Thread: Intake Manifold Exploded - HELP Please

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 2.5i SMG

Intake Manifold Exploded - HELP Please

Need Help. Garage kept 2004 Z4 with 110K miles (full and timely maintenance history) Monday morning, stuck the key in the ignition, gave the key a half turn (no foot on gas or anything), and BOOM! The car's engine was dead (or I was afraid to turn the key again - there's full electric power).

At first, I expected the worst which to me would be a blown head, piston, valve rod or something requiring 1,000's of dollars to rebuild or fix.

I popped the hood to the sweet smell of atomized fine motor oil. I looked at the black BMW plastic-fiber glass where the intake manifold once was only to see the cover plates and intake manifold cracked to pieces. The engine was otherwise clean as the day it was bought.

I asked a mechanic friend to look at it. He confirmed it was the intake manifold that shattered. He called a BMW mechanic friend of his in VA Beach that said "It happens all the time. Fixed one just last week." [This I find incredibly hard to believe especially with a car with this low a mileage.] The response, "The BMW intake manifold is all plastic and fiberglass this days. It doesn't take much to have it go up. A simple mis-fire, back-fire, or whatever. They get old and crack."

A replacement OEM intake manifold runs around $650 with 3-4 hours to install worth of labor. At this point, I'm not sure where to turn. I don't have 1,000's for a repair, but I need the car back and running soon.

A. How common is this - really?
    B. What can be done to prevent it from happening again?
    (note again - this car has an impecable service record)
    C. What causes it - really?
    D. I this something I can DIY with a mechanic friend that's never worked on a BMW before?

Otherwise - without knowing what really caused it, I have no assurance it won't happen again with a replaced intake manifold. I'm reluctant to take it to even the local BMW dealer unless I know what I'm in for repair cost wise. I will have to have it towed to the repair shop and I have to make certain they can fix it before I have it towed. I can't afford 5-6 grand for a rebuilt engine (which I believe is fine - this is just the intake manifold to my knowledge).

HELP - Please.

My Cars
    Montego 135i/6
    wrong sections. But I for one have never heard of an intake manifold exploding... Even if it is plastic it is really hard still.
    2009 135i/6 | Cobb Stg 2+ | VRSF Downpipes | aFe Intake | Evolution Intercooler | Evolution CP | Apex ARC8s | BMW Performance Spoiler | Carbon Fiber

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    go and buy used from junk yard
    nothing to loose , manifold replacement is 3-4H DIY

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Find out why so you can prevent it from happening again. Usually it is a backfire in the intake manifold that does it. Unburnt fuel exploding back up into the intake. Does not happen very often.

I like the "buy used, DIY" route. There is a lot of crap in and around the intake manifold on the M54 and lots of wiring. Be patient, label connections, take pictures, etc. Ideally replace the intake manifold gaskets and service the crankcase vent system and DISA valve while in there. Also replace the hose from the secondary air pump since it gets brittle with age.

My Cars
    E90 335i
    Did your OBC look like this right before it happened?

M5 vs. Maserati!!
    2011 335i sedan 6MT, JB4 w/FlexFuel wires, AA 4" DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, UUC DSSR+SSK, BMS CDV, ER CP, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
    Previous:
    2000 M5, LeMans Blue, H&R coilovers, custom exhaust, & assorted aesthetic mods.
    1995 M3, Schrick cams, Euro HFM, 24 lbs injectors, AA exhaust, Conforti chip, UUC LTW flywheel, UUC performance organic clutch. Assorted aesthetic mods.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    I have a 2.5 manifold for the m54 BTW

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 2.5i SMG
    The wierd part is this car has never backfired - ever. The car had not even turned over one complete revolution. It sounded as if someone put an IED under my hood It went off when the ignition key was turned.

'Exploded' was the sound it made. The rest however did not look like the work of a bomb. Everything was largely unchanged. The damange was to the top two manifold plastic cover planels that had every one of their mounts broken and laid loosely on the manifold. The top fine oil aeriolizer arm separted from each of the 6 arms of the intake manifold. The manifold itself had a long crack that split its entire length from north to south opposite the side that feeds the engine air.

I'm still getting parts priced. If age of the manifold had anything to do with the unit going the way it did, I'm leary about buying a used one from a junk yard. Just wish I could find out what really caused this.

Sorry about posting in the wrong section (should it be in maintenance help?). If there's a way to move it to the right section - please do or let me know how - much appreciated.
    Last edited by mDig Z4; 02-10-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: .

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The backfire was the explosion. I don't really have a theory as to why. One common problem on these cars is a failing crankcase evacuation system. Perhaps a clogged system and excess crankcase pressure can cause a problem.

I doubt it was a purely electrical issue, where gas vapor and an electrical short that acted like a match caused the explosion, although that could be a remote possibility.

Post in the E46 forum.

My Cars
    German
    pics

My Cars
    2005 bmw z4 2.5l

I was told it was a backfire or misfire too but then...

[QUOTE=mDig Z4;23686134]The wierd part is this car has never backfired - ever. The car had not even turned over one complete revolution. It sounded as if someone put an IED under my hood It went off when the ignition key was turned.

'Exploded' was the sound it made. The rest however did not look like the work of a bomb. Everything was largely unchanged. The damange was to the top two manifold plastic cover planels that had every one of their mounts broken and laid loosely on the manifold. The top fine oil aeriolizer arm separted from each of the 6 arms of the intake manifold. The manifold itself had a long crack that split its entire length from north to south opposite the side that feeds the engine air.

***You can find the part you need at Amazon, making sure this part is regularly check can save you!!!! Sadly I only found out after my car blew up much like yours

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1GMFyE8...2FZNYUhWk6WUc/ it is called intake manifold adjuster or disa unit most places sell it for $200-$350, Amazon carries it for under $65

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    I've seen a couple of them over the years. Nobody knows why it happens. Replaced them and they never returned with the same problem.

My Cars
    2006 BMW M3 Comp Pack
    HAPPENED TO ME today. Sounded like a cannon

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    I don't see how a single backfire would cause this. I would look for a leaky injector allowing fuel to accumulate in the plenum.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    I don't see how a single backfire would cause this. I would look for a leaky injector allowing fuel to accumulate in the plenum.
    Gotta agree, gotta be something like that. Leaky injector makes sense, could leak a bit after shutoff, pool fuel in the intake, valve timing off just a bit, flamefront travels back out intake valve into manifold, boom

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4
    Could this have something to do with the current recall?