Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY: How To Swap a Differential (plenty of pics)

My Cars
    01 325i wagon, '15 GTI
    Not to revive the dead/old, but how hard is it (and can someone post clear instructions) on how to change the driveshaft flanges? My 328is has a 4 bolt 2.93 Open diff, and the one i was is from a 95 M3, and is a 6 bolt 3.15 LSD. how hard will this be?

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Reviving an existing thread should be ENcouraged, not DIScouraged. People create too many new threads as it is....but I digress.

I've swapped an input flange. It's a matter of removing the nut, using a puller to remove the flange, inserting the new flange, and torqueing the nut down to the proper specs and with the proper thread locker. It may require a new nut to be safe. I would measure the preload on the pinion flange before removing it. When you install the new one, torque the nut until the same preload is reached.

I would verify this with the Bentley.....or a good manual if you have one.

Good luck,
    Tommy

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by skuyler View Post
    Not to revive the dead/old, but how hard is it (and can someone post clear instructions) on how to change the driveshaft flanges? My 328is has a 4 bolt 2.93 Open diff, and the one i was is from a 95 M3, and is a 6 bolt 3.15 LSD. how hard will this be?
    It isn't terribly hard. you need to take your 328 output shafts out of your 328 diff. Pretty straight forward.

Then you need to inspect the seals and bearings in the output shafts of the M3 diff. The best bet is to replace these. Then just press the 328 shafts in.

When it is on the car I would drain and refill the fluid as well.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by skuyler View Post
    You should also inspect the innards of that 3.15 diff--check the link in tommy's sig. The factory omitted threadlocker on a few of the bolts and they have a tendency to back out, bounce around and get stuck in the gears. You should verify that everything is as it should be.

My Cars
    96XJ, 042500HD, 13Focus
    thanks! Im needing this right now.
    94 318is
    95 M3
    93 325is Euro
    95 318ti clubsport
    97 M3
    88 535is
    98 328i vert
    99 M3

Off the bmw crack at the moment

My Cars
    '95 M3, '77 Suzuki GS750
    Great great writeup. If I get my 3:15 replacement this weekend, I'm ready to do this thanks to the quality of the pics and narrative. Thansk! *Crosses fingers*

My Cars
    '95 M3, '77 Suzuki GS750
    Speaking of, can anyone confirm that the E12 TORX is available for $3.99 from Autozone, and if so, perhaps show a link? I'd rather not waste the money on the extra Sears set if I don't have to. Thanks!

My Cars
    N/A
    I can confirm it was 4 or 5 bucks. Just call whichever store you're planning on going to.

My Cars
    '01 540i/6 M-Sport
    Not sure whether this has been mentioned already in this thread or not, but the exhaust and sway bar do not have to be removed from the car inorder to swap the diff.

I just swapped mine this past weekend, and I left the exhaust completely bolted in place (a few extensions are required to get at the drivers side halfshaft to diff bolts). I also only unbolted the swaybar from the frame, not the suspension. This allows you to push the swaybar up enough the get at the rear diff mount bolts, and lower the diff out of place.

'94 325i (manual swapped): Sold
    '01 540i M-Sport
    '92 735i

My Cars
    98-M3 96-328ic 06-R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    Reviving an existing thread should be ENcouraged, not DIScouraged. People create too many new threads as it is....but I digress.

I've swapped an input flange. It's a matter of removing the nut, using a puller to remove the flange, inserting the new flange, and torqueing the nut down to the proper specs and with the proper thread locker. It may require a new nut to be safe. I would measure the preload on the pinion flange before removing it. When you install the new one, torque the nut until the same preload is reached.

I would verify this with the Bentley.....or a good manual if you have one.

Good luck,
    Tommy
    so how do you measure preload?

My Cars
    Red E30 Black E36
    I was told that there was quite a bit of "timing" when it came to installing the new diff as far as spinning it a few times until input and output shafts were synchronized. This isn't the case?

Great write up by the way

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway View Post
    Not sure whether this has been mentioned already in this thread or not, but the exhaust and sway bar do not have to be removed from the car inorder to swap the diff.

I just swapped mine this past weekend, and I left the exhaust completely bolted in place (a few extensions are required to get at the drivers side halfshaft to diff bolts). I also only unbolted the swaybar from the frame, not the suspension. This allows you to push the swaybar up enough the get at the rear diff mount bolts, and lower the diff out of place.
    Yep, it was mentioned in the first or second page, if I recall.

Tommy

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon monoxide View Post
    so how do you measure preload?
    There are several ways. You could get a torque wrench that measures in in-lbs. and simply use a socket that fits the input flange nut. Increase the torque setting on the wrench until the flange rotates. That's youre preload.

Or you could use a fish scale in a hole on the input flange. Measure the amount of "weight" required to get the flange to turn. Then use some math to determine how that force (applied "x" distance from the centerline of the flange) correlates to the amount of torque in in-lbs.

Tommy

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitTheNameIsBJ View Post
    I was told that there was quite a bit of "timing" when it came to installing the new diff as far as spinning it a few times until input and output shafts were synchronized. This isn't the case?

Great write up by the way
    Nah, 'cause the input and output flanges will all change relative to one another as the differential does its job.

And thanks.

Tommy

My Cars
    e46 M3

great info!

This is a GREAT write up, thank you! It is a job I look forward to doing sometime this year!!

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)

My Cars
    1995 325I
    Thanks for the write-up and pictures. As mentioned, pics do a world of justice when us DIY'ers want the challenge/satisfaction of doing something ourselves....now if I can only find an LSD that'll balance my auto trans(ugh) with better low-end take-off power....anyway, the search continues. Peace. PG
    H&R springs/GR2 shocks/Custom TMS JC chip/S50 cams/21.5lb injectors/Shorty headers/Stromung cat-back/5 speed swap/Dr Vanos Stg II/Sachs clutch kit/3.15 LSD/KN af/BW silicone t-body boot/TMS sways/TMS UDP/TMS drilled rotors/SS lines/PBR pads/Depo Gen-IV 55w 6k dde hid h/l's/Apexcone Crystal 35w 6k hid fogs/hi-beam with fogs mod/FDM/LBF delete/UUC goodies.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318i
    great job, i'm considering swapping but it looks like a lot of work

My Cars
    '95 M3, '77 Suzuki GS750
    If you have doubts about the DIY nature of this for a relatively new DIY mechanic - let me say from experience - DO IT!!! It took my dad and I approximately 2.5 hours with air tools and no prior experience with BMWs. There were a couple of times when we got stumped, and of course the natural profanity when one of the half-shafts smacked him in the face (I always manage to escape injury), but other than that it's well worth it and fairly straightforward.

'95 ///M3 - Alpineweiss on Black Vaders
    w/Bilstein Sports/Umnitza TSE/UUC Black Trans Mounts/Rogue RSMs/228,xxx miles and counting!

My Cars
    1999 ///M3

I have a probelm with my diff

is it normal to go 65 mph at 3500rpm I did a manual swap on my 93 325is dont know if I also had to swap the differencial

My Cars
    '01 Jeep ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast325 View Post
    is it normal to go 65 mph at 3500rpm I did a manual swap on my 93 325is dont know if I also had to swap the differencial
    Nope. If you had an automatic, you had a 3.91 gearset so you would likely be better off with a 3.15 from a 5 speed car.....or a diff from an M3, but those carry a premium for only a marginal improvement in gearing. At least all M3 diffs have a limited slip whereas not all 5 speed diffs do.

Tommy

My Cars
    1999 ///M3
    thanx did I have to change my wiring to get my check engine light of and the ecu or is there a way to get around that

My Cars
    1999 ///M3
    also do i have to change my wiring and my ecu to get my check engine light off and my back up lights to work because I don't have anything plugs connected to the trans

My Cars
    328 330 330 Focus F150
    What the heck, bring back a really old thread . . .

I'm about to go through this and I am concerned about how much torque to put on the input flange nut. I found this info, see post #32:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&pp=20&page=2

According to this post, the necessary torque is all about "spinning torque". Interesting.

Tom stated that the nut on his diff was not torqued . . . I suspect it was originally. Once the "crush sleeve" has done its job, the nut will likely back off very easily.

My Cars
    bmw

diff swap....hm

hi people!!!
    did anyone put m3 dif on 320i cabrio 1998?
    datails,pics,info plz

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast