Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater core in race cars?

My Cars
    M3 x2, 911 Turbo x2, etc
    The shipping costs really kills it. Is there no one in the states that does this???
    We've not found one. The other problem is local shipping. Transporting a windshield it not easy. So if you combine the order, they should be in the same geography.

Odd thing is the windshield is a popular Chinese brand used by our local installers - the quality is excellent though. So it seems odd a local supplier doesn't have them.

If you are ordering them, you should convince people to order a spare. One of our cars was hit by a bit of flying debris on the first use - muffler bracket I think. Crack! Shit happens... When we ordered them, 5 was the logical number.
    Last edited by PCarroll; 09-30-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Peter Carroll - http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll
    BMW Club Instructor & Club Racer, 1997 BMW M3 GTR #321
    2008, 2009, & 2011 BMW CCA National C-Mod Champion

Videos channels at:
    http://vimeo.com/pcarroll/videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pc270

My Cars
    Coupe
    Old thread but I figured I would comment but I now use a blower fan to pull air through my diff cooler onto the windshield. It actually works! When it's dry I have the cooler hooked up to a NACA duct. Just food for thought.
    2000 M Coupe
    [Always in progress !!!]

My Cars
    rotating frequently
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEAN View Post
    Dawn.
    +1

I DNF'd at Thunderbolt earlier this year because Fog-X does not work at all and I didn't know this bit of racing folklore about dishwashing liquid. I polished the inside of the glass with Dawn liquid and its like magic. No fogging at all.

Rip out that heater box!
    #54 GTS-3/CM E30 Race car
    90 Porsche 964 C2 Daily driver
    05 BMW 325XiT Kid hauler
    04 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
    Perpetual hopeless, unfinished projects

My Cars
    1992 BMW E34 520i Sedan
    Man, I'm having issue removing my core... It has 3 pipes going in it, and I really want to remove it completely. Same story is with me, never need A/C, already have solution for defogging. I'm just not sure how do I plug those pipes so water won't spray all the engine bay. Any tips on that, photos would be lovely. BTW, I've been looking for this post for long time and finally find a guy with the same issue. My Car is "91 E34.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    I removed the whole heater box in the z3 so much space . And good place to run all your electical components.

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    First of all, damn this is an old thread. Kudos to whoever SEARCHED for this thread and replied to it 5 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by RatedM3 View Post
    I need to replace or remove my heater core. Going to be putting new radiator in soon and don't want to continue to lose coolant. Car will eventually be built for I sport class.

How many of you guys have heater cores still? I've read there useful in the rain when windows fog up. Enlighten me please. I wouldn't mind the weight reduction and I rarely use the HVAC system in any of my cars, regardless of weather... That's what windows and jackets are for
    Even here in Texas we keep a heater core in our race cars. NASA race season starts here in late January, and its often cold even into our March events (we've raced in 30-35°F conditions many times).

We focus on keeping a functional Defroster to make sure the windshield is clear.

Nothing more frightening than not being able to SEE.

The placement of an aftermarket heater core / fan box is flexible... sometimes we mount it up on the dash bar of the cage (E46 above) and sometimes down low and pump the hot air through the two vents via 3" brake duct hoses (the Mustang shown above).

Weight savings for the little ~7 pound unit we use can be between 15-25 pounds, depending on the weight of the OEM airbox (Mustang airbox shown above).

It also de-clutters the guts behind the dash by removing a lot of "stuff" - both in weight and in the volume of ductwork and the OEM box. With all of the ducting and giant airbox removed you can remove a lot of the dash structure (see above) to lose even more weight.

The defroster box is installed and plumbed behind the "skin" of the E46 dash above, which is now sitting on the cage dash bar instead of the complicated OEM steel dash support structure.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/sum-991102-1/

The price on this used to be over $200, now its $149. Works great and we have used it many times.

Good luck,
    Last edited by Fair; 12-05-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    Several of us in RM region run THIS to fight off fogging. <$100 and works pretty darn well. Downside is replacing it when you take a rock to your windshield.
    Last edited by John in Houston; 12-05-2017 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Quote Originally Posted by John in Houston View Post
    Several of us in RM region run THIS to fight off fogging. <$100 and works pretty darn well. Downside is replacing it when you take a rock to your windshield.
    I use a product very similar to this, made for heating upright truck windshields to de-ice the bottoms of them.

http://www.mirrorliteco.com/northwind.html

Using it on polycarbonate windshield it works pretty well. I combine that with a bilge blower pulling air off the firewall behind the header.
    A good solution if you don't want to plumb any water into the car
    Last edited by jimmypet; 12-06-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12