1 11-72-7-540-468 VALVE
    1 11-72-7-505-259 GASKET ASBESTOS"

1 11-61-7-544-805 ADJUSTER UNIT
    Replace Oil separator, hose and pipe
    1 11-61-7-534-237 REPAIR KIT VER FOR COLD
    1 11-15-7-532-629 VENT HOUSE
    1 11-61-7-504-536 RETURN PIPE

VCG was not replaced , i just cleaned it
    Last edited by champaign777; 04-30-2012 at 06:52 PM.

My Cars
    08 e92 335i
    First and foremost AMAZING thread. People like yourself not only keep great cars alive but help many others do the same. You keep forums filled with a wealth of information. Nice car btw also lol.

What brings me here is a MINT 03 e39 530i. The car has 60k miles never been hit/painted. Sport + Xexons are the options that stand out to me. I am going to buy it once it he is ready to sell(soon). I have a few basic questions for you. Where did you source the piano black interior trim from? Love it.

Also at 60k on the clock what's some preventive maintaince stuff I should undoubtedly do? I don't want to fix things that aren't broken but I would like to be preventive in keeping the car running strong. It will be my dd and I will show it as much if not more love then the current owner.

Thanks in Advance

My Cars
    02 525i (rip), 07 328i
    I think you should get rid of the spoiler and get a lip spoiler, and Mtech bumpers. Other then that car looks awesome!!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLzZZ View Post
    First and foremost AMAZING thread. People like yourself not only keep great cars alive but help many others do the same. You keep forums filled with a wealth of information. Nice car btw also lol.

What brings me here is a MINT 03 e39 530i. The car has 60k miles never been hit/painted. Sport + Xexons are the options that stand out to me. I am going to buy it once it he is ready to sell(soon). I have a few basic questions for you. Where did you source the piano black interior trim from? Love it.

Also at 60k on the clock what's some preventive maintaince stuff I should undoubtedly do? I don't want to fix things that aren't broken but I would like to be preventive in keeping the car running strong. It will be my dd and I will show it as much if not more love then the current owner.

Thanks in Advance
    I would look here:
    Common E39 Problems
    Common problems and fixes
    E39 Problems Checklist

Mike Miller's Old-school Maintenance Schedule:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1271469

Old School BMW Maintenance Schedule v02.11

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BaLLzZZ View Post

Thanks in Advance
    thank you sir
    yes i like MINT cars , this why i started this project
    Just get one 2002-2003 530i with a Sport Package ( i doubt you can find one with so low miles, even M5 with low miles much easy to find than low miles 530i Sport )
    + on this forum you will find all info which you need
    I would skip 2001 year as a first year of facelift
    Cant comment on piano black interior trim as it was ordered by a first owner
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack1000 View Post
    I think you should get rid of the spoiler and get a lip spoiler, and Mtech bumpers. Other then that car looks awesome!!
    thanks for the comment but I cant agree with you
    AC Schnitzer spoilers on this car are part of M package and they came from the factory . They look great and i like them
    The factory bumpers on these cars are great as well , I have no intention of installing any M5 bumpers to be an M5 clone
    The only thing which i probably would like to do is a cutting rear bumper for some nice tip / custom exhaust
    and a lip from ECS on a front bumper

----------------------------------------

one more comment on all above
    i found out that after 1000 miles car drives better
    I think for all BIG job like i did above the Break-in Service is highly recommended
    This is related to all suspension / engine / bearing / strut/ shock components
    Last edited by champaign777; 05-31-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    Quote Originally Posted by thestigclt View Post
    car looks fantastic but sorry i am not a fan of those mud flaps. Do you really need them?

+100
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    champaing how much improve your bass respond when you install the M Audio sub woofer?, versus the Nokia box?

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    champaing how much improve your bass respond when you install the M Audio sub woofer?, versus the Nokia box?
    it is i never use it even on 50%
    improvement is the same as Nokia Vs no sub at all

I am in doubt about SC install
    Everyone on m5 board says take M5 Vs 530i SC

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-sport-sc.html
    Last edited by champaign777; 05-31-2012 at 12:27 PM.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777

it is i never use it even on 50%
    improvement is the same as Nokia Vs no sub at all

I am in doubt about CS install

Do it, sc

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    if i could i would get an m5
    based on the reading i did supercharge doesn't seem like a great idea
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    I am in doubt about SC install

Two completely different things. Apples vs oranges.

If you're in doubt about a SC, then it's not for you. You have to balance all pros and cons of a SC I6 vs an M5 according to your money and what you usually do with your cars:

Go for the M5 if:

1. You don't care about mileage. Everyone say they care, but in reality most people can afford going from a 25mpg car to a 10mpg one. Be honest with yourself.
    2. Your current E39 holds no sentimental value and you don't think it's irreplaceable.
    3. You have other daily driver(s) and you use your E39 on occasions/not too frequently. You can afford having an M5 down for maintenance.
    4. You don't think the rack-and-pinion steering is such an improvement over recirculating balls and you're not in love with BMW's I6 engines.
    5. You live in a place with good roads, long straights, little traffic, relaxed cops.
    6. You're not that much into mechanical modding and you prefer stock, factory power over add ons.
    7. You won't be satisfied with a supercharged E39 and you know you will still want an M5.

Why I went for a SC instead?

2. I've spent so much money for my E39 to be as reliable as it is now. I truly don't want to go over all this again with a "new"/unknown car.
    3. I use my car as a daily. An M5 wouldn't be practical IMHO/wouldn't really take advantage of owning one.
    4. I'm in love with BMW's I6s. I think it's what BMW was born to do. In any case, I would buy an E46 M3 before an M5 just because of that I6.
    5. Bad roads, too much traffic. An M5 would never be able to stretch its legs on public roads. Even quick bursts could cause massive damage or an accident here.

I can afford buying an M5, paying for its fuel and parts. Also, I would LOVE to own one but it's simply not rational nor practical for me, hence my decision to SC. An M is an M no matter what you do to your humble non-M E39. But even then, there is a feeling of accomplishment when someone asks you what's under your bonnet and you say it's a supercharged BMW. We're a selected few and it feels great. There are 3 or 4 E39 M5s here and just 1 supercharged E39.
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 05-31-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

Champaign about your posts on 4/2 and 4/19
    Are those side window visors and do you like them?
    Which side of the trunk do these fit in , I think I need one of those to put a qt of oil and rags in
    Do you have a part #

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    Two completely different things. Apples vs oranges.

If you're in doubt about a SC, then it's not for you. You have to balance all pros and cons of a SC I6 vs an M5 according to your money and what you usually do with your cars:

Go for the M5 if:

1. You don't care about mileage. Everyone say they care, but in reality most people can afford going from a 25mpg car to a 10mpg one. Be honest with yourself.
    2. Your current E39 holds no sentimental value and you don't think it's irreplaceable.
    3. You have other daily driver(s) and you use your E39 on occasions/not too frequently. You can afford having an M5 down for maintenance.
    4. You don't think the rack-and-pinion steering is such an improvement over recirculating balls and you're not in love with BMW's I6 engines.
    5. You live in a place with good roads, long straights, little traffic, relaxed cops.
    6. You're not that much into mechanical modding and you prefer stock, factory power over add ons.
    7. You won't be satisfied with a supercharged E39 and you know you will still want an M5.

Why I went for a SC instead?

2. I've spent so much money for my E39 to be as reliable as it is now. I truly don't want to go over all this again with a "new"/unknown car.
    3. I use my car as a daily. An M5 wouldn't be practical IMHO/wouldn't really take advantage of owning one.
    4. I'm in love with BMW's I6s. I think it's what BMW was born to do. In any case, I would buy an E46 M3 before an M5 just because of that I6.
    5. Bad roads, too much traffic. An M5 would never be able to stretch its legs on public roads. Even quick bursts could cause massive damage or an accident here.

I can afford buying an M5, paying for its fuel and parts. Also, I would LOVE to own one but it's simply not rational nor practical for me, hence my decision to SC. An M is an M no matter what you do to your humble non-M E39. But even then, there is a feeling of accomplishment when someone asks you what's under your bonnet and you say it's a supercharged BMW. We're a selected few and it feels great. There are 3 or 4 E39 M5s here and just 1 supercharged E39.
    this was a good one , i like it

Quote Originally Posted by bluewater530 View Post
    Champaign about your posts on 4/2 and 4/19
    Are those side window visors and do you like them?
    Which side of the trunk do these fit in , I think I need one of those to put a qt of oil and rags in
    Do you have a part #
    one day i want to remove window visors , another day i want to keep them
    the good :
    sunny protection
    you can open window when it rains outside and be dry inside
    the bad
    noise after 90-100MPH
    more gas consuming ?

the trunk box is from the right side , i dont remember part#
    Last edited by champaign777; 05-31-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    Sc your 530i and put an LSD

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

Are they the weather tech in channel one's or something else ?
    How do they look on the car ? Getto or just right with 35% tint
    Last edited by bluewater530; 06-01-2012 at 07:27 AM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    After 2-3k miles i dicided to take care of my brakes
    I knew it will happen so nothing that I did not expect

The issue :
    -- a lot of dust from OEM pads which are killing my 5 style wheels
    -- Driver front wheel a bit hot after long trips . When I spin it it’s not as smooth as a right one
    So I decided to rebuild my 4 calipers as well
    -- need to change brake fluid . Never did it, so its time to do it
    -- rear pads are 80 % gone and front 60 % . Going to buy a new rotors and pads as well

As many folks say we need some air compressor so found a good deal at Harbor Freight

Also bought Front/ Rear Caliper Rebuild Kit, Brake Hoses , Guide Bushing Repair Kit and ATE Super Blue brake fluid from Pelican parts

Here i used CNN DIY wery well documented as a reference
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=538290

First cleaned wery well caliper and pistons
    This job is must to have air tool , i am using it for the first time and have no idea how i worked before w/o it

Replace inner seal

install rubber boot from the top of picton and move it down

now install rubber boot into piston , start from one side , use 2 fingers to push the backside of the new rubber boot in place.

This part is a bit tricky , first i installed piston into caliper 2-3 time for easy installation and only then
    started final installation with a rubber boot on the piston

When it was done i was able to move caliper into place with fingers only w/o any tool ( this is a good sigh for the right installation i think )

Replace Guide Bushing ( I decided to replace them , they are cheap )

Done for the front

Rears did with CNN suggestion for the special tool from the old rubber boot

I am checking for a good deal on pads & rotors , any help is mucho appreciated
    Last edited by champaign777; 06-24-2012 at 08:11 PM.

My Cars
    '03 530
    Quote Originally Posted by thestigCLT View Post
    Ok. I am curious to know what the reasons were for replacing the following

SAP, CCV, hoses, VCG, DISA. Did they fail or was this done for preventative maintenance. Thanks.
    CCV and hoses degrade and gum up with age. From my experience they haven't gotten bad enough to have specific symptoms, but replacement has improved gas mileage and throttle response. VCGs leak like it's their job. If it's not leaking, it will, but no reason to replace it ahead of time unless you're pulling the VC for some reason. DISAs are known to fail sometimes, not sure for OP but if you've got the money it's not a bad preventative item.

Most of this had been done recently when I purchased my e39, but I did it all and VANOS seals on my e46 in one afternoon. It was a high mileage car and the difference was notable, to say the least.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    I checked my lines and they appear to be good so i decided do not replace them for now
    Ordered Akebano Euro pads and Zimmerman rotors
    Need to bleed my brakes for the first time , get compressor and motive euro bleeder ,
    will see which way is better ...

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Techno...luminum+Europe
    Last edited by champaign777; 06-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Looks like a good staff ( I hope ) , not a China crap
    Akebano Euro made in USA and Zimmermann FLAT rotors made in Germany

Last edited by champaign777; 07-19-2012 at 06:49 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    So i left my system open for a week with brake calipers removed and I forgot to pour fluid back into reservoir

When i came back after a week main reservoir was empty
    ( I know my bad , but i am doing it for the first time )

Now i installed new rotors, pads, rebuild calipers and bled the system with compressor under 15 psi ( CNN method )
    All went smooth , no air bubbles but my pedal is soft and i have excessive brake pedal travel

I believe that is because reservoir was empty and i probably got air into the system

I am reading this thread with a lot of good info

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/131...1#post13121466

Tomorrow i will try to re-bleed my system +ABS with help of BMW software ( DIS )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go with GT1 BLEEDING
    The bleeding is under service function => DCS 5.7 => Control module / hydraulics => bleeding, DCS hydraulics
    I was searching this info around 1H , was really not easy to find where this option is
    finally

Next you go to test plan and read 1-8 how to proceed

Basically 1-5 explained by CNN as a one man bleeding

1-man Hydraulic Bleeding Kit for those with Air Compressor!

So I used euro ATE Euro Cap for the air compressor which come with a Black Label Aluminum European Power Bleeder ( i didnt use it , only the perfect aluminum cap )

Now top fluid to MAX mark in reservoir , install ATE Euro Cap on the top of reservoir and connect it to air compressor using the quick disconnect

Keep air compressor UNDER 15 PSI ( TIS said less than 2 bar )

Now attach empty bottle to the small connector on RR caliper , release it and start to bleed with GT1 in the following order

1. Start bleeding , - it will push fluid down to the empty bottle
    2. Activate pressupply pump , - this will activate pump ( more fluid )
    3. Press pedal 5 times as far it is will go

Top more fluid and repeat for the LR, then RF and then LF, every time add more fluid

Now i dont have any single buble in my system ( It was some air in ABS for the FL driver side caliper ) but still my pedal is soft

In the end i think it is new Akebano pads problem , looks like they are total CRAP , i am going to send them back and buy some quality pads

Stay tuned
    Last edited by champaign777; 07-01-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Akebono Ultra Ceramic pads i get were made somewhere in the south China

one side was 13 MM

and another side was almost 14 MM

When you push brakes on such a crappy pads this is what happens

And this is after 10 miles only of very gentle brakes

Ended up with England EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads , so far so good

You get what you pay for
    Last edited by champaign777; 07-20-2012 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6 Sport
    OP, will you be my mechanic?

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C
    nice thread!

i don't understand... you said you got Akebono pads that were made in USA.. and now you're saying they are made in China?

I've installed dozen's of sets of Akebono pads on many BMWs and non-BMWs cars and have never had a problem with them. Everyone who has them (based on my recommendation, since I helped them install it) have loved them. They have to be broken in properly though... they don't grip very well when they are fresh... but after a few break-in cycles (also known as "bedding in" the brake pads), they work great.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    when you see one side > other side on 1 MM you think they can be made only in South China ( or Zimbabwe ) even it mentioned USA
    LOL
    Last edited by champaign777; 07-30-2012 at 01:46 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i - 2010 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    AC Schnitzer spoilers on this car are part of M package and they came from the factory .
    Igor .. sorry to nit pick, but are you sure about this. I find no evidence of this on REALOEM and it's the one and only time I have heard of the ACS products being part of an OEM package.
    Albo's Official Upgrade Thread:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532572

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige w/ Retrofitted Black Plug Sport Seats) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 AC Schnitzer Type II Wheels w/ 245/40/18 Tires - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Front & Rear Sway Bars - Beastpower Rear Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow 14816 Muffler - Dinan Cold Air Intake - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - EMP Stewart Water Pump - ECS Tuning Aluminum Water Pump Pulley - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters - E90 Shift Knob + More to Come!!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast