Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What oil do you put in your e60?

My Cars
    X5
    You can't go wrong with Mobil 1 and Rotella.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525I
    The last two times I've changed my 2004 525i I used the Valvoline Synpower, but I think I got 10w-30.after reading that most people run 5w or even 0w I was wondering if maybe I should try 5w to see how it feels or do you think it would even make a noticeable difference? if mileage matters at all I'm around 129k

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    People often pick a brand and stick with it, for many things. They do with cigarettes. And colas (few regularly drink both Coke and Pepsi). And most people used to have one brand of beer that they always bought.

Should we all be using the same oil? Certainly not. Should we each pick one brand, or the same brand, and use it for the life of the car? (BMW didn't. In the late 1990's BMW had a deal with Shell. Now it's with Castrol.)

Personally, I think it comes down to several factors. One size doesn't fit all.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-different-oil

My Cars
    2004 E60 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    People often pick a brand and stick with it, for many things. They do with cigarettes. And colas (few regularly drink both Coke and Pepsi). And most people used to have one brand of beer that they always bought.

Should we all be using the same oil? Certainly not. Should we each pick one brand, or the same brand, and use it for the life of the car? (BMW didn't. In the late 1990's BMW had a deal with Shell. Now it's with Castrol.)

Personally, I think it comes down to several factors. One size doesn't fit all.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-different-oil

I agree totally....3 yrs ago I posted here with me using 0-W40/30 Castrol EU formula and despite that my 545 never could kick those sporadic coming out of nowhere cold start random misfires.....so read on one of the forums the suggestion to use bmw 10W60 (M5 oil)for the winter, it’s pricy .....but finally first time in 7 yrs kicked these misfires to the curb!
    especially for the v8's heavier grades run better in the BMW’s
    ">'85 Mlite E30, '98 E36, 1998 528i, 5 spd manual, black on black, sold in 2012 and still going past 350Kkms, now MYSTIC Blue 2004 545i, 6 spd Steptr., Adaptive steering and Xenons, Anti dazzle mirrors. Aux+Belt-Chime+Dig speedo+iDrive discl. 2007 TCU+BT Coded+Sure BT Board

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    I think what we are all looking for is the relative performance base lines of a synthetic oil. Be it a standard to compare against, such as ACEA A3/B4, API SN, BMW LL01, Porche A40, etc. Here is a link that allows us to overlay these various specifications to determine what benefit are provided. As a example, the API SN synthetic oil rating offers minimal protection compared to a ACEA A3/B4 oil.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

My Cars
    2010 BMW 545
    2008 550i
    Use BMW M 0w40
    Runs quieter and cooler (oil temperature)

Bmw recommends 5w30 now on almost all cars now. I bought the last stock of 0w40 that my dealer had, once its out will probably switch to Pennzoil Euro 5w30, since I can’t seem to find pennzoil 0w40 or 5w40, been running in 03 530i.

My Cars
    UBER
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Whatever oil the BMW dealer sees fit to put in
    That's exactly how I do mine as well. And amazingly, the BMW dealership where I buy these supplies is the same or less in price compared to what the chain auto parts stores (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, PepBoys, etc.) charge for synthetic oil and the filter kits.

My Cars
    2009 550I Sport Package
    Royal Purple 36140 HPS 10W-40 High Performance Street Motor Oil
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... -- WOW-- What a Ride!" [author unknown]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123