Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turbo Z3 with OBX Manifold and Borg Warner Build

My Cars
    Jeep, Z3, NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak Jacket View Post
    If your at 50 psi at idle seems like the FPR is not getting the proper vaccum source or busted.
    I bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, so I'm going to dial it back down to 42 PSI. I have an aftermarket fuel pump, which slightly flows more fuel than the Walbro GSS340.

Quote Originally Posted by Brody View Post
    Are you sure the flash is taking? What's your plug gap? Ask Brett to increase the timing @ idle and see if it picks up vacuum and holds better.
    The flash software given to me by them shows the tunes were successfully placed into the DME.

My plugged was gapped at 0.018", then I bought another set because those got fouled and regapped to 0.024" to see if it would do anything.
    Last edited by Risen; 05-19-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Risen

I bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, so I'm going to dial it back down to 42 PSI. I have an aftermarket fuel pump, which slightly flows more fuel than the Walbro GSS340.

The flash software given to me by them shows the tunes were successfully placed into the DME.

My plugged was gapped at 0.018", then I bought another set because those got fouled and regapped to 0.024" to see if it would do anything.
    Did .024 help any? .018 is retarded.

My Cars
    Jeep, Z3, NSX
    Gapping it didn't help, but putting the adjustable FPR and bringing the fuel pressure down to 20 PSI and I got the A/F to 10.5 but when cruising, I get 14.7 A/F 60 MPH in 5th @ 2,500 RPM. Idle is still stupid rich, so trying to figure out with Technica. Feels good to be boosting again though.

My Cars
    95 M3, 99 528i M, 98 e39
    awesome! makes me want to go turbo again! car and build look amazing

1995 M3 Vortech Supercharged

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Looks good with the CCWs.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    Too many
    Love the build, but why no OBD1 manifold?

My Cars
    Jeep, Z3, NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomade30 View Post
    Love the build, but why no OBD1 manifold?
    I actually have an OBD1 Manifold sitting in my garage. I'll put it in when I pull the head off to put in a thicker head gasket + new head studs.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Gapping it didn't help, but putting the adjustable FPR and bringing the fuel pressure down to 20 PSI and I got the A/F to 10.5 but when cruising, I get 14.7 A/F 60 MPH in 5th @ 2,500 RPM. Idle is still stupid rich, so trying to figure out with Technica. Feels good to be boosting again though.
    WTF?? You're lowering the FP to 20 psi? And then you thought it was a good idea to drive it? The injectors cannot atomize at that pressure.

You obviously have an issue with your tune or injectors. Did you buy your injectors separately? Or did you get them with your tune? Not all 60# injectors are the same... some are fast some are slow. You can't just expect all injectors to work the same.

2nd ask what fuel pressure the injectors were tuned for and leave it there... I'm assuming they're 60# injectors @ 3 BAR, so put the FP to 3 BAR with 0 vacuum going to the FPR and leave it there.

Next unplug the MAF sensor and see if the AFR's will settle in properly with out the MAF connected.. if they don't you can almost bet your injectors are either not 60# or there is something up with your tune.

My Cars
    Jeep, Z3, NSX
    Yes, it's been running ~20 PSI and I've been driving it to work and around town fine, just not WOT. The injectors are Siemens 60# injectors, which came with the Technica Tune. I checked the part # on them and they are 60#. They are tuned for the stock FPR, which is like 42 PSI @ idle. I've pulled the vacuum from the stock FPR and it still runs way too rich. I've measured the readings from the MAF and it's fine. I think it has something to do with the tune, so they are still trying to figure out.

My Cars
    Jeep, Z3, NSX
    Update:
    So I sent the DME to the tuner, turns out, the tune never got uploaded to the DME. Not sure how that happened, since the software that was given to me kept saying it was successfully uploaded each time. The car runs fine now with the fuel pressure back up to 45 PSI at idle.

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Vids! The car is running well now though, thats good.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    good to hear its all sorted now to the hood vent :P

My Cars
    BMW Z3 2.8, Fiat 500e
    I read through this whole thing nervously biting my nails as to what would happen next. Was it the tune? The injectors? Did Brett at Technica give you the wrong info? WHAT COULD IT BE!? Was super happy to see it resolved at the end. Build and car look amazing! You have officially convinced me to start looking into this.

My Cars
    Alfa GT, Z3 2.8
    Any idea what ever happened to this car? Never any commenting on the final car performance it achieved.

My Cars
    '01 BMW Z3 3.0i Roadster
    JoshGT,

This video https://youtu.be/O4P65koLDg8 is the best that I can find. I would love some follow up too as I just started looking into boosting my Z3 3.0i. However, this is still a great guide to get me started. :-)
    Last edited by Skich; 07-21-2017 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 1.9

Manifold

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    No modifications to the manifold. Let's see how this thing holds up!

Apologies for my lack of updates. I finished welding the exhaust system:

I went with Technica Motorsports OBD II Tuning (http://technicamotorsports.com/). 60 lb fuel injectors + Blow Thru MAF

Hopefully, It'll be running by the weekend.
    I’d like to ask what obx manifold was used for the build?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123