Thread: My BMW M3 CSL Picture Spectacular

My Cars
    /
    Euro FTMFW

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL

Chapter 2: The Experience

So what is it like to drive one?

Pulling on the door handle, the driver’s window lowers itself a bit to allow opening the door. Door sill has CSL-lettering reminding me that this is not going to be just a drive, but an experience. The door itself is a long coupe door, making the entry a bit difficult, especially as I need to angle myself correctly to land in the deep bucket seat. The seatbelt is very far to the back and difficult to reach. It is, however, a normal 3-point belt so once I’ve managed to get hold of it, the rest of the process is easy. Closing the door, the window rises back and seals itself against the roof, locking me inside.

The seat is mounted on rails so the distance to pedals can quickly be adjusted. But since I am already sitting in the car, no other seat adjustments are possible anymore. There are three alternative heights for the front of the seat and three more for the back of the seat, but to change those settings, the entire seat has to be removed from the car and then re-installed. I am lucky to have dimensions that comply with BMW standards so the seat feels perfect. There is some truth to the phrase that a car selects its driver.

The next thing to remember is that the SMG gearbox has to be in neutral. There is no clutch pedal and the car simply won’t start unless the box is in neutral. It is a bit surprising that BMW selected SMG as the only choice of gearbox for the CSL; SMG weighs clearly more than the manual box. Starting is done by turning the key, in good old-fashion way.

Engine sounds much louder than in any other standard BMW. The idle is not stable, but I learned a trick at an internet discussion board: if the wobbly idle is bothering you, all you have to do is turn off the air-conditioning and the problem goes away. Seems to me, BMW software supports the non-air version better.

Setting out in first gear, the computer-controlled clutch is not very smooth. A limousine driver might not keep his job for long if he constantly made such uncomfortable starts. But comfort is not the key here, and fast starts work much better.

Now that the car is moving, everything about it immediately becomes clear. There are no more secrets; the car tells you everything. This car is all about communication. The driver just better be ready to handle it all. I wasn’t. The amount of information is simply overwhelming. I also have an E39 M5 and it is a car that will take me somewhere and make me wonder, “How can I be here already?” The CSL is nothing like that. I would never choose to drive to a business meeting in a CSL. By the time I’d arrive, I would have used up all my energy and attention for the day. This car is not for the salesman or a consultant, with a laptop full of Powerpoints and potential customers to impress. I don’t think customers would appreciate a salesman whose hands would still be shaking after the driving experience he’s just had. I know: when I first drove a CSL, my hands were shaking for two days.

The CSL overloads all the senses. The steering wheel tells you exactly where the wheels are and what kind of surface they are rolling on. The suspension transmits data to the bucket seat which in turn violently lets you feel every bump and stripe of paint on the road. The engine is very loud - by BMW standards - and without even looking at the gauges, you know precisely the rpm you currently have. The exhaust is actually very quiet – most of the wonderful noise comes from the front. The induction sound is very recognizable. It is a good thing there aren’t that many CSLs around; I would have a heart-attack if I ever heard that sound, thinking somebody’s stolen my car.

It is amazing how different the car feels compared to the standard M3. On the production line, the CSL must have looked pretty much the same as all the other M3s, sharing most of the same parts. The BMW engineers really have focused the small changes to where they make a big difference. Driving an M3 CSL is nothing like driving an M3. Even the engine sounds and feels totally different. In an M3 and a Z3 M, the S54 is smooth and sophisticated. In a CSL, it is loud and rude.

One of the reasons why the standard E46 M3 is such an icon is the state-of-the-art way it processes its feedback. It filters the available information and only presents the essential parts to the driver. It does not overload or bother the senses with insignificant details, but offers an elegant and fast way through any demanding driving situation. In most cases, the driver won’t even realize there was a problem in the first place. It truly is a masterpiece of car engineering.

But when information is filtered, it is inevitable that every now and then some small piece of useful information may also disappear. And on a race track, those small things slowly accumulate, first to seconds and then to minutes - an opportunity lost. Therefore, the CSL is designed not to filter – filtering becomes the responsibility of the driver; to process the information and to decide which inputs call for actions and which inputs can be ignored. In a way, the CSL is not as smart as the standard M3. It is just a tool that keeps on bombarding the driver with data. I can imagine that a racing driver would embrace this feeling of control and shamelessly leverage it to make the car go faster and faster. Well, I am far from being a racing driver, but still I feel that the ample guidance that the car provides is helping me to constantly develop my driving skills. There is no better teacher than the CSL to show me how.

The fact that the car clearly outperforms me makes the CSL a bit intimidating. But I think this is exactly what makes it so irresistible. In the summer, I drive the car every day and it manages to scare me each time, but always a little less than the day before. Other BMWs simply don’t give me the same heart rate. For pure kicks, this is definitely the BMW to drive.

In street use, I have noticed something that may sound very surprising: CSL is not the car most likely to make you lose your license. This is because it offers driving thrill already at two-digit speeds. For example, the E92 335i has almost the same performance, but you hardly even notice the car is moving unless you are driving at insanely illegal speeds.

The CSL, however, does invite to try high speed cornering, and this is where the driver has to have some self-control. It is very difficult to resist the temptation to test the superior cornering performance in every turn. Google “King of Sweden CSL” and you’ll notice he crashed his CSL into a slow Volvo in a roundabout. With great power comes great responsibility.

To sum up, BMW’s slogan of “Sheer Driving Pleasure” does not describe a CSL well. Driving it is thrilling, but at the same time so uncomfortable that the word “pleasure” is not the best choice. In the case of a CSL, I’d say the slogan should be “Sheer Driving”. Dropping one word might also save some weight and thus improve performance!

CSL can be a bit scary, especially at night.

The CSL-version of the S54 engine has a beautiful carbon fiber air intake. At higher rpm’s, a large flap opens, letting out the wonderful and distinct CSL induction sound. Want numbers? 3246cm3, 360hp (7900rpm), 370Nm (4900rpm), 4.9seconds, 287g/km.

The steering wheel has only one button, the M-track Mode button.

This is the symbol that indicates that the M-track Mode is activated. The DSC system will now allow more fun before it intervenes, but it will still be there for rescue if things get out of hand.

CSL at a “virtual racetrack” I created using LED lights.

CSL is speeding through a sharp right turn, illuminated by LED lights. Even in action, the car still has time to look beautiful. (Again I remind you that everything you see is real, there is no digital manipulation in any of my pictures.)

Thank you for coming back to this thread and for reading this long post. If you liked it, I have good news: there is much more still to come.

Click here to jump straight to Chapter 3

Anssi
    Last edited by m5time; 01-26-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added a link to jump straight to Chapter 3

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Very nice. I don't think the coat hooks weigh it down too much, though...

My Cars
    /
    More ...

Pics =

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Wait, did you make that LED virtual road yourself? Or was it done in post processing?

You really found a mint one. I mean, mint.

Are you sure DSC isn't turned off completely in M mode?
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    Winning.

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Wait, did you make that LED virtual road yourself? Or was it done in post processing?

Are you sure DSC isn't turned off completely in M mode?
    I built rigs with sophisticated LED lights, and created the "virtual racetrack" look on-location. It took weeks of planning and a team of assistants. There are absolutely no post-processing tricks.

The M-track mode is a feature of the DSC system. So DSC has to be on. But while in M-track mode, DSC allows more fun.

Anssi

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Ha that is your profession. Well it looks amazing, perfect for shots like this. How big exactly is that track then, as you are able to do rolling shots on it.

Okay I thought M mode = DSC off.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    2002 330ci
    that track is awesome!

My Cars
    '13 VW GLI, sold E36 328
    wow. just wow. your write up is freaking awesome. anxious to come back for the 3rd time dude.
    BMWMOFO OG. Wetdub OKC Enthusiast. E36(sold), 08 Mazda3(totaled), '12 VW Jetta TDI(buyback)
    , current: '13 VW GLI

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

- Jeremy Clarkson -

My Cars
    1999 528iT
    You are doing this very well.

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    How big exactly is that track then, as you are able to do rolling shots on it.
    To keep material costs at a reasonable level, the track is light-painted. In the first picture, the track is moving around the car, and in the second picture the car is moving around the track.

I invented the look in 2010 when I was shooting an Aston Martin N24 (click here to see picture). The Aston rolling shot was so complex that a team of seven people was needed.

Much more about the photography coming up in Chapter Five of this thread!

Anssi

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Congratulations on the CSL. It is my favorite ever BMW, the sound from the engine is out of this world.

I wish I had bought a CSL back in 2007 when I was looking for a toy.

You will not regret this purchase.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

3.0L S50B32 EURO Single Vanos with ITB's and Twin Garret GT2252 Turbo
    VEMS Standalone (www.vems.hu) most features enabled.
    Brakes, suspention, rollcage, seats, harness, wheels and tires.

My Cars
    BMW
    I like your pictures.
    Very good selection.
    Thanks dude.....
    cheap auto repair hollister
    Last edited by Cason666; 01-28-2012 at 02:33 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    this is probably the best thread I've read on rides and styling

I enjoy the way you describe the dynamics, sound, and feel of the car. Especially since I will likely never experience one. I get a small idea of what it may be to experience this car.

Thanks again and great pictures!
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    540i6 / M20 / Burb 2500
    Thread, post, and OP of the year.

FANTASTIC !

Man I love the look and sound of a proper intake box. It's funny when referring to it, because it usually comes off as "yeah, csl-intake boxes are awesome" then I realize "wait- this is a CSL, no shit sherlock".

Awesome car. I am extraordinarily jealous.
    2001 540i 6-Speed / 1989 325i M20 / 1994 Suburban 2500

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
    LoveClub Member #23

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    I enjoy the way you describe the dynamics, sound, and feel of the car. Especially since I will likely never experience one. I get a small idea of what it may be to experience this car.
    Thanks. I am very happy to hear that. It is a rare opportunity to get to drive one; the owners seldom twist your arm and demand you to take their CSL for a spin. Therefore, instead of the numbers that anyone can find in wikipedia, I made an attempt to tell about the feelings this car creates.

As you can tell, I love details, so the text and pictures are full of them. Journalists of car magazines may drive the cars for an hour or two, sometimes a couple of days. But one has to own a car and drive it every day, to really get to know it.

I was a bit worried that some readers might think I am crazy, but now I see that I am writing this to people just as passionate about cars as I am.

Everyone: thank you for your comments and encouragement. I will post Chapter 3 later this evening (Finland timezone).

Anssi

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    car is absolutely amazing, thanks for sharing, I like your documentation of it!
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Anssi,

I'm awaiting the coming chapters. Keep them coming! I also really enjoy the detailed photographs of the little things that make the CSL special.

As you know, the CSL did not make it to the U.S. shores. However, there are two CSL's that were imported to U.S. territory of Puerto Rico, one of which I believe was for sale in Miami not long ago. However, due to the very controversial state of it's title state and legal importation standing, I believe this detracted many buyers from being interested.

I'd love to see one in person some day though. Until then, I'll keep reading
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by WeiBCoupeE36 View Post
    wow. just wow. your write up is freaking awesome. anxious to come back for the 3rd time dude.
    Yeah I'm pretty speechless about this thread. I don't even have the words, such sick content here
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL
    Quote Originally Posted by GT110 View Post
    Congratulations on the CSL. It is my favorite ever BMW, the sound from the engine is out of this world.

I wish I had bought a CSL back in 2007 when I was looking for a toy.

You will not regret this purchase.
    Thank you.

Your car is magnificent. And I can see in your thread that you know your car inside out.

Anssi

My Cars
    02 330i, past: E30, E36
    Real photography ITT. This really pumps my nads.

My Cars
    95 M3
    This is the next best thing to seeing one in person for us in the States thanks!!

My Cars
    2008 E82 120d Coupé
    Do you have hi-resolution pictures for me? I can arrange online storage for you.

My Cars
    E39 M5 / E90
    Quote Originally Posted by E39520 View Post
    Do you have hi-resolution pictures for me? I can arrange online storage for you.
    This.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast