Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My BMW M3 CSL Picture Spectacular

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL

Chapter 3: The SMG Gearbox

The Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG II) system has 5 automatic (“D”) and 5 manual (“S”) programs of varying shift speed, plus one “hidden” program – the fastest of them all - that is only available in manual mode with the DSC system deactivated. I call it the “are-you-crazy” program. BMW calls it S6.

Entering the S6 program, the CSL is showing its full potential. During maximum acceleration, shifts are very fast. There is, however, a noticeable shift process (which BMW claims to take 80 milliseconds). During moderate acceleration, even in S6, SMG seems to shift more slowly, probably assuming that the driver is not in such a hurry. There is a hydraulic clutch that works exactly the same way as in a manual transmission car, only this time there is no clutch pedal as the SMG system is controlling it.

In modern double-clutch transmission cars, shifts are so smooth that the driver hardly notices them at all. With SMG, you will notice when the system is changing gears, and so will everybody else: your passengers, pedestrians and even other cars around you. Especially downshifts are seen and heard from far away. Actually, downshifting is so much fun that in normal street use, I hardly use the brakes at all. When downshifting, the SMG system will calculate the optimum rpm and blip the throttle to match the revs. The driver does not need to adjust the throttle at all. SMG is never tired and never makes a mistake; each downshift is perfect and sounds absolutely divine. Quickly downshifting a couple of gears creates such a roar that it is impossible to keep a straight face. This car makes you smile!

To expect that SMG is both an automatic and a manual transmission in one car, is asking too much. SMG is a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. The driver has to know the rpm and current gear and decide what to do next. When the driver assumes this responsibility and drives in the manual “S” modes, SMG will serve very well. Sometimes it even offers a helping hand: if driver makes a mistake and rpm drops too low, SMG will automatically downshift so that the engine does not stall. However, if the driver is pushing against the redline, SMG does not automatically upshift. It respects the decision of the driver to hold on to the gear. It will only upshift when told to.

Shifts are made by pulling on paddles that rotate with the steering wheel (left paddle is downshift and right paddle is upshift) or by moving the SMG lever in the center console (forward is downshift, backward is upshift). The lever is especially useful when the steering wheel is turned over 180 degrees, as then it is sometimes difficult to figure out the new locations of the paddles, and therefore safer to use the lever. Reverse gear is located left and forward. Moving the lever to the right will toggle between automatic (see the first picture in this post) and manual mode.

The SMG system also features launch control and shift lights. Launch control applies full engine power, and to eliminate wheelspin, it controls the clutch. While this is probably the fastest way to accelerate, knowing how taxing it is on the clutch takes away the fun. Shift lights, on the other hand, are a fun feature, but I dare to say any driver would be able to time the upshifts even without the assistance of the lights.

The big question is, would I have selected a manual box, if that was available? Maybe. But then again, maybe not. SMG is so similar to a manual box, that the feeling you get from using it is almost exactly the same. Well, I know I could give a smoother ride if I was controlling the clutch, so if I was constantly driving with passengers I'd prefer the manual. But when driving alone, the hardcore roughness of the SMG is a plus.

Perhaps it is a good thing that BMW only manufactured the car with SMG. This removes the time-consuming speculation between the alternatives and lets CSL drivers enjoy what they've got.

This is the S4 setting that I normally choose for everyday street use. Notice how there seems to be one more “empty orange box” to fill, i.e. the faster program S5.

The SMG shift speed selector. Strangely, the symbols on the button hint to the existence of a mysterious sixth shift program…

Now the SMG is set at S5 and it looks as if there are no faster programs available. Still, the SMG button was telling another story…

Oh yes, the DSC. Pressing the DSC button will disable the Dynamic Stability Control and allow selecting the super-fast S6 shift program. (You can see that I have also activated Sport mode, just because the illuminated LED looked better in the picture. It has no impact on shift speed.)

DSC is deactivated. You’d better know what you’re doing now.

DSC deactivated, finally the S6 reveals itself. There it is, available to be selected!

Are you crazy? You’ve just selected the S6 program! And no DSC is there to save you! Hold on, here we go!

