Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater core in race cars?

My Cars
    '98 M3

Heater core in race cars?

I need to replace or remove my heater core. Going to be putting new radiator in soon and don't want to continue to lose coolant. Car will eventually be built for I sport class.

How many of you guys have heater cores still? I've read there useful in the rain when windows fog up. Enlighten me please. I wouldn't mind the weight reduction and I rarely use the HVAC system in any of my cars, regardless of weather... That's what windows and jackets are for

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    No heater core here, although I have only done one race weekend in the rain (doesn't rain too much out here). I didn't have a problem with fogging, but I have heard of people having issues. I think it can be remedied by a small fan, tubing from the trans tunnel, or even rainex applied to the inside.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    '98 M3 IS#718 & '09 128i
    I've an IS, and my heater core is in. I'd replace and keep it even if you can use shampoo on the windshield for fogging.

My Cars
    e36 Track Car
    Dawn.
    Regards, Nate.
    www.DriveFasterNow.com

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEAN View Post
    Dawn.
    Yeah, couldn't remember what people use. It usually only rains at Laguna for us out here.
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by 94is View Post
    Yeah, couldn't remember what people use. It usually only rains at Laguna for us out here.
    Works great on lexan too. I saw on the NASA channel several years ago, where some astronauts were preparing to go on an EVA, were talking about using it on the inside of the visor to keep it from fogging up.

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEAN View Post
    Dawn.
    +1 works great to prevent fogging without a heater core.

-Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '17 M240i

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    In your case/class I'd leave it.

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
    Have you purchased from them before? Any idea how much shipping might be for those? I may end up needing a windshield in the next 12 months to replace my original one.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I'm on the fence of just taking it out if there is a solution to the fogging. I never use A/C, I rarely use the front defroster (Most of the time I crack the window), and I never use heat... at all. My '83 320i had non functining heat and no A/C option and I drove that for a couple of years, didn't mind it at all. My M3 isn't a family car and I rarely give rides to others. So, I think I'm leaning towards eliminating the core completely.

My Cars
    Baur e30, Baur 1602, Bav
    I have pulled it and used the hook up area to connect in a Water pressure gauge. Since the Temp gauge has failed me before. But pressure can give me a mis reading..

The Rain X or treatments work fine for Anti Fogging.

My Cars
    '17 M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by 94is View Post
    Have you purchased from them before? Any idea how much shipping might be for those? I may end up needing a windshield in the next 12 months to replace my original one.
    I paid right around $770 a pop for three of them. This included everything: windscreens, shipping, currency exchange fees, wire transfer fees, customs clearing, mileage to/from my pickup point, etc. Customs clearing was stupidly expensive; I'm not sure how the outfit was chosen or if it could have been cheaper - I just accepted it as it came. If you PM me, I can give you a complete breakdown of my expenses.

Then, to make matters worse, my first screen wasn't installed properly, allowing it to crack vertically in the middle before I'd ever had a chance to use it. C'est la vie for race cars, right? Anyway, the second is in and, so far, everything is copacetic. The important thing is that they DO work; you just need to switch 'em on a few minutes before the fogging would ordinarily begin. Peter Carroll is probably a better source for real-world experience with these than am I.
    Last edited by dradernh; 01-13-2012 at 09:44 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Based on rule clarification 08-0020, it looks like I'm stuck with the heater core and A/C. Good thing I caught that. Looks like I'll be replacing then...

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Quote Originally Posted by RatedM3 View Post
    Based on rule clarification 08-0020, it looks like I'm stuck with the heater core and A/C. Good thing I caught that. Looks like I'll be replacing then...
    That rule clarification is no longer valid.

Page 38: "15. All heating and air conditioning components may be removed."

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Dammit, I keep missing that section.... Thank you.

My Cars
    '01 325, '89 325is ks car ;-)
    I always removed these to keep possible hot water spray out of the cockpit.
    Patrick Spikes

Guinness, not just for breakfast anymore

My Cars
    '97 M3/2/6 '01 996tt
    I run no heater core just a 3in blower

Rerouted the heater duct work for defrost

The new defrost plumbing to attach the 3in blower fan to.
    http://www.hardmotorsport.com http://Facebook.com/HardMotorsport

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Another solution:

http://dcthermal.com/catalog/12-volt-ducted-heaters.

Light, cheap and effective. And would seem to hookup easily to the existing ductwork.

--Peter

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Nice to know those exist. I haven't had any problem with fogging so far. One track day in February, the window iced up in the morning. A fellow driver kindly lent me his roll bar padding as he had no heater either.

Oh, and I survived the Summer of 2012 with no AC.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    If you want to continue to use a traditional heater core, just smaller and lighter, try one of these:

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?...index&cPath=65.

--Peter

My Cars
    E46 330 ZHP, E36 328i
    Mine is still in with no plans to take it out.
    Of course I'm still driving to the track so my situation is not standard.
    Here we get rain all the time during the summer and I like to have a way to remove fog from the windshield when I'm on the track and the road.

I never hear about this but I like to have the OEM system in if I ever need to cool the engine.

My Cars
    M3 x2, 911 Turbo x2, etc
    A bunch of us went with the heated windshields. Absolutely fantastic! The main problem is the shipping cost from the UK. However, shipping one is the same as shipping 5. So if you can convince a few friends, the cost gets a lot better. Ended up being something like $500?
    Peter Carroll - http://www.driversmeeting.com/pcarroll
    BMW Club Instructor & Club Racer, 1997 BMW M3 GTR #321
    2008, 2009, & 2011 BMW CCA National C-Mod Champion

Videos channels at:
    http://vimeo.com/pcarroll/videos
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pc270

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PCarroll View Post
    A bunch of us went with the heated windshields. Absolutely fantastic! The main problem is the shipping cost from the UK. However, shipping one is the same as shipping 5. So if you can convince a few friends, the cost gets a lot better. Ended up being something like $500?
    Yep. Spoke with Ricky Evans. Will be net unit cost of about $500 with a minimum of 8 (for an E39 M5). Working with some other crazies to see if I can patch together a purchase, but it's looking unlikely. The shipping costs really kills it. Is there no one in the states that does this???

--Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast