Thread: Idler and Tension pulley replacement costs

My Cars
    2002 325i

Idler and Tension pulley replacement costs

I'm one of the many that need to replace these two pulleys as they squeak on my '02 325i with 57k miles on it. Oddly enough after the car warms up for a bit or I drive on the freeway, the squeak goes away. Anyways I've read many people on here replacing their own pulleys. Now I'm not mechanically inclined at all so I went to a shop. They want $600 to replace both. Ouch.

So I find that I can get both pulleys from bimmer bmw parts online for around $90. My question is, how hard is it really to do this job? I found a DIY vid on youtube, but he's working on a 330i and doesn't show the removal of the air filter housing and fan, which I understand is the only things I need to remove to get to the pulleys. Are there any other DIY vids anyone else can direct me to?

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    $600 ?????? Holy sheet! DIY !! Its not hard at all. You just gotta move a lot of stuff outta way. That's it.

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    $600 ?????? Holy sheet! DIY !! Its not hard at all. You just gotta move a lot of stuff outta way. That's it.

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    The Pulleys should be around $50 for both, they are hydralic, so all you need is the pulleys them self. The install is around $120 or so.

Yours are probably making noise like mine. Mine start making noise when there is good heat in them
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    03 325i, 02 Jetta
    DIY..BELIEVE ME is EASY!!..just follow the steps..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0EKjuxlpY[/ame]

My Cars
    2002 330ci
    The only thing you have to get out of the way is the radiator fan. Its a very easy diy if you have a manual tranny. If not, you'll need a special tool to remove the fan if you have an auto. Replace the belts too while you're in there.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i (E92)
    DIY dont bother spending your money... follow that YT video and you'll be set
    My Previous Vehicle - In the Edmonton/Northern AB Area? We're having a meet... Click Here

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Follow this to remove belt(s), then just remove the tensioner pulley with a 5/8" socket, and the belt tensioner pulley with a T-50 torx bit.
    http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_belts.htm

I replaced both of mine last week for $60 from pelicanparts.com
    Last edited by WoLF; 01-31-2012 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by ezbmr View Post
    The Pulleys should be around $50 for both, they are hydralic, so all you need is the pulleys them self. The install is around $120 or so.
    I was under the impression that the tensioner pulley was mechanical (spring loaded) and not hydrolic. Is there a way to confirm this? My car is an automatic.

My Cars
    2006 330i

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by motohead

I was under the impression that the tensioner pulley was mechanical (spring loaded) and not hydrolic. Is there a way to confirm this? My car is an automatic.
    Yes. Open your hood.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    I believe that since 2000 they have been hydraulic, but I could be wrong.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    Which is considered better or having longer life...
    '02 325i ZSP - Trunk Lip Spoiler; Front License Plate Delete; K&N; Black Grilles; Smoke Corner/Marker Lights; LED Tails; Upgraded Home-link Mirror; Weather-Tech Floor Mats; Turner Motorsports Underdrive Pulley Kit... More to come
    Quote Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
    That car is like a stripper; totally hot on the outside, fully damaged on the inside.

Clean6 by E46 Dude, on Flickr

My Cars
    2003 325xi wagon
    I had mine done not too long ago. I had my independent mechanic replace idler pulley, tensioner and water pump. I don't have the receipt in front of me, but I think it was around $300 parts and labor for all of that.

Mine was fairly loud noise, typical of bearings starting to fail from I think the tensioner. He recommended replacing the water pump while he was in there, since it would not add much to the labor cost. I bought my car used and did not know how old the pump was. He also pressure tested the cooling system and he said the tank, radiator and hoses looked fine.

Antarctic White Super Sports Wagon with C.B. and optional Rally Fun Pack

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    How do you test the cooling system? If there s sth like that, I d like to do me too.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    11 135i DCT, 01 325ci 5m
    Simple. DIY for sure.
    Life's simple--You make choices and you don't look back._____Linea Corse Z2S 19x8.5/9.5 et30/22.5 235/35//255/30 T1Rs

My Cars
    2001 330Ci
    I noticed a little bit of smell while running my ac this evening.

Hmmmm...
    ~ 18x8 CSL Wheels, LED Tails, LED Plate Lights, Clear Corners, Clear Indicators, Painted Reflectors, USASpec,
    ZHP Shifter, Painted Headlight Trim~

My Cars
    2005 325xi ZPP, ZCW
    cost me $75 for both pulleys and the belt (all3 OEM) and 1 hr labor from TMS

p e r f e c t 5 0 / 5 0
    Before... After to come

My Cars
    2004 325i
    I believe that since 2000 they have been hydraulic, but I could be wrong.
    I have an '04 and it has the mechanical spring type.

Which is considered better or having longer life...
    I am keeping my mechanical. BMW recommends it be replaced with the hydraulic type because of a number of complaints of squeaking from the mechanical. I don't believe it's worth it, especially if there is nothing wrong with your tensioner.

You can get your pulleys from Autozone or Advance. Dayco or Duralast pulleys are the same part as OEM. It even says "made in Germany" on the pulley. :-)

+1 on DIY'ing this. It's simple. Put a new belt on while your at it.

My Cars
    330CI
    I just replaced my pullies, waterpump, expansion tank, hoses and belts last week. Main tensioner pulley and water pump it turned out where on the verge of failure. Took my friend and I about 4 hours to do everything even with a 2 hour delay waiting on a correct part to show up at Autozone( they sold me the wrong tension pulley ) I also paid a little extra and got the Bosch metal water pump and the better belt with carbon fiber in it from a source in LA

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If anyone is still looking for a DIY on the Idler Pulley Replacement, check out the link below.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    For an '02, I'd be looking at doing an entire cooling system revamp. Low miles, but most of the cooling system parts are made of plastic and tend to get brittle with age. Doing the pulleys themselves is not difficult. Maybe an hour of labor. The entire cooling system can be done in 3 or 4 hours, assuming that nothing gives you trouble. I'd double that time estimate for those that aren't used to turning wrenches. My E46 is an '01 and what gave me the most trouble was hoses really didn't want to let go of their connectors. Since I was replacing everything anyway, I just cut them. You can do everything for around $600, or under.

As for the "special" tool for the fan clutch, I forgot to order one and discovered that a plain jane 1-1/4" open end works just fine.