The SMG lever is like a piece of modern art. It feels wonderful to give it a forward push and experience the high-precision downshift. The alcantara inserts not only look cool, but also communicate that the lever can be moved in four directions. The moment you touch it, your hand will know this – a fine example of BMW’s ergonomics understanding.

Thank you for reading. And yes: more will follow.

Anssi
    Last edited by m5time; 01-26-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Changed formatting after an unwanted Automerge

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    More more more!!!

My Cars
    German Rice
    Moar pictures of Melissa.

My Cars
    e36 m3/e90
    i am so exceited, this thread is the mothership

My Cars
    2003 Chevy Avalanche
    Wow! Beautiful pictures. Nice job.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Very nice!

What's the D right of the "->", specially in S6 mode. I expected the S to be there, like on the first pic.

PS: about the 80 milisecond shift speeds. This has been well documented. This shiftspeed only applies to S6, at max engine RPM or something like that. Other shifts are not as fast (but who cares).

There's a mint example CSL for sale now on "Dutch Ebay". But that just shy of €60.000 it's too rich for my blood (but a steal at the same time).

Need to win lottery...
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinwei฿ III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    96 M3

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Crime Wave View Post
    Moar pictures of Melissa.
    Melissa + CSL =

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    What's the D right of the "->", specially in S6 mode. I expected the S to be there, like on the first pic.
    This is an excellent question!

It took me a couple of days to get used to this logic. On the right, what you see is the SMG stick. And you see what would happen IF you moved it in some direction. So when you ARE in D mode, it shows that you WOULD enter S.

The big letter D in the first picture indicates the current mode you are in. And if you are in S mode, it absolutely should have a big S there. But it simply does not. Perhaps leaving out the "S" saved some weight

Anssi

My Cars
    4 e21 BAURs; 2011 B7,
    Very hot body. The girl looks good too.

My Cars
    97 M3, 13 F150 FX4

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Your wish is my command: there will be more pictures of Melissa

Anssi

My Cars
    E34 525i M50B25
    my god

My Cars
    E36 323i
    man this is good. Love it.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by m5time View Post
    This is an excellent question!

It took me a couple of days to get used to this logic. On the right, what you see is the SMG stick. And you see what would happen IF you moved it in some direction. So when you ARE in D mode, it shows that you WOULD enter S.

The big letter D in the first picture indicates the current mode you are in. And if you are in S mode, it absolutely should have a big S there. But it simply does not. Perhaps leaving out the "S" saved some weight

Anssi
    Okay I see.

Well the D would be logic, as you would put the stick to the right to go into D mode (auto drive).

But I would never expect an S there. Or does the stick automatically flicks back to the +/- (center) position? (or is Neutral the center position?)

Yes, I expected the big S to show in S mode.

IG:

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Okay I see.

Well the D would be logic, as you would put the stick to the right to go into D mode (auto drive).

But I would never expect an S there. Or does the stick automatically flicks back to the +/- (center) position? (or is Neutral the center position?)

Yes, I expected the big S to show in S mode.
    Yes the stick returns to the +/- position. So the S and D on the right side are logical once you get used to it.

However the missing "big S" is something I still don't quite get. This is not the German way of doing things!

Anssi

My Cars
    Audi TT
    Amazing shots in here!

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL

Chapter 4: The Looks

The CSL just immediately looks right. I am sure it is extremely difficult to design a car like that. The standard M3 is already a definition of the premium sports coupe shape, and somehow the CSL still manages to overtake. In the picture above, Natalie is experimenting just how much beauty one photo can have. (She is into figure-skating, as you may notice.)

The roof is pure magic. Back in 2003, visible carbon fiber weave was something that many people had never even seen before. And suddenly, this exotic Formula One material was used in a street car. Even today, the roof represents the state of the art. I have never understood the purpose of sun roofs, and finally there is a car that couldn’t even be ordered with one. Front splitters and rear diffuser are also visible carbon fiber.

When you search the internet for CSL pictures, you will find lots of photos of the early CSL Concept car. It had even more carbon fiber parts. I wish the production car could have had those carbon fiber side mirrors and the engine valve cover, for example. Concept car also had a bootlid with the release button. It is so cruel that they left that out.

At 19”, the wheels probably make the car slower than it could be on 18”s, but the way they look more than compensates for the loss. The bold choice of having the air intake opening on only one side makes the front of the car disturbing, in a way that calls for attention and admiration. Functionality and performance rule the game. Even the bootlid spoiler looks logical.

The front fender cannot be described in words. Not even photographs do it justice. And if you see it with your own eyes, that is still not enough. The exaggerated and muscular 3-dimensional shape is simply beyond anything I’ve ever seen bent of metal. You need to wax the car by hand. Yes, you need to wax the car by hand. Only then will you learn all the curves and turns of the fender. Yes, it is the same fender as in a standard E46 M3. Why mess with perfection? The only difference is the side vent that has the CSL-lettering.

Inside, the alcantara steering wheel with its only one button – the M-track Mode button - is as asymmetrical as the front apron. Carbon fiber is everywhere. The car looks incredibly inviting. Unlike other BMWs, there is no smell of leather, as leather is found in only three places and in very small quantities.

If I would have to choose a detail that does not immediately impress, it would be the side mirror controls that are now in the center console. But this little imperfection is again compensated by a rewardingly button-free door panel, beautiful in its carbon fiber surface.

The wheels are awesome. It is really difficult to improve on these, so only die-hard tuning enthusiasts go for 3rd party set-ups. BMW press release says that the four wheels and tires are together 11kg lighter than the 19” option of the standard M3.

Silbergrau was the more popular choice of color, and it probably has a lot to do with the fact that it highlights the carbon fiber roof better than the Black Sapphire alternative.

Plain weave carbon fiber of the CSL roof. I am not an expert on carbon fiber, but still the weave looks very loose to me, and I get a feeling this is not the strongest carbon fiber structure ever made.

The weave of the airbox, however, looks much more dense. If you know about carbon fiber, please do add your comments to this thread and tell what you see here. I am surprised that the weave here is twill, because everywhere else the carbon fiber parts have plain weave. I guess the airbox came from another subcontractor. Anyway it looks like an item of extremely high quality and it is also insanely expensive to replace, so be careful not to scratch the surface.

The fuel lid is an M3-specific part.

My CSL is on a Shell V-Power diet. I am sure the BMW factory has some guy with really strong fingers, bending the lower front corners of the fuel lids to match the shape of the car!

Mirror controls sit in the middle of the center console. This looks like a hasty design decision. And it is definitely something that creates a head-ache for all those building CSL replicas: should replicas faithfully repeat also the mistakes of the original?

BMW has glued soft stickers on the seatbelt locks, to protect the beautiful surface of the center console.

Center console has a storage space and it also requires protection. BMW has a soft mat that does the job. Google the price of it, if you dare.

For some reason, the side mirrors still have factory stickers on them. In my opinion, BMW should have removed these. But maybe they, too, noticed how difficult it is! The mirrors do not have a folding function – at least mine don’t. This makes covering the car (for winter storage) a bit difficult. In the wintertime, my CSL is in a warm garage and wears a soft pyjama.

This is the third place that has a bit of leather. The other two places are the gear lever bag and the hand brake bag. The Owner’s Manual is the E46 M3 manual, but in addition there is a separate CSL booklet that explains the points where the two cars differ.

The LED rear lights look great. And so does Melissa.

Thanks for coming back to read this thread. There are still more photos to show, so please hang on.

Anssi

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    Yessss

My Cars
    99 M3, 89 325i, 85 535i
    great details

My Cars
    Oh dear lord

My Cars
    18 M2, 20 WRX
    I like boobs and such....& this thread delivers.

Thank you kindly sir. More please.
    BMW M2, Subaru WRX ( WRX > M2)
    Waiting on the 2021 STI...

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Great pics, as always. Lost for words.

The insert is less expensive than I expected. I thought it would be ridicuously expensive. Maybe I am just used to BMW prices by now.

Love the close-up carbon fiber pics.

IG:

My Cars
    German Rice
    Melissa

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    Good god this thread is awesome. I'm sorry if I missed it - where did you find the car for sale? Private party?
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast