Thread: Battery Drains Too Fast

My Cars
    03 BMW 325I

Question Battery Drains Too Fast

like the title says my battery dies to quick i really dont know whats the problem
    i had a duralast battery for like 2 years until it die
    i just purchase one form the dealer and it hasnt even been a month and it die on me already...
    i changed it again and the same problem... :/ i really dont know whats wrong with it...i check for lights that may stay on but nothing... its really pissing me off that i can figure it out...
    any help?

My Cars
    04 325ci
    Check the alternator.

My Cars
    03 BMW 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by forzam View Post
    Check the alternator.
    i checked the alternator its fine i disconnected the positive while the car was on and it didnt turned off so its good...
    it gotta be something else....

My Cars
    04 325ci
    Does the battery drain after the car has been running or after it has been sitting overnight?

My Cars
    03 BMW 325I
    Quote Originally Posted by forzam View Post
    Does the battery drain after the car has been running or after it has been sitting overnight?
    after it sits overnight like if i used it in the morning the next day wont start and if it starts u can hear or feel that the battery its not strong enough...

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    There's something in your car that's drawing power when it should not be doing so. That is, this "something" is remaining "on" after you've shut off the engine.

Have the battery charged and attach a digital volt meter to the power lugs under the hood. With the doors closed and no key in the ignition start removing and reinstalling fuses - 1 fuse at a time. Your volt meter will show a steady decline in the voltage until you pull the "right" fuse. Do this "intelligently" - use the fuse chart stored in the fuse box to identify potential culprits. As an example, the windshield washer jets have a heater that may be improperly "on." Also, if your car has the cold weather package I would check things such as seat heaters.

Good hunting!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330Cic
    I had a battery drain and it turned out to be an FSR, final stage resistor, gone bad. When it's bad, it doesn't let the car "sleep" when off and therefore the battery drains. The dealer found the issue for me. They are known to go bad, so you may want to check that.
    John: '06 330Cic ZHP

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando
    I had a battery drain and it turned out to be an FSR, final stage resistor, gone bad. When it's bad, it doesn't let the car "sleep" when off and therefore the battery drains. The dealer found the issue for me. They are known to go bad, so you may want to check that.
    What he said!

My Cars
    bmw 316 se e46
    I currently have a similar problem to this. I have already recently renewed the fsu resistor, alternator and battery. Is the problem likely to be a circuit drawing power as its draining both over night and when in motion! do I need to carry out the voltage test on each fuse circuit?

My Cars
    03 325i, 02 Jetta
    yeah do you have subs, amps, heated seats that may stay on, interior lights, alarm..etc?

My Cars
    bmw 316 se e46
    Its a base model. Nothing additional other than a parrot hands free unit interior wise. and all functions seem to be fine until i either go to start the vehicle and I have no power to start the engine or while driving all the dash lights come on, the radio goes then I lose all power whilst driving.
    Thank you for your reply.

Ok so fuse test for circuits didnt highlight a drain on the battery but the battry continues to be drained. all out of ideas now. time to part with the hard earned and get an expert involved.
    Last edited by dave peach; 04-06-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 325i
    ive been experiencing battery drains too. and i thought my battery was going bad but i recently found out my aux fan turns on by its self with the car off. if i pull the plug and put it back on it stays off.

Does the final stage resister have any thing to do with the aux fan/ cooling fan/electrical fan what ever you wanna call it?
    im not having any issues with my blower.

What can cause this?
    i dont want to full the fuse every time i get out of my car. lol

I had a similar problem it was the light in my glovebox and built in flash light and the charger would constantly stay on..

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i ZHP
    If its automatic lock the car and look if the auto trarnny selector in the middle light stays on. If it stays on car doesnt go into sleep mode.
    ///M* Coming soon..

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    So I been having this same issue for a while. I know it isn’t my battery, alternator or FSR. Yet I’m still puzzled. I have taken it to the dealership and they really didn’t give me a solution beside a price of 6,000 to change the blower motor and some wires that are attached but they didn’t guaranteed that would resolved it. Beside the fact that my battery drains over night, my radio works just not the lights on the radio. (If that makes sense) as well my heater does not work, but the ac does.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Tapia, go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers.

Do you understand basic electricity? Im not trying to condescending, but some folks just don’t get electricity. Do you own or can you borrow a good digital volt/ohm meter? Here’s how to find the drain:
    - set up the meter to read amperes (current flow)
    - remove the ground/earth cable from the battery
    - connect one of the meter’s leads (wires) to the ground cable connector
    - connect the other meter lead to the battery’s ground post

NOTE: do not try to start the engine or turn on the audio system as you’ll blow the fuse inside the meter!

- leave the trunk and the front passenger door open.
    - allow the car to go to sleep.
    - note the meter’s reading. It should be less then 70 milliamperes (0.070 amperes = 70ma)
    - remove 1 fuse at a time and check the meter to see if the reading drops to below 70ma
    - reinsert the fuse into fuse slot if the meter reading does not change
    - go to th next fuse until you find the culprit.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB
    Quote Originally Posted by IIAlonzoII View Post
    i checked the alternator its fine i disconnected the positive while the car was on and it didnt turned off so its good...
    it gotta be something else....
    Wrong in so many ways to disconnect alternator while engine is running. If it wasn’t broke before u disconnected the alternator it likelynis now.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Tapia, go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers.

Do you understand basic electricity? Im not trying to condescending, but some folks just don’t get electricity. Do you own or can you borrow a good digital volt/ohm meter? Here’s how to find the drain:
    - set up the meter to read amperes (current flow)
    - remove the ground/earth cable from the battery
    - connect one of the meter’s leads (wires) to the ground cable connector
    - connect the other meter lead to the battery’s ground post

NOTE: do not try to start the engine or turn on the audio system as you’ll blow the fuse inside the meter!

- leave the trunk and the front passenger door open.
    - allow the car to go to sleep.
    - note the meter’s reading. It should be less then 70 milliamperes (0.070 amperes = 70ma)
    - remove 1 fuse at a time and check the meter to see if the reading drops to below 70ma
    - reinsert the fuse into fuse slot if the meter reading does not change
    - go to th next fuse until you find the culprit.
    Is there a YouTube video that I can go by? To get idea.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Search YouTube. It’s actuelly a very easy process.

My Cars
    EXOTICS