Thread: 2006 bmw 650i water leak into trunk damaging electric components need help!!!!!!

My Cars
    2006 bmw 650i

Angry 2006 bmw 650i water leak into trunk damaging electric components need help!!!!!!

Hi i have a 2006 bmw 650i, with 87000 miles and has the certified warranty till 100,000 miles, i just found a huge water leak into the trunk that has ruined some of the electronics and now is in need of $4,700 worth of repairs!!!!!, but warranty doesn't wana cover when it's obviously a design flaw. Please if anybody knows what to do about this or has been in this situation before please let me know thanks!!!!!

My Cars
    e60
    well where was the leak and why don't they want to cover and what was damaged?

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    He has the CPO warranty which is not comprehensive. Why was the damage caused by a "design flaw" as you say?

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    2006 bmw 650i
    Bulletin Number: SI-B-51-26-08
    BMW VEHICLE: MODIFYING THE REAR WATER DRAIN HOSES. OVER TIME THE 4 DRAINS MAY BECOME BLOCKED BY LEAVES AND DEBRIS. ONCE CLOGGED, WATER MAY COLLECT AND OVERFLOW INTO TRUNK, DAMAGING VARIOUS ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS. *PE

this is what i found on this topic so far, why wouldn't it be a design flaw if water leaks inside the car especially where the electronic's are???? but now they are claiming the leak is coming from the tail light's, the car has never been in any accident nor modified!!!!!

the wiring harness,logic 7 amp, and a bunch of other stuff, hell i don't even remmember how much stuff he told me it needed!!!!

BMW VEHICLE: MODIFYING THE REAR WATER DRAIN HOSES. OVER TIME THE 4 DRAINS MAY BECOME BLOCKED BY LEAVES AND DEBRIS. ONCE CLOGGED, WATER MAY COLLECT AND OVERFLOW INTO TRUNK, DAMAGING VARIOUS ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS. *PE

this is what i found on this topic so far, why wouldn't it be a design flaw if water leaks inside the car especially where the electronic's are???? but now they are claiming the leak is coming from the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]tail [COLOR=blue !important]light's[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], the car has never been in any accident nor modified!!!!!

the wiring harness,logic 7 amp, and a bunch of other stuff, hell i don't even remmember how much stuff he told me it needed!!!!
    Last edited by bigktx; 01-19-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    'why wouldn't it be a design flaw if water leaks inside the car especially where the electronic's are????'

Because you didn't give us enough information. It could have been user error-- you going through a car wash with the trunk popped, for example. So don't get defensive, we didn't have enough to go off of.

Bulletins are different from recalls in that repair is not mandatory and they typically don't extend past the warranty period, but I believe CPO should cover (don't quote me here). People typically learn about bulletins when they take their cars in for service, or when they complain about the problem the bulletin is for. If your car is not serviced by the dealership, you should have to seek out the bulletin, like you just did, to learn about it. However, since you have established this is a known problem, I would bring the proof with you to the dealership to see if you can't get them to change their tune.

My Cars
    e60
    Clogged water drains are one of the leading causes of water in the trunk in most cars.

My Cars
    2006 bmw 650i
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBeam View Post
    'why wouldn't it be a design flaw if water leaks inside the car especially where the electronic's are????'

Because you didn't give us enough information. It could have been user error-- you going through a car wash with the trunk popped, for example. So don't get defensive, we didn't have enough to go off of.

Bulletins are different from recalls in that repair is not mandatory and they typically don't extend past the warranty period, but I believe CPO should cover (don't quote me here). People typically learn about bulletins when they take their cars in for service, or when they complain about the problem the bulletin is for. If your car is not serviced by the dealership, you should have to seek out the bulletin, like you just did, to learn about it. However, since you have established this is a known problem, I would bring the proof with you to the dealership to see if you can't get them to change their tune.

i already tried that, i've bought them proof that this is a common issue but they still denied it, i'v even called BMW of north america and they can't do a damn thing but apologize about it. however it's always been serviced at the dealer since brand new i've never took it through a automatic car wash neither has the previous owner which i've known him personally. the car has been babied since new i love my car but i think i'm done with BMW if they don't fix this issue!!!!. i really don't have $4700 to spend on a problem that shouldn'y have happened from the first place!!!!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Maybe it's time to have an applicable attorney review the warranty, depending on what he can find, a letter from an attorney will still get further than you as a consumer.
    Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    98 528i
    Clogged drains are normal, putting all the electronics at the lowest point of the trunk was a stupid move on bmw's part but a lot of their vehicles suffer this problem, seems modules are always in potential paths for water leaks on newer models. Good luck with this one, will be a tough battle.
    BMW Master Technician
    -2001 540i 6-speed

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i
    I hope I don't come off as I am taking the dealers side but isn't it the drivers responsibility to clean the drains of leaves and such? I mean i don't see how the dealer could possibly be responsible for this. Before I was a tech my father told me it was important to do this and I have been doing it since then especially during the fall season. The bullet inn is there just to make the tech's job easier and quicker to find the problem not so it can be warrantied. Once again I am not trying to take sides here man but I think the car manufacturer is responsible for making sure there is drains in the car and they route water properly under normal conditions. Like gutters on houses. They do their job but we need to clean them and we don't blame the gutter manufacturer for leaves clogging them right? I hope they good will it for you.

My Cars
    2006 bmw 650i
    Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post
    I hope I don't come off as I am taking the dealers side but isn't it the drivers responsibility to clean the drains of leaves and such? I mean i don't see how the dealer could possibly be responsible for this. Before I was a tech my father told me it was important to do this and I have been doing it since then especially during the fall season. The bullet inn is there just to make the tech's job easier and quicker to find the problem not so it can be warrantied. Once again I am not trying to take sides here man but I think the car manufacturer is responsible for making sure there is drains in the car and they route water properly under normal conditions. Like gutters on houses. They do their job but we need to clean them and we don't blame the gutter manufacturer for leaves clogging them right? I hope they good will it for you.
    i get what you're saying but, my point is i never knew that the drains needed to be unclogged and besides why in the world would it overflow into the trunk of the car regardless if there is electronic's there or not, that's what i really don't get!!!!

that's what i'm planning on doing, but i'm having a tough time finding the right one that would take that kind of case in the dallas area.
    Last edited by bigktx; 01-19-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

BradR127 is offline Drip Loop Squad BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '98 M3, '20 A4
    Quote Originally Posted by bigktx View Post

this is what i found on this topic so far, why wouldn't it be a design flaw if water leaks inside the car especially where the electronic's are???? but now they are claiming the leak is coming from the tail light's, the car has never been in any accident nor modified!!!!!

It is possible to get a leak around the taillights without being in an accident.... It's just a rubber seal between the light and the body. The car is roughly 6 years old. I'm not saying it's definitely the reason for the leak since I can't see the car... just that it's possible.

My Cars
    e60
    I hope I don't come off as I am taking the dealers side but isn't it the drivers responsibility to clean the drains of leaves and such?
    yes, this is one of the things i check every time i wash the car. on every car i've ever owned. bmw or not. i would probably also notice water in the trunk before it got to kill electronics level.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    If the car is being maintained by the dealership, the original poster has reason to believe that maintenance like this is taking part.

By the way, I got a leak in a taillight on the MINI too, it is very common and it nuked my $600 HK amp.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xi
    Hmmm... I have never had to clean trunk drains before. I have never had to shop vac out my trunk before. I have never had a car with the electronics positioned at the lowest point before. Now I do... lol.

I removed the MULF and RDC myself and ordered them from BMW for a total of $700.00. My car is used and off warranty soI am on my own except for the help of these forums. With out them I would have spent a lot more time and money than needed. Thanks to all posters!!!!!!
    2008 535xi

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    To clear a couple things up.

CPO warranty does not cover any water leaks, or the damage they cause. Period

The bulletin that was posted was a service action for all convertibles, and was performed at some point during the history of your car or else it would come up as an open campaign when the key was read in.

It is not a technician's job to clean your drains during service. Clogged drains happen from time to time with multiple models. Am I to understand I should pull headliners down everytime a car with a sunroof comes in for service?

I'm sorry to say but CPO warranty clearly states that this is not covered so you really don't have a leg to stand on.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    CORRECT, CPO does not cover wind noise, rattles, water leaks period. It also does not cover audio systems, Nav system, or Phone systems. so if a "Water leak" damaged the "Audio" amp then both are not covered. its clearly stated in the CPO manual you should have gotten with the car when you purchased it, if you purchased it from a dealer.

Is it a coupe (i assume by the 650i in sig) or a convertable. the bulletin mentioned was for the convertables.

it is possible the sunroof drains are plugged causing the normal water ingress to not drain and instead spill over the head liner down the rear pillar and damage the amp. we have also seen the rear trunk seal become damaged or deformed and when driving in the rain the car will suck water in the rear of the trunk. is there water in other places?

good luck with that one sounds like its on you for this repair.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 645ci

Water Leak

I realize this is an old post but i have to reply to the ridiculous comment. When our house glutters are clogged, the water falls on the ground not over our flat screen tv's or circuit breakers.

I'm convinced that all these BMW problems have been foreseen by the geniuses at BMW but most BMW's trade in or their leases expire well before these problems occur. An apt analogy is the VW Bug and fire problems. Hello, the carburetor was on top the distributor and those carbs were notorious for leaking gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent View Post

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by gobowz View Post
    I realize this is an old post but i have to reply to the ridiculous comment. When our house glutters are clogged, the water falls on the ground not over our flat screen tv's or circuit breakers.
    I don't think the analogy plays. After all, if the entire side of your house opened, and swung upward, then maybe if your gutter did get clogged water would backup and find some point to get inside and run down your walls. If you want to compare your car to your house, then your trunk lid would be smaller than your license plate.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318iC E30
    I found out what causes this, so I wanted to resurrect this post for clarification for anyone experiencing this problem. There are several vent holes and vent filter that open to the inner part of the fender to cool the audio modules. Unfortunately, there is no cover at the bottom of the bumper and anytime it rains (approx. a 4"x5"x7" triangle where the heat shield, bumper, and fender liner meet), the spray from the tire will draft right up into the inner fender and onto the modules. Only thing I can think of is to put some kind of cover over the gap.