Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 1995 BMW E36 M3 LTW Tribute/Track car

My Cars
    cars
    Did anyone get any video of the TC Kline restoration?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '94 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Evice View Post
    For more PTG Awesomeness, and #1 Rachel chasis imported to US.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8203745&type=3

Car has been TCKline Racing restored.
    soooo pretty.
    David Ortiz

My Cars
    2003 M5, 1995 M3 GTR
    I will reply to everyone just give me a few minutes.

Update Gentleman:

HUGE THANKS to Hawk Industries I would highly recommend them for work if you are in or near the Colorado area.

Last edited by elliott95; 05-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.

My Cars
    cars
    Looking pretty good so far. Are you planning to tie into subframe/diff/rta? What about front shock tower support?
    Last edited by Steve J.; 05-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 1995 M3 GTR
    Along:

Thanks again for posting what you know!!! I will probably PM you later in the year with a few questions. That's amazing you have the original body work from that first car by the way....

Mikelenoch5:

The reason i haven't decided to build a full carbon dash and doors yet is because of TIME. It takes lots and lots of time to build things like that and i just don't have the time at the moment. I have been hunting for a non M dash to mold though......

Steve J:

No, i have not called any of the different racing organizations asking for allowance but the cage will integrate straight down tubes to a plate from the main hoop so technically what i am adding is just "added safety" which is allowed. I have read over the rules a few different times and they are all similar in fashion (,nasa, scca, cca) etc.

If i come across a problem i can always submit it to the special allowance office for approval but the cage should pass just fine.

I would love pictures of the car if you still have them!! Its nice to compare different styles and chassis etc.

Yes i am planning to tie in the subframe/diff and maybe the rta but it wont come until later. The front shock towers will also be tied into the cage but again it will come later.

This "cage" was actually supposed to be a bolt in roll bar at first. As you can see i got a little carried away...... After reading various threads i soon realized a bolt in bar is not worth the time nor money (in my opinion) and i opted for a weld in bar. After researching different cars i figured i should spend extra money to make the rear what i will eventually want.

Remember i am just a young guy in school and working full time so the budget is unfortunately limited.....

The cage will probably be finished off over winter....I know this is the wrong way to do it and the whole cage should be done all at once but it wasn't in the cards money wise and this rear section is way stronger/safer then a bolt in bar for the time being. (The car will see open track days etc in the mean time)

Thanks for all the comments guys!!! Update later today.

EDIT: PS: If you guys need any work done i would highly recommend SCR Performance out of northern Colorado. Also an even bigger thanks to Tyler from Hawk Industries!!!!!!! (Cage Fabrication and Design). This car went in for a simple design and between our research and phone conversations it evolved into this. He couldn't have been nicer and more patient. The car sat in the shop for a few weeks (my fault) while we figured out the design (he didnt mind at all) and when it was finally picked the car was finished in one week. Thanks again Tyler!!!
    Last edited by elliott95; 05-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.

My Cars
    94 BMW 325IS Coupe
    cage looks awesome, Im hoping i can find a competent cage builder here in Mich for mine.
    -Justin-
    ~94 BMW 325IS~
    ~03 Chevy 2500hd~

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Better double check the rules, I don't think those drag race door bars are legal. Good Luck, Nate.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPink View Post
    cage looks awesome, Im hoping i can find a competent cage builder here in Mich for mine.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports - Waterford

My Cars
    94 BMW 325IS Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ///M3Augy View Post
    Angry Sheep Motorsports - Waterford
    thank you sir.
    -Justin-
    ~94 BMW 325IS~
    ~03 Chevy 2500hd~

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ALong View Post
    I have the last set of BMW Motorsports M3 GTR spare bodywork (Picture 1). It was a spare set for Johny Cecotto's ADAC GT M3. PTG bought it from BMW Motosport in 1995. They used it for that season and on Matt Cohen's M3 in 1996. PTG used the bodywork as a template to make their version 2 widebody (picture 3) which was a similar shape but 3" wider. Also they made those bodypanels out of Carbon Fiber to save weight.

I was at PTG in 1996 when they were building my SCCA T2 M3 and found the bodywork sitting on a palet behind their building. I asked them about it and ended up buying it from them. The bodywork is made of Kevlar and is not painted but actually gel coated in alpine white (like a boat). Currently the body kit resides in my attic gathering dust. Unfortunately it is too valuable to install on my racecar... One of these days I will have to get some molds made of the bodywork and install the reproductions instead.

In regards to your questions on the strut tower location and Alex L' comments. Yokohama M3 is an early PTG car so it uses a BMW Motorsport Group A/N chassis. So the strut tower is actually in the stock location. Comparing it to the photo of your car it looks different, but that is because PTG, cut out the OE sheet metal around the wheel well, and tubbed it using new steel sheets. But if you look at the location of the strut it is the same. Now the later PTG cars, did end up using a copy of the BMW Motorsport Super Touring Car chassis. On those cars, the front end is tubbed, the strut tower is fabricated, raised and moved back.

If you use the orginal BMW Motorsport GTR bodywork, the gap between the tire and the fender looks normal when using any type of race coilover with a normal ammount of lowering (ie not enough to affect geometry). Alex L is correct about the later bodywork. Using the later bodywork, even with the car lowered to a point that it does not affect the geometry, you will still have a huge gap between the tire and the fender, giving it the 4x4 look. The original GTR's were bascially widebody Group A cars, so the suspension geometry is close to stock, the only difference being the pickup point for the front lower control arm is moved up to prevent bumpsteer.
    Woah, you actually have a set of the original ADAC GTR cars body parts????!!!!!!!!

The original BMW Motorsport GTR is THE ultimate E36 and, to me, the ultimate BMW. I was planning the exact same thing as the guy that started this thread in 2008 but decided it was just too ambitious when I found out about the geometry thing but I didn't realise the original (proper) GTR was stock geometry.

Is there even the remotest of chances you will ever actually go ahead and take molds of the kit and sell any? Because if you did I'd be first in the que! I'm sure a few others would, too.

Oh, just to add what I know of those original GTR's: I think there is definately at least two more than the ones you mentioned because there was a #1 and a #2 flag decaled Cecotto car and I also read (can't remember where exactly, it was a long time ago!) but there are actually two road versions of the GTR. A member of the Quandt family had the other one, apparently.

My Cars
    Euro Group N M3, 2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 ARW

Woah, you actually have a set of the original ADAC GTR cars body parts????!!!!!!!!

The original BMW Motorsport GTR is THE ultimate E36 and, to me, the ultimate BMW. I was planning the exact same thing as the guy that started this thread in 2008 but decided it was just too ambitious when I found out about the geometry thing but I didn't realise the original (proper) GTR was stock geometry.

Is there even the remotest of chances you will ever actually go ahead and take molds of the kit and sell any? Because if you did I'd be first in the que! I'm sure a few others would, too.

Oh, just to add what I know of those original GTR's: I think there is definately at least two more than the ones you mentioned because there was a #1 and a #2 flag decaled Cecotto car and I also read (can't remember where exactly, it was a long time ago!) but there are actually two road versions of the GTR. A member of the Quandt family had the other one, apparently.
    There were only two original GTR race cars. The Cecotto car and the Nielsen car. One street car was made to homologate the GTR for the ADAC series. This was "sold" to a member of the Quandt family but currently resides at BMW M as the GTR concept car.

I have thought of making some molds to produce some bodywork. You are not the first one to ask for copies. Unfortunately molds are expensive to make..... I would need to pre sell a number of kits to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by elliott95 View Post
    Hey guys i thought i would start a thread because my project is finally moving. My name is Elliott and i am a young guy that purchased a bone stock 1995 E36 M3 from an older gentleman in May of 2009. I have been saving up money left and right and making parts for the car in the mean time.

The car will be a fun track day, weekend car, daily driver when i feel like driving it but i also wanted to incorporate the LTW tribute theme as well. The car has 123,000 miles on it and i bought it with 112,000 so it has really just been sitting and been getting built.

It is alpine white 300 over dove gray but i bought a full interior in black and swapped it out. It is almost all carbon today but it did have door panels and carpet for about a month haha.

Here are some general shots of how the car has changed. I bought a few bumpers, a few wings, and i have changed my mind with the direction the was going to go in a few times.

It is getting primer tomorrow, then it will go to paint when i have the time/money.

Here are the different parts from when i got the car to today, with some random shots of wheels, interior etc

Here is a bumper i bought to fix after the OEM one was destroyed. I did fix it but i wanted a brand new one.

can you please show me how you did your engine wire tuck as i want to do the same

My Cars
    Your project is really fantastic, thanks for posting such amazing and informative post. Car tracker

My Cars
    2003 M5, 1995 M3 GTR
    UPDATE

Finished the car to stage #1:

Detailed Photos soon but here are a few:

Last edited by elliott95; 07-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.

My Cars
    911, 95 M3

My Cars
    03 M3
    wow... looks great, needs a drop though :O

My Cars
    '74 2002, '91 E30
    Nice job, looks great!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

My Cars
    95' E36 M3,02'Ford F-150
    Man does that look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Theres Awesome, and then there's this car- 10 steps above! Just perfect

My Cars
    Black
    Very nice car! I love the weight reduction project

My Cars
    1983 e21 coupe
    nice work. it looks good

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    Beautiful! Nice work!

My Cars
    2003 M5, 1995 M3 GTR
    UPDATE:

Here are some interior shots after the paint work was finished. Sorry this has taken so long for people still following my thread.

I started engineering school and have been overwhelmed with math homework. The car is finished for a while but i am working on my intake (just finished it) and i will install and update with a video and pictures. I have a week off so i might paint the engine bay and seal up the underside of the car where the cage was welded.

I still need to clean up the wiring, put my full size spare in with tie downs and install a tool box. I want to make this car a grand tourer. I am driving a lot so i might add some comfort back into it. We will see

PS: Let me tell you how fun that cage was to paint..... Talk about planning your steps ahead. I have painted a lot including the exterior of this car and the car was very difficult to get right IE no runs, gloss finish everywhere, no over spray, and not to miss any areas.....ugh it was work...

Any panel in the car before has been replaced with carbon fiber

Door panels

I have gauges.... I just need to install them.... kinda being lazy

Last edited by elliott95; 11-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.

My Cars
    98 alpine white m3
    why is the ride height so high?

'98 M3 Alpine White Gone but never forgotten!
    '04 M3 SMG Imola Red
    '11 X5 35D Titanium Silver

My Cars
    2003 M5, 1995 M3 GTR
    The ride height is high because its winter here and because i still need to buy suspension. Its one of the last things to do on this car (that's real major).

Should be changed soon!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast