Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercharged E34 M60/M62's check in here

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    apparenty, according to vortech, you dont need it unless your above 5psi. i put mine in bc i knew id be there very quickly. haha!
    -Alex

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I would recommend a BOV, even at low boost just for reliability of the blower. Imagine going all out to redline/near redline, and then suddenly releasing the throttle. Leaving the car in gear, the blower is still spinning at the same RPM moving the same amount of air against a closed throttle body. It then has to find a way to backtrack through the blower the wrong way to relieve the pressure. Possibly damaging bearings/shaft/wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    mhm, a friend of mine has this on his turbo m50. thats the only tial i know. if thats the case, im curious how he fenagled that into his tune. i feel like they might come in recirc config as well....
    edit: like so
    http://www.tialmedia.com/NH/QR2.jpg
    but from his pic it looks like atmospheric.

updating mine with pics now. wasnt proud of the original done ones. these are okay.
    The pic you provided is for a recirculated setup, you can of course vent to the atmosphere, too if you don't want to hook up the hose.
    Your friend, did he have a blow through MAF setup, or the draw through MAF? You can only vent to the atmosphere on the blow through, before the maf.
    Last edited by DUDMD; 01-12-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    BMW E30 E36 E34 E39 E38

found an older picture of the dinan kit with a recirc valve on another car. it appears the recirc valve was only used for kits made for automatic cars. can't confirm though. anyone know what the specs are for the valve? i may end up just going this route since its already proven to work with this kit.
    Last edited by toyotahachiroku; 01-12-2012 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by DUDMD View Post
    I would recommend a BOV, even at low boost just for reliability of the blower. Imagine going all out to redline/near redline, and then suddenly releasing the throttle. Leaving the car in gear, the blower is still spinning at the same RPM moving the same amount of air against a closed throttle body. It then has to find a way to backtrack through the blower the wrong way to relieve the pressure. Possibly damaging bearings/shaft/wheel.

The pic you provided is for a recirculated setup, you can of course vent to the atmosphere, too if you don't want to hook up the hose.
    Your friend, did he have a blow through MAF setup, or the draw through MAF? You can only vent to the atmosphere on the blow through, before the maf.
    right, since your misplacing a bunch of calculated air. its blow through. i was just curious since hes running draw through, how his tune calculated for the misplaced air of a vented air.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotahachiroku View Post

found an older picture of the dinan kit with a recirc valve on another car. it appears the recirc valve was only used for kits made for automatic cars. can't confirm though. anyone know what the specs are for the valve? i may end up just going this route since its already proven to work with this kit.
    id install one if i were you. im getting slight surging (which is what DUD is explaining to you) on high boost throttle closing. i may be adding another for good measure.
    that recirc valve, more commonly known as a diverter valve (DV) came stock on saab turbos, volvo turbos, vw turbos, bmw turbo cars, etc. the valve is made by bosch, and its pretty inexpensive new, like 40 bucks or less depending on where you look. forge, among others, make great replacements that are rebuildable.
    usually, blow off valve vents to atmosphere, and diverter valve/bypass valve, is recirculated. but you can get recircable blow off valves that function the same way as a recric valve. the names make things confusing lol.
    http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Diverter_Valve/
    Last edited by AHenry014; 01-13-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Alex

My Cars
    '96 540i S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    awesome thread is awesome.

Car: 94 530it with b40/6spd
    Engine: stock m60
    Supercharger kit or custom: custom
    Blower model: v2
    Tune: miller base
    Injectors: 32# lucas
    MAF: stock with resistor (audio potentiometer for now, till i get it dialed)
    Intercooling: small little guy, but he does help. can definitely notice it on cold nights.
    Boost level: ~8psi im guessing
    Diff: 3.23lsd medium case
    clutch: stock, holding for now.
    Issues: a bunch, see below
    Dyno: none
    1/4 mile: none

I DD this car about 50 miles a day so it needs to be reliable.
    Custom as in DIY bracket and tensioner?
    [E39 540i] - with S/C ESS kit (plus some upgrades)
    [E34 540iA] - Gone

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    yes and yes.
    -Alex

My Cars
    63 65 67 72 77 87 90 90
    You need a bov, I ran without one for a short bit and I had intake piping problems. Plus it was not behaving very well on decel and boost was not building as well since there was a confliction with vac/boost relations. The Dinan kit, which came off an automatic car, had no bov, not good esp. for manual car.

My bov is recirculated, it has been worse on idle since I hooked the rcv up. Haven't had piping problems since tho. Working on changing that, hopefully Monday when my 60 injectors show up. I said "hopeful".....

To clarify exhaust question, it comes off headers to 3" and goes back till it had to be y'd in at the last moment for the single Magniflow.

Marching forward at a "snails" pace.
    lol

Daily driving anything fast, since I could afford gas...
    Check the selection @ http://evolone38.com

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Mike - How do you like the WAR chip?
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOLONE38 View Post
    You need a bov, I ran without one for a short bit and I had intake piping problems. Plus it was not behaving very well on decel and boost was not building as well since there was a confliction with vac/boost relations. The Dinan kit, which came off an automatic car, had no bov, not good esp. for manual car.

My bov is recirculated, it has been worse on idle since I hooked the rcv up. Haven't had piping problems since tho. Working on changing that, hopefully Monday when my 60 injectors show up. I said "hopeful".....

To clarify exhaust question, it comes off headers to 3" and goes back till it had to be y'd in at the last moment for the single Magniflow.

Marching forward at a "snails" pace.
    lol
    im having some decel issues as well. it wont stay full lean, it will try to load up and kind of just coasts at stoich. its odd. im not sure my DV is large enough....
    but anywho, i put the new belt on last night (running 8 rib) with my new routing and its MUCH better. zero belt slip now and im getting less maf cut now for some reason. but its still happening. guess ill add resistors till it stops, then tune the rest of the map.

would like your tune if youve done some tweeking to it with brody. if you dont mind of course shoot me a PM
    Last edited by AHenry014; 01-13-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    63 65 67 72 77 87 90 90
    Quote Originally Posted by E34nication View Post
    Mike - How do you like the WAR chip?
    Well, so far it has improved my car but, time will tell whether or not I end up going to a standalone. So far it is a love/hate relationship since it is a locked parameter tuning setup. My buddy/tuner is very familiar with Diablo software and is frustrated with the lack of parameters that are adjustable with the Miller. We are not able to scale individually and flip the mapping, etc.... But for the money, I am not bitching and Brodie has been cool. Not that my setup is an everyday occurance. A drive by wire engine converted to a cable, swapped to obd1 and then s/c'd from an auto car. I know I chose an easy route......

AHenry014:
    I will share when I have knowledge.... Brodie will have my tunes shortly when Den comes through. I gave him the Dinan tune originally and told him I would share developments.
    Last edited by EVOLONE38; 01-14-2012 at 02:07 AM.

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    ok great thanks dude. and same, i wish there were more tuning options as well. but you take what you can get with these cars. the only other quote i got for tuning it was 1500 for a piggyback. i think ill take my chances with a war chip for now and see maybe later is someone wants to tweek the war chip for me on a dyno. one thing that drives me nuts is not being able to adjust fuel injector sizes with the click of a button. on a friends m50tu car (which im sure they have a ton of time into figuring out FI), theres a tab where you can physically select an injector size. we took a stock m50 tune, hit the 30# button, and she started right up (turbo m50 with 30# injectors). then we just messed with that tune. since hes moved onto the blow through stuff and 60#ers. but why cant all the .ecu's incorperate that? bc id like to take a stock tune and try tinkering with that. but i have no clue how to tune for the 32lbers off a stock tune.
    Last edited by AHenry014; 01-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    quick question. would you guys think id need to flow more air in off and part throttle? say adding another diverter valve.

saw two diverter valves on