Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: My BMW M3 CSL Picture Spectacular

My Cars
    2003 M3 CSL

My BMW M3 CSL - A Picture Spectacular

Introduction

BMW E46 M3 CSL. And I finally have one. Buying it was probably one of the most irrational things I have ever done. At the same time, it was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Ever since I have had it, my heart rate has not been the same. I sleep less. I live more. Good thing I am writing this at a car-enthusiast forum, otherwise you’d think I’m just crazy.

This car has inspired me to drive it, take care of it, study it, photograph it and write about it. My CSL story has been published in BMW CCA Roundel Magazine (Dec 2011) and in BMW Club Finnland Bemaristi Magazine (3/2011). This post will include even more information and photos.

When reading, please remember that I am not a car professional, far from one. I am just an average person now driving a much-more-than-average car. The text is about my opinions and findings, and you are welcome to participate in the discussion and offer your point of view.

Chapter 1: The Specs

In 2003, from June to December, BMW made 1385 CSL versions of the E46 M3. CSL stands for “Coupe, Sport, Leichtbau”, hinting that BMW had designed a car even faster than the standard E46 M3.

Obviously, it is not easy to improve on an E46 M3, as it already has all the major BMW M features. Therefore, the CSL has small improvements, but lots of them:

1) CSL is lighter
    2) CSL has more power
    3) CSL has suspension and steering upgrades that improve handling
    4) CSL has improved aerodynamics
    5) CSL has better grip

All those small improvements together amount to quite a significant performance increase. At the Nürburgring, the E46 M3 has clocked a very impressive lap time of 8:22. The CSL has a time of 7:50. That is a night-and-day difference.

As part of the extensive weight saving program, some equipment was simply left out. There is no navigation, sunroof, fog lights or leather seats. In fact, the car could even be ordered without air-conditioning and a radio, both being quite heavy items to drag around a race-track. And where it really counts, some parts were replaced by much more expensive lightweight items, such as the wheels, front apron, roof, bootlid, rear window and front seats.

To further improve the performance, engine power was increased to 360hp, which is 17hp more than in the standard E46 M3. Suspension, steering and brakes were upgraded. Front splitters and a redesigned bootlid were included to reduce aerodynamic lift. And to perfect the masterpiece, semi-slick Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires were the choice.

BMW still wanted, however, to maintain the everyday usability of the car, so it continued to have some equipment that many sports cars don’t, such as rear seats (that even fold for extra storage capacity), power windows and mirrors, and reading lights for 4 people!

Choosing the exterior color was made easy. Customers could decide between only two colors: Black Sapphire Metallic and Silbergrau Metallic. All CSLs have a grey interior (Stoff Amaretta Reflex Pur Anthrazit) with black roof lining and the same lightweight seats.

There were few choices of optional equipment. Air-conditioning, radio/CD, park distance control, xenon-lights and car alarm were the most important ones. Although they do add weight, most cars still have them.

Instead of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, a more conservative wheel and tire set-up was also available for those customers uncomfortable with the idea of semi-slicks.

The CSL bootlid does not have a button that would open it. I guess this saves some grams of weight. Still I have wished a thousand times the button was there. If you don’t have the remote control key with you, there is no way to conveniently open the boot. You’ll have to walk all the way to the cockpit to push a button there. How often do you need to open the boot while sitting in the car? The button would be much more useful at the bootlid itself. The bootlid does have the (heavy!) lock to manually open it with a key, but again you have to have the key in your hand. Have you seen Top Gear’s review of the car? Jeremy Clarkson holds the remote behind his back and secretly presses the button as he opens the boot, making it look very easy. He is quite a magician!

The car in the pictures was manufactured in December of 2003, which was the last month of production. The exterior color is Silbergrau Metallic (A08) and the car has the following extras:

Code Description
    S231A DELETION VMAX DOWN-CONTROL
    S302A ALARM SYSTEM
    S358A CLIMATE COMFORT WINDSCREEN
    S423A FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
    S428A WARNING TRIANGLE
    S502A HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
    S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC)
    S521A RAIN SENSOR
    S522A XENON LIGHT
    S534A AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
    S650A CD PLAYER
    S661A RADIO BMW BUSINESS

This picture (like all my pictures) is 100% real, there is no digital manipulation. The midnight sky is illuminated by noctilucent clouds, a treat that my home country of Finland can offer to a CSL driver in search of beauty. (Later in this thread I will tell more about the unbelievable amount of time and effort invested in taking of these photographs.)

Even non-BMW-enthusiasts can tell that the fast car that just overtook them was a CSL, thanks to a badge on the back.

And to ensure that the vehicle is correctly identified from all angles, CSL lettering is also visible on the sides of the car, replacing the M3 badges.

This car is equipped with the optional xenon light and headlight washer system.

A sticker on the windshield reminds the driver that the car is on semi-slicks. Driver should be careful when driving in very wet conditions or when the temperature is below 7°C (45°F).

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires look very different compared to normal street tires. Tire sizes are 235/35 ZR19 (front) and 265/30 ZR19 (rear).

Wheels are – of course – manufactured by BBS and their measurements are 8.5Jx19 (front) and 9.5Jx19 (rear). The brake discs have a diameter of 345 mm (front) and 328mm (rear).

This car is running on the original “660” rear wheels that are very sought-after today.

It is a bit funny that while the super-expensive carbon fiber roof is saving some 7 kilograms of weight, the vehicle still has many luxury items that add weight to the roof, such as coat hooks.

Coat hooks even have a cool mechanism that folds them out-of-sight when not needed. And how often are they needed in a CSL?

Illuminated make-up mirrors are a must, so that the driver can immediately fix his/her hair after removing the helmet.

There are reading lights for 4 people. I can understand the ones in the front, for example the co-driver may need to view a map, but I have a feeling that the ones in the back are very rarely used.

CSL also has four power windows as standard. My thinking is that their weight is very close to a manual system. And if the car has been ordered without the air-conditioning, being able to open the rear windows on a hot day can save the race.

Melissa is demonstrating that the correct oil to be used is Castrol TWS Motorsport. Some people may also notice that there is no sound insulation on the inside of the engine hood.

Thank you for reading this post and stay tuned for MUCH MUCH more!

Click here to jump straight to Chapter 2

Anssi
    Last edited by m5time; 02-13-2013 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Added a link to jump straight to Chapter 2

My Cars
    E30 Cabrio M-tech2 V8
    Anssi - you're one crazy guy! (in a good way! )

I can say I've some idea on how much time you've used on taking those pictures, as the pictures we took of my cabrio a while ago took ages to "make right".. It demands quite a lot of passion to make these things in a correct way

Anyway, looking forward to more pictures and story of the car!
    BMW E30 Cabrio M-Tech, a neverending story. Now with V8!

My Cars
    triple rare US E36 M3
    like whoa dude.
    BMWCCA Member 376052
    RIP Pandashizzle

My Cars
    E30
    Wow, OP of the decade? I think so!

A great thread so far, I will be keeping a very close eye on Meliss- Sorry, I meant "this thread". I adore a CSL and yours is just as clean as they get... Have fun and drive it like it's meant to be driven!

My Cars
    E30
    Wow, OP of the decade? I think so!

A great thread so far, I will be keeping a very close eye on Meliss- Sorry, I meant "this thread". I adore a CSL and yours is just as clean as they get... Have fun and drive it like it's meant to be driven!

My Cars
    Boosted '92 325is
    Ummmmmm.....

My Cars
    07 BSM/BLK Z4 M Coupe
    damn, i want one so badly. very good job on the pictures!!!!

2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Fully Optioned | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | Michelin PS2s 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob | RPi Scoops/Air Filter

My Cars
    96 M3
    daaaaaaammmnnnnnnn omfg

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    I have seen very few things sexier...

Next time make it a brunette though please. That's the only thing I can say is wrong here
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I freaking love that car
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe,E90 328i
    Wow

My Cars
    BMW

My Cars
    gt35r e36 m3/2/5
    the last pic
    PSN ID: HASHMASTR

My Cars
    2000 M5
    The pics don't load up on my work computer, did you host them on some restricted site?

My Cars
    2000 323ci
    we need melissa to do more demonstrations

car=

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3
    CSL.

I will own one, one day.

Need to finish undergrad in already foreign country and get a job in Europe to get a CSL.

Profit?

My Cars
    330ci
    Awesome post..I Love the CSL, the first time I saw one in person I think I took 100 pictures of it:-) One day I will own one, just have to finish school and work harder:-)
    Sold-1995 Hellrot E36M3/Sold-1991 brilliantrot E30M3

"Ich mag ein nacktes, leichtes Auto haben. Für gemütlich geh ich ins Bett." Tim Schrick

My Cars
    E30325i e34m5 e46m3 e36m

My Cars
    94 b3 3.0 96 b8 4.0
    amazing car and great post . im pretty sure i saw melissa last time i was at jiffy lube

My Cars
    98 M3

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP; 2012 M3
    I remember that article in Roundel! It was really good and made me very jealous. Have fun with your ultimate Bimmer and keep taking care of her!!
    BMW CCA Member 440285 - Golden Gate Chapter

2003 Imolarot 330i ZHP
    2008 Z4 M Roadster
    2012 Dinan 4.6L M3 ZCP

My Cars
    97,98 E36 M3
    Winning
    98 M3 Coupe
    intake/muffler delete/M50 Manifold/Tuned
    97 M3 Sedan
    intake/X-pipe/ weight redux

Sold Cars
    99 M3, 95 M3, 92 325i, 95 325i, 09 135i, 96 328i

My Cars
    Avus M3, dumped e46 323i
    Im speechless, your the man, i dont think ive ever seen one posted here. You should do us all a huge favor, and make a video, please, PLEASE!!

My Cars
    slow e39
    One super high quality thread right here! I always want an E46 M3 ever since I saw it in NFS most wanted back in the day and still want it until today. I will get one for sure once I got everything else settled down. Maybe not CSL, since they are hard to find and if there is one it will be expensive. That duck tail trunk captures me the most along with the 19" CSL rims

My Cars
    E34 M5, E30 M3, E38 L7
    The very best.

The first time I drove one, I was hooked

Only flaw,in track use, might be the brakes.

When people ask what's so special about a CSL (they were about 45% more expensive overhere) I always say,

the difference between a 330i and an M3, is about the same as between an M3 and a CSL.

Wout
    E34 M5
    E30 M3
    E30 325i's
    E30 Alpina racecar
    E28 Alpina V12 driftcar
    E38 L7 V12

for pictures, www.wheelmen.wordpress.com our daily updated BMW classic and youngtimer blog

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast