Thread: E36 Convertible Top Lock Motor Gear

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic

E36 Convertible Top Lock Motor Gear

I have a 1998 328i convertible with the fully automatic top. The top lock motor (the one located in the bow of the top that locks the top to the windshield) is working but the top is not moving. I pulled it apart and there is a plastic gear in there that has basically disintegrated. Does anyone know where I can find just that gear? I really hate to buy the whole motor just to replace the plastic gear! Any help would be appreciated!

Ted

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    I don't know of any supplier for that plastic gear. You would be jackpot lucky if it was the same as one of the power seat plastic gears.
    Best bet is Tischer since they seem to have the best prices I saw on that motor...

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Here is a link for the seat gear, if the gear you need looks like this, then maybe you're home free. Perhaps a call to these guys might get them to provide something that is needed...

http://www.odometergears.com/product...s+E36+90-00/26

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    Its tough to tell if that is the gear since it is disintegrated, but it certainly has to be that style. Thanks so much for the link, I'll try it out.

Ted

My Cars
    M3 1998 S52 (3.2l)
    Sorry to revive the old thread but I just ran into the same situation...did you find the gear anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by stryker14 View Post
    Its tough to tell if that is the gear since it is disintegrated, but it certainly has to be that style. Thanks so much for the link, I'll try it out.

Ted

My Cars
    328i
    The brass gear in the same gearbox is interchangeable with the plastic one, I had two stripped units so made one 'all brass' unit which worked fine.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Vert Manual
    This is where 3D Printers would come in handy right? Good luck!

My Cars
    lots of them
    Seems like a common problem. Anyone have a solution other than $300 for a new motor?

My Cars
    1997 328iC
    I've recently come across this same issue but with some persistence and a couple shots of Jameson I was able to find a repair kit for the top latch motor - http://www.ebay.com/itm/67618370816-...19.m1438.l2649

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 Convertible
    I think this is a very common problem. I took the motor out by removing the plastic covering. This plastic covering has 4 small screws in the front 1 next to the motor inside the housing and two on the sides. to have access to the side screws the top needs to be in a half-open position. By taking these screws out the plastic covering should be released and fall. Now you have access to the motor. It is connected via two screws. take the motor out. you notice a gear housing on the motor assembly that has a black top and is secured by 6 silver screws. removing the screws and the blacktop exposes the gear assembly. take the gears out for inspection and you noticed the white plastic gear broken. you might be able to find the gear assembly on eBay or Amazon. It is priced at near $180 which is very stupid because you could locate the complete motor assembly for about the same price. I found one for $80 and I might get it. But I first want to see if I can fix the broken plastic gear using permanent glue that is made to glue the polypropylene broken gear. it most likely going to fail but I am very cheap and going to try it anyway. You might want to take a different route. Hope it helped.
    Last edited by mkhounani; 06-03-2018 at 02:54 PM.

My Cars
    97 328i convertible
    I've been looking around, and have several used and new sets on ebay.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    I have all the parts at good prices if needed. Text me
    Greg
    410-967-6170