eating that innner tread.
    I race vipers as an amateu, run 335 fronts and 355 rear street tires when not on slicks. Even those massive meats wear quickly on the inner tread if I don't reset the camber and toe after a track day.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I know your new, so I have to let you know-your answering a post on a thread that is nearly 5yrs old! Your response though, is absolutely correct! Welcome to the forums.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 12-17-2016 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    2004 bmw m3
    I have the same problem with my 04 bmw m3, any suggests...?

My Cars
    2014 BMW Z4 35is
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    I know your new, so I have to let you know-your answering a post on a thread that is nearly 5yrs old! Your response though, is absolutely correct! Welcome to the forums.
    I was searching for some info on tire pressure, just bought my wife a z4 35is and replaced the run craps with PSS. Found this thread with some no so good info and had to chime in, may help someone else out doing a search in the future. If I see misinformation on threads I try to correct it as best my limited knowledge allows. Forums are awesome informative tools but they can also be very dangerous depending on who is replying.

Thanks for the welcome! I really enjoy this little roadster, it zips around like a 4 wheel motorcycle! I hope the wife will enjoy her Christmas present!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rgalebiz View Post
    I have the same problem with my 04 bmw m3, any suggests...?
    Read original reply above, reset alignment to factory default. If it is at factory settings then you just may be driving hard or have worn some parts in your suspension, your alignment tech should be able to spot that if they are worth a damn. Some cars have aggressive alignments and will eat tires faster than say a Camry or Civic. Price you pay for precision handling.

My Cars
    2004 545i Sport
    Take it to an alignment shop and have them take OUT as much neg camber as possible.... done.