Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday's FI Solutions

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by WK446 View Post
    Great work Brad!
    Aw shucks, thanks!
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    Great job!
    Can't wait to start mine... Again.
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Matutino View Post
    Great job!
    Can't wait to start mine... Again.
    You'll have it done in a weekend as usual I'm sure. I can't wait to see what you come up with this time.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Here is the bulkhead fitting installed in the valve cover. Don't mind the dirty engine, I have bigger problems I'm trying to solve right now.

Hmm,

I kinda feel like your car and mine are very similar in what their intentions are
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RRdawho?

Hmm,

I kinda feel like your car and mine are very similar in what their intentions are
    Right now from the out side the car looks stock,including the muffler tips, but lowered. The exhaust is quiet and draws no attention. I've ordered a square set of 17x9" ARC-8 wheels so the stock sleeper look will be going probably next week. Inside, the gauges give it away that something is done to the car. Having the boost and afr in the mirror might be nice for the stealth look but the pillar pod is working for now.

I probably want something from the car that is not obtainable. I want it to be a reliable 600 whp DD car that can perform as good or better than a GT3 Porsche at track days, being able to last for the whole day with out an issue, and be competitive at slalom events. I will take it to the 1/4 mile but it will be just for very occasional shits and giggles. It has only been to the drags once so far. Drag racing is fairly brutal on the car for what you get out of it, that and I think driving and sex should last longer than ~10 seconds

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    Very nice work!
    I didn't want to clutter up Bigugly's thread with my intercooler install but I thought I'd share my solution to the 24x12x4" intercooler integrated into a TT kit.
    Did your kit come with a 4" thick intercooler, did you upgrade, or is this a typo? You had me 2nd guessing, so I just took my tape measure into the garage and confirmed mine is 24x12x3. I was curious if upgrading to the 24x12x4 will provide any benefit, as they are cheap, and my intercooler has lost it's shine
    97 M3 formerly AASC now Technique Tuning Stage II (thanks to Got PSI, Shuasha, BMWPerson, M3 Madbimmer and 99MPower)
    Cut Ring HG | Eboost2 | Aquamist HFS-6 | 6-speed | EVO3+DSSR | 3" Vibrant Exhaust by LukeG | FX-R Retrofit | AST 4100 | TMS Sway Bars | Dynaudio Set 360 | Arc Audio | Pioneer DEH-80PRS

My Cars
    '97 M3
    It's an upgrade and it's a 4" thick core. Stock TT is 18x12x3" core. I painted the new intercooler black for a stock look. You can't see it at all and it will help with corrosion.

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    It's an upgrade and it's a 4" thick core. Stock TT is 18x12x3" core. I painted the new intercooler black for a stock look. You can't see it at all and it will help with corrosion.
    Nice. I've been thinking about intercoolers since the recent thread of someone gaining along the lines of ~40hp by upgrading, and I didn't realize how inexpensive they are. Did you gain anything and did Nick have to retune?
    97 M3 formerly AASC now Technique Tuning Stage II (thanks to Got PSI, Shuasha, BMWPerson, M3 Madbimmer and 99MPower)
    Cut Ring HG | Eboost2 | Aquamist HFS-6 | 6-speed | EVO3+DSSR | 3" Vibrant Exhaust by LukeG | FX-R Retrofit | AST 4100 | TMS Sway Bars | Dynaudio Set 360 | Arc Audio | Pioneer DEH-80PRS

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by acastillo
    Nice. I've been thinking about intercoolers since the recent thread of someone gaining along the lines of ~40hp by upgrading, and I didn't realize how inexpensive they are. Did you gain anything and did Nick have to retune?
    I have not dynoed yet and I'm still on the 60 lb base tune. I think it's faster. It pulls real hard in forth.

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    It's an upgrade and it's a 4" thick core. Stock TT is 18x12x3" core.
    while I've got my car torn apart, you've peaked my interest in this relatively inexpensive mod .

I can't seem to find an intercooler the same size as TT but 4" thick. As you say, it's 24x12x3 overall, but core is 18x12x3. When I type in 24x12x4, I'm getting results with 30.5" overall length:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-24...a51a31&vxp=mtr

and typing in 18x12x4 gives 11x12x4 cores and 18" overall length:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-FMI...33c042&vxp=mtr

Any link to where you purchased your IC? And do you think it will fit without modifying the fan mount? Visually, it looks like I can add an extra 1" with a bit more trimming to the bumper support, but not if the IC is longer than the one supplied by TT. I'm not concerned with losing brake ducts.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The core is 24x12x4" bought off eBay from CX racing. The overall length is something like 31" but I cut the inlet and the outlet off the end tanks and capped the holes. I then took Vibrant tight radius aluminum elbows, cut them at about the 45* point in the middle of the radius, fitted them to the side/back corner of the end tank, cut new holes in the end tank and welded them on. I spent a bunch of time smoothing out the transition on the inside from end tank to inlet/outlet to get the most flow from the new inlet and outlet. The overall length is now the same as the TT intercooler with the silicon elbows installed which I think was about 31". I am using the stock TT intercooler piping since to inlet/outlet are positioned to line up with the piping. It is actually easier to seal all the sides of the 4" core vs the 3" core because it fills more of the bumper cover. It is not an expensive mod, definitely a performance increase. It took me a bit longer to do at the time but you could probably have it sorted out in a day or so. Let me know if you need any help.

If you don't care about your brake ducts then have at 'er. I was not willing to give them up, I use my brakes like I use the throttle. Brakes are horse power too
    Last edited by chikinhed; 04-25-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    skateboard
    Good work get us some vids.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    The core is 24x12x4" bought off eBay from CX racing.

...The overall length is now the same as the TT intercooler with the silicon elbows installed which I think was about 31".

It is actually easier to seal all the sides of the 4" core vs the 3" core because it fills more of the bumper cover.

If you don't care about your brake ducts then have at 'er. I was not willing to give them up, I use my brakes like I use the throttle. Brakes are horse power too
    Thank you!!!

Some clarification though...
    1. the TT intercooler's overall length is ~31", correct? (hard to measure mine in car)
    2. is the new CXRacing intercooler the same length as the same as the TT intercooler, or only so AFTER making the elbow mods. In other words, can I just slap in the 24x12x4 intercooler without any mods to it and it will match up to the TT silicone elbow placement? If so, this is a cheap and easy mod that I will do very soon.

I agree on the 4" core as the 3" looks a bit recessed from the bumper opening. The 4" will look better.

The reason I'm not concerned with losing the brake ducts is because I'm not on the track much, and don't see repeated braking, or panic stops from 150mph to worry about fade .

Thanks again!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    The 24x12x4 core is ~ 6" wider than the TT intercooler. The inlet/outlets are straight on both intercoolers, the TT kit uses 90* silicon tubes off the intercooler. The total width including the silicon 90s is about 31". The 24x12x4 overall width is about 31", that's why I did the mod so I could use the TT piping. Get it?

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    The 24x12x4 core is ~ 6" wider than the TT intercooler. The inlet/outlets are straight on both intercoolers, the TT kit uses 90* silicon tubes off the intercooler. The total width including the silicon 90s is about 31". The 24x12x4 overall width is about 31", that's why I did the mod so I could use the TT piping. Get it?
    aaah, yes thank you. So I simply need to find an "18x12x4 core" intercooler that has a total length of 24" (no luck on ebay) so that it fits without modification. OR I need to convince you to sell me yours .

You should do a before and after dyno, and then market them to TT owners .

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I will dyno in the next while but I have also installed a T4 exhaust housing and a Steedspeed exhaust manifold so I won't be able to pin point where the gains came from.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt
    Is this the type of FMIC you guys are talking about?
    Yes. I did not find one like that in the size I wanted at the time but that looks like it would do the trick. We would need the center to center measurement of the inlet and outlet.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    ^

My Cars
    97 M3 TTStgII
    Link did not work for me...inlet/outlet size? Found this which looks similar, but it says 2.5" inlet/outlet:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-V-M...4dd046&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I did spend a bunch of time looking for the size and inlet/outlet combo that I wanted before I hit the buy now button but did not find the exact one I needed. You could get a custom made one but the you are talking money. It's best to buy the cheaper one and put the money saved towards a TIG welder. Any DIY turbo build should include the cost of a TIG machine in the budget.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Some good info in this thread.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25
    Some good info in this thread.
    I'm trying to post the useful stuff as I work through it, so much good stuff isn't posted or it is mentioned in a thread that isnt found by searching and people end up reinventing the wheel. I hope my info helps others.

My Cars
    skateboard
    updates?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    2002 S60, 2000 F-250
    Cool stuff - thanks for sharing. Giving me ideas for (far) down the road.....

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast