Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged E34 M60/M62's check in here

My Cars
    540 SC -89, Compact M60
    Quote Originally Posted by imae30driver View Post
    I wish the pulley for the crank was wider myself.
    You can make it 8 rib.

My M60b44 One mile speed was 271 Km/h (168mph). Not good because slipping clutch.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by 516SC View Post
    You can make it 8 rib.

My M60b44 One mile speed was 271 Km/h (168mph). Not good because slipping clutch.
    Can you go into more detail on how you can make it 8 rib?

My Cars
    540 SC -89, Compact M60
    IMG_7615.JPG You can make one rib more for both sides.

My Cars
    95' bmw 525it
    Quote Originally Posted by dme88 View Post
    Hi man! So you got a S/C kit at last!

Yeah, I've been running your old power dyne kit on a low milage e39 for two years until now, when the tensioner went bad. I'm less than a two hour drive from ESS headquarter, so I'm going there next week for a new one. Vortech is miles better than Powerdyne, but for these low boost application, it does not really matter. imho.

Really nice looking e34! Love those rims!
    Awesome! Sorry, barely come on here anymore. Mostly on the bfc e34 fb group now. I ended up selling the s/c kit hahaha. Too tame for my liking. I have turbo dreams. Building a 540it wagon and planning on a 100hp zex Nitrous kit for now until i get the turbo bits sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    bmw e30
    Hi does anyone have a powerdyne bd11a supercharger bracket for the m60 engine and the crank pulley. Looking for these asap

My Cars
    1989 325iC
    I am getting a lot of blow-by/excessive pressure in a new to me '95 Dinan 5 (exhaust, SC, tune).

What shall I do?

My Cars
    1995 540i/6 Calypso Red
    Picked up my 95 540i Dinan sc, chip, etc, just joined here, checking in from Fort Worth, TX

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 540i/6 Calypso Red
    Quote Originally Posted by aseanaero View Post
    I've been considering supercharging my 540/5 and found this thread interesting.

It seems there's no real bolt on solution and there's a lot of work to get the supercharger running properly which is part of the fun.

I've been building my 540 with the concept of having it 'supercharger ready' from the cooling system and exhaust point of view

Some of these modifications may help others be inspired to design something similar to solve cooling and exhaust problems they may be having

Cooling system

I'm in Jakarta Indonesia and according to Tom Tom we have the worst traffic in the World.

45 to 48 deg C road temps and lots of idling and low speed driving puts our cooling systems under stress.

I've spent 12 months solving the cooling problems on my 530i now M60B40

- custom aluminium radiator
    - electric puller fan (E34 auxiliary fan mounted behind the radiator)
    - double fan temp sensors from 318i (80/88 deg C) and E34 M5 (91/99)

Since the B40 went in the under bonnet temps skyrocketed causing some electrical and fuel line (went hard as a rock) and radiator hose failures (hoses bulging), water temps were ok and I've added some cooling vents to help the hot air escape.

If I did this again I would only do the 4 holes at the base of the windscreen.

The 540 runs cool now , around 90 to 95 deg water temp, water temp gauge is left tangent or right tangent to centre.

Under bonnet temps dropped from 90 deg C to 60 deg C

There's no electrical issues from the load of the extra fan , no more horrible fan noise and no risk of fan clutch lock up or fan explosions

Exhaust

Running stock headers at the moment as I like the twin wall design, this reduces heat in the engine bay.

A custom set of twin wall log headers may happen in the future or I will modify the original headers.

There's not much clearance down there.

Downstream of the headers as follows

- 4 x 2.25" 316 stainless steel pipes
    - feeding into a 2 x 4.25" NASCAR style Y pipe (mild steel oval pipes)
    - Empty stock centre muffler (to be replaced with a custom section)
    - 1 x 4.25" oval pipe to rear muffler
    - custom rear muffler

Behind the stainless pipes everything is 2mm mild steel.

This set up has moved stock peak power from 5,800rpm to 6,250rpm and the power curve is almost flat from 5,800rpm to 6,500rpm with a slight bump at 6,250rpm

Sounds nice too , this is still with the M60B30

I need to steal some pages out of your book, the compartment Temps are running my performance I think.
    And I need to steal the fan pages too, I don't like the power theft and risk of the fan in mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ///M5
    Different burb, lol. My friend's truck- he's away for a couple months so I've been rocking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    E36M3, E92M3
    Hey everyone,

Not a E34 but nobody has an SC on their E31 M60 so I figured I would post in here. Below are some pics of the Dinan SC kit.

IMG_0944 by JEllis, on Flickr

Modification to the original intake tubing and filter. The filter is difficult to get to below the headlight unit. I don't think the filter or intake tube were checked much because re-installing and realigning the unit can be a giant PITA

IMG_0942 by JEllis, on Flickr

IMG_0916 by JEllis, on Flickr

I have not had any issues with the Powerdyne unit other than the internal belt squeaking occasionally on start up when its cold outside. The SC is most likely due to for a refurb. However, I am keen on swapping it over for a Vortech unit. I was curious if anyone knows if I can use a VF or ESS bracket and simply bolt the Vortech unit in? I have heard that the bracket will need modification, probably due to the accessory drives being in different spot on the E31.

Anyways, enjoy the pics. Comments welcome.

Jason
    INSTAGRAM: jellismotorwerks

My Cars
    85 344i, 89 535i
    Would anyone with an m60 S/C bracket removed from the vehicle be able to trace an outline of it for me, with some measurements? I want to make a cardboard template and check fitment in my m62 e30, to see if it's even remotely possible to do it without hacking half the wheel well out.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i/5
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    The finished product!

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by xeler8 View Post
    I have not had any issues with the Powerdyne unit other than the internal belt squeaking occasionally on start up when its cold outside. The SC is most likely due to for a refurb. However, I am keen on swapping it over for a Vortech unit. I was curious if anyone knows if I can use a VF or ESS bracket and simply bolt the Vortech unit in? I have heard that the bracket will need modification, probably due to the accessory drives being in different spot on the E31.
    I've considered swapping my BD11 for a V1 or V3 as well. But rather than trying to source a bracket (as no one seems to want to part out a kit), I was thinking about getting this:

https://928motorsports.com/parts/vor...al_bracket.php

But its hard to justify for me, considering a vortech unit will cost more than i paid for the entire powerdyne kit

My Cars
    E36M3, E92M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer View Post
    I've considered swapping my BD11 for a V1 or V3 as well. But rather than trying to source a bracket (as no one seems to want to part out a kit), I was thinking about getting this:

But its hard to justify for me, considering a vortech unit will cost more than i paid for the entire powerdyne kit

True, and despite its reliability issues, the BD-11 flows a little better than a Vortech unit at these lower boost levels.
    INSTAGRAM: jellismotorwerks

My Cars
    4.9L 540i/Porsche 997
    Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer View Post

I have owned the bd11 and ugraded gera driven xb-1, and now a Vortech v2 h/d Ti. Get a Vortech.
    22RPD Tuning '95 540i/6 custom turbo mit Borg Warner S400sxe/Rebello Racing 4.9L M62/JE pistons/Arrow rods/custom cams/S62 crankshaft/Darton sleeved/Focal custom stereo
    Porsche 996 Turbo Evosport GT 700-[700hp]-my daily

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Hey guys! Im in the midst of installing a dinan kit on my 540 here in the Bay Area and have some questions!

1. Anyone in the area that would be willing to check out their car so I can see how it all goes together?
    2. Are the dinan injectors 32lb? Can I replace them with bosch 32lb for a mustang with the upgraded spray pattern?
    3. It seems dinan might have made two different kits for these cars, one for and auto and one for a stick. One with a BOV and one without? I dont have a hose coming off my supercharger inlet like the picture does I posted. Is this a difference in the powerdyne blower model?
    4. I am running a walbro 255 single pump in the tank, will that be enough??no bov.jpgwith a bov.jpg
    1995 540i/6 - TheSmokingTire One Take car

UUC LW flywheel/Carbon Clutch, Dinan 3.64 lsd, e60 shifter, vac pulleys, 23lb injectors, Walbro pump, Vac pulleys, DUDMD tune, 200 cell race cats, muffler delete, poly bushings throughout, custom valed billy sports with HR springs, e31 brembo's, F+R strut bars

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by tgriffith009 View Post
    Hey guys! Im in the midst of installing a dinan kit on my 540 here in the Bay Area and have some questions!

1. Anyone in the area that would be willing to check out their car so I can see how it all goes together?
    2. Are the dinan injectors 32lb? Can I replace them with bosch 32lb for a mustang with the upgraded spray pattern?
    3. It seems dinan might have made two different kits for these cars, one for and auto and one for a stick. One with a BOV and one without? I dont have a hose coming off my supercharger inlet like the picture does I posted. Is this a difference in the powerdyne blower model?
    4. I am running a walbro 255 single pump in the tank, will that be enough??no bov.jpgwith a bov.jpg

2. The kit uses Lucas 32lb injectors. These in fact:
    http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...1720xx&eq=&Tp=
    Pay attention to the flow rate at the specific pressure. That link doesnt seem to specify the pressure at which the flow rate is specified. May want to shoot them a message. So long as the the bosch injectors you plan to use are close/same, then i dont see why they wouldnt work, but dont take my word for it. I wouldnt be swapping them unless you are having issues. Even still, the tune it made for them, so at the most i would send them away for a cleaning and flow match.

4. yes, it will be plenty good.
    -Alex

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    The next few days are pretty exciting. Pretty well redesigning the ESS supercharger kit to rectify its faults and upgrade / improve it to produce more power and more consistency.

After no activity since October 2015 the e34 is about to come back to life. Pretty well everything needed some sort of fixing. The stuff I can remember;

• Crank angle sensor replaced
    • All 8x Chinese coils replaced
    • Bellmouths refined to manifold as 5 of them were floating around like tattslotto balls in the plenum cavity
    • New gasket and correct sealing of intake manifold
    • Fitting new starter motor with reinstalling missing heat shields
    • Adjusting clutch pedal so height is same as brake
    • Installing a new catch can with drain directly to sump
    • Totally redesigning the supercharger bracket to bring the vortech closer to the engine
    • Replacing the extremely poor intake duct and relocating the maf sensor to the pressurised side
    • Adding a plumbed back blow off valve with a slave solenoid activated by a Hobbs adjustable (4-7psi) pressure switch. This will hold 4psi of boost in the system at light throttle.
    • Removing the old pulley (locktited on!!) with slightly smaller dia for a small amount of extra boost
    • Installing a 450x300 front mounted air/air intercooler (supposed to be impossible on e34) with redirected plumbing
    • Delete traction control
    • Redirect main intake for the engine to the passenger side
    • Relocate power steering cooler to where kidney grilles are
    • Drilled sump and tapped for 1/2"bsb for drain back from catch can
    • Painted rocker covers wrinkle black.
    • Adding the all important boost gauge and wideband sensor with air/fuel gauge
    • Oil & filter change
    • Adjusting oil pump chain and tigening loose bolts
    • New fuel pump hoses
    • New 3 spoke airbag steering wheel

I'm just tired thinking of it.

We may need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and dfi maf fuel trimmer to get the fuel mapping perfect and omg the exhaust. Someone had built the front system nicely in 2 1/4 dual pipes with nice x pipe but after the centre muffler they have gone to a single 2 1/4 (visually I thought it was 3" but no" so I need to finish off in dual 2 1/4 as a single won't do much for the power output on a boosted 4ltr v8. The tail pipe is more suitable for my 2002!

These improvements will be orsome and with 4psi boosted all the time when it allows, part throttle will be great as well. Boost will probably end up around 6-7 psi. To go much more it will need a standalone ecu and a more serious fuel system. I already have 8x 60 lb/hr injectors on stand by.

Last edited by GazM3; 03-28-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Hey guys what is everyone running as an electric fan conversion? Cars running a stock dinan bd11a kit and stock radiator currently. Will be swapping to an e36 m3 I think.
    1995 540i/6 - TheSmokingTire One Take car

UUC LW flywheel/Carbon Clutch, Dinan 3.64 lsd, e60 shifter, vac pulleys, 23lb injectors, Walbro pump, Vac pulleys, DUDMD tune, 200 cell race cats, muffler delete, poly bushings throughout, custom valed billy sports with HR springs, e31 brembo's, F+R strut bars

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    check out my volvo fan on mishimoto e36 m3 rad here:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Fan-Conversion
    -Alex

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Working on this for another member, will definitely be looking at doing a few other bits to go along with the PCV delete plates and the Provent 200 setup for you M60 guys.

M60_Crank_Pulley_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

-Greg
    Last edited by 93FIM5; 04-07-2017 at 12:23 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540/6 Calypsorot
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Working on this for another member, will definitely be looking at doing a few other bits to go along with the PCV delete plates and the Provent 200 setup for you M60 guys.

-Greg
    YES!! You rock, Greg.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post

-Greg
    Thats awesome man!! That was probably the hardest part to get my hands on when i built my setup. I ended up with one from Dinan for the m62. It wasnt easy to get. Lots of phone calls and emails back and forth. I recall it not being terribly expensive which was surprising. If you design a basic bracket that fits a vortech blower, you are in business. Problem being that you almost have to incorporate the passenger engine mount if you want to keep AC.
    Last edited by AHenry014; 04-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by UnrulyGrace View Post
    YES!! You rock, Greg.
    Have to admit I'm pretty excited about doing stuff for the M60, its a bit of a hot mess compared to the S38 but has great potential!

Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    Thats awesome man!! That was probably the hardest part to get my hands on when i built my setup. I ended up with one from Dinan for the m62. It wasnt easy to get. Lots of phone calls and emails back and forth. I recall it not being terribly expensive which was surprising. If you design a basic bracket that fits a vortech blower, you are in business. Problem being that you almost have to incorporate the passenger engine mount if you want to keep AC.
    Was thinking about a couple bracket options for people, thinking vortech and maybe an ASA. Good to know about the AC issue, will definitely keep your advice in mind. Also been working on a intercooler that will be a bolt in along with an oil cooler. Lots of fun stuff in the pipe!

-Greg

My Cars
    85 344i, 89 535i
    Awesome!

I want to S/C my m60b44 e30, but I know 75% of the e34 kit won't work. So having the option to buy just a bracket and pulley would be awesome! Preferably keeping the S/C as close as physically possible to the engine
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i/5
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    The finished product!

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    It's only a few days away before a big 4000km round trip to the BMW nationals. Just getting into the tuning now. The oem maf runs out of resolution at about 4500 with no resistors. So armed with some resistors we will see at the point where the maf is ok and then tune the fuel for it with the DFA. We will need to use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator as the 36 lb/hr injectors will be to small at 3.5bar. Also had to "borrow" my bosch 044 pump from the m635 as the in tank warbro will be short at 500bhp or so.

It drives orsome to about 4500. Hope by the end of Sunday it drives orsome or 7000rpm
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast