Thread: 2005 sonata

My Cars
    1998 740il

2005 sonata

Anyone here know how possible it would be to fit a bmw engine into a 2005 hyundai sonata? Trying to make a good sleeper car, one thing that I'm not sure about is that the car is FWD, I feel as though this would make something like this more difficult maybe. Also what engine do you think I could fit that would be good for performance/upgrades.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Sounds difficult to me. For background purposes, how much experience do you have with major car mechanical projects?
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by motorV8ed View Post
    Sounds difficult to me. For background purposes, how much experience do you have with major car mechanical projects?
    I'd say I'm intermediate, but I'm surrounded by guys who have completely restored cars and have done a lot of work.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    I caution you that I don't have a great idea, but I have some thoughts.

The Sonata came with either an I4 or a V6. Most BMW engines you would want to use are an I6. I think they will be too long to fit.

Let's say it fits. You will need to make custom engine mounts to locate the engine in the compartment. Probably looking at welding your own.

Next, you need to mate the engine to the transaxle. You will need an adapter plate, etc. How will you get this? Will you design it and CNC machine it?

You will probably need to fabricate a custom exhaust system.

You want to upgrade the engine power, right? The Sonata engine put out like 170HP and 180 ft-lbs torque. You want substantially more than this, right? Well, can the poor Sonata transaxle handle this?

You will need to use the BMW engine control unit (DME), but you will have to talk to that. I would therefore advise using an older engine, pre-Vanos.

So, I agree with you that it really is the FWD layout that makes this a non-starter. It really makes it that you have to follow the same path as the original car designers, with little wiggle room to move anything.

Maybe it would be better to think about slapping a turbo on a V6 Sonata?
    Diving in at the shallow end!