Thread: Valvetronic question....

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i

Exclamation Valvetronic question....

I am doing a valve cover job on my Girl friends 06 530i and i was taking all this stuff apart and when i removed the bolt that holds the valvetronic motor in place it popped backwards toward me and i automatically thought, Ohhh shet what did I just do....

So i guess my question is How do I put this valvetronic motor back in when I am done with this valve cover gasket.

I do not know if the motor its self has an adjustment or I dunno what im talking about. I do not need to know what this VT motor does, i need to know how I put this thing back in. Thanks - all help is appreciated...

My Cars
    530i & F30 320i
    I believe you have the N52 engine. If you do I think this may help.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/10/17/93

I also believe once you get the motor fitted, the engine will do an initialization when you first turn on the engine to get the motor adjusted. But maybe someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.
    Last edited by Alex0607; 01-25-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    BMW E60 530i & F30 320i

"Its sometimes better to shut up and be thought of as a fool than to speak and have all doubts removed"

My Cars
    insert valvetronic motor
    tighten screws
    open beer and celebrate your marvelous mechanical abilities.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    Do I insert the VT motor into the hole it mounts on in an angle to avoid the gear while putting it in or do I want to go straight in and push on the gear then lock it down?

What would the valve cover bolts be torqued at and is there a pattern?

Were do I pressure test the cooling system. We had bought this car 2 weeks ago and I checked the coolant resivoir one day and it seems to have aoil in the water. I checked the transmission, clean. I checked the engine oil, clean. I think the previous owner may have added oil to the coolant system by accident.

Whats the procedure for adding oil, I mean its wierd cause there is no dip stick and its done through the iDrive, i saw that? Add oil and keep an eye on the level in the iDrive?

My Cars
    E36M3, E60545i, F10550i
    If it is the same as my 545i, the valvetronic motor has a helical gear which you will be able to thread into the gear by turning the motor like a screw. Thread it in as far as you can and fasten the motor in with the little aluminum bolts. When you turn on the engine it should initialize, but just to be sure, turn on the ignition without starting for 30 seconds, turn off, then start the engine. I don't know if this procedure is needed, but when I did it with mine I had no problems.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    Wat about my valve cover bolt torques?

My Cars
    E36M3, E60545i, F10550i
    Using new M7 aluminum bolts, starting with inner bolts tighten in a criss-cross fashion to 63 in-lb. Then go back and turn an additional 90 deg.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    replace those bolts, if you dont they will/can break.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i
    ohh yea of course, thats automatic

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Max View Post
    If it is the same as my 545i, the valvetronic motor has a helical gear which you will be able to thread into the gear by turning the motor like a screw. Thread it in as far as you can and fasten the motor in with the little aluminum bolts. When you turn on the engine it should initialize, but just to be sure, turn on the ignition without starting for 30 seconds, turn off, then start the engine. I don't know if this procedure is needed, but when I did it with mine I had no problems.

I want to do this myself on my 2008 528i as the valvetronic gasket cost $20 online. Already replaced sparks plugs and ignition coils and a couple of months ago took it to a local indy shop and they just replaced the valve cover gasket. Now it is leaking from the valvetronic....
    Have the manual with instructions to do it, my only concern is do I need to reset the computer for this? I don't have one so not sure if by doing the Ignition steps will cover everything or the engine light off will go off after some driving cycles.

Also does anyone knows the part # for those M7 aluminum bolts? It will be ideal to change them all.

- - - Updated - - -

Also does anyone knows the part # for those M7 aluminum bolts? It will be ideal to change them all.[/QUOTE]

Here to answer my own question:

2007 and later N51/N52 engines do not need replacement valve cover bolts, unless the bolts are actually broken off or missing. Unlike the 2006 aluminum hardware, the later parts are steel and not 1-time use.

Found it here:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...4-30i30si.aspx
    Last edited by dalabera; 09-19-2014 at 12:42 PM.

My Cars
    E36M3, E60545i, F10550i
    Quote Originally Posted by dalabera View Post
    I want to do this myself on my 2008 528i as the valvetronic gasket cost $20 online. Already replaced sparks plugs and ignition coils and a couple of months ago took it to a local indy shop and they just replaced the valve cover gasket. Now it is leaking from the valvetronic....
    Have the manual with instructions to do it, my only concern is do I need to reset the computer for this? I don't have one so not sure if by doing the Ignition steps will cover everything or the engine light off will go off after some driving cycles.
    I have removed the valvetronic stepper motors a couple of times now and have not had any problems whatsoever after reinstalling without hooking up to INPA or DIS (which I have). Repair shops will tell you they need to be reinitialized via computer, but they're just trying to sell an hour's worth of labor for 10 minutes of nonessential work.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330ci

valvetronic Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Max View Post
    I have removed the valvetronic stepper motors a couple of times now and have not had any problems whatsoever after reinstalling without hooking up to INPA or DIS (which I have). Repair shops will tell you they need to be reinitialized via computer, but they're just trying to sell an hour's worth of labor for 10 minutes of nonessential work.
    Hey brotha, you seem pretty well versed in this area......I just recently changed my valve cover on 2006 bme 325i e90...........when I took out vavletronic motor I turned allen hole.......and when i re-installed turned again......I tried to start it up and it wouldnt rev over 1500 ......so I turned off engine turned allen hole 5 times......let car re-program......and than it would rev to around 2500..........Than.....turned off and turned it like 20 times........and it would rev full revs! drove it that night seemed to work fine but this morning went to crank it and found real bad idle and displayed codes..........turned it off. re programed and codes went away.......... and ran a little better but now I have loss of power..................Im really not down with going to pay somebody a lot of money for nothing that is not needed but at this point I feel that it might be mandatory....................what are your feelings on issue????????/ thanks in advance

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpsurf View Post
    Hey brotha, you seem pretty well versed in this area......I just recently changed my valve cover on 2006 bme 325i e90...........when I took out vavletronic motor I turned allen hole.......and when i re-installed turned again......I tried to start it up and it wouldnt rev over 1500 ......so I turned off engine turned allen hole 5 times......let car re-program......and than it would rev to around 2500..........Than.....turned off and turned it like 20 times........and it would rev full revs! drove it that night seemed to work fine but this morning went to crank it and found real bad idle and displayed codes..........turned it off. re programed and codes went away.......... and ran a little better but now I have loss of power..................Im really not down with going to pay somebody a lot of money for nothing that is not needed but at this point I feel that it might be mandatory....................what are your feelings on issue????????/ thanks in advance
    You need to have someone connect a computer and initialize them, it finds the upper and lower stops and registers is with the valvetronic controller. You are supposed to do it any time you remove them. I did on my 550 when i rebuilt the top end. Some say you don't need it, i say to follow the instructions from BMW as they are there for a reason.

My Cars
    850i, Alpina B7, E61
    I know thi is an old thread, but when the valvetronic value is adjusted to .8mm in INPA and there is a rough idle when warm and during times when off the gas pedal and during acceleration ( on cold start ups there is no idle issue ), what part needs to be changed out?

Are the valvetronic actuators a wearable item?
    Could it be that the solenoids need to be cleaned or replaced?

N62 engine

My Cars
    2009 bmw 328 xi
    how do i create a thread? and are you replacing the bolts holding the valvetronic motor in place? they're aluminum i believe in all n52 models?
    Last edited by NailikPatrol; 11-04-2021 at 08:51 PM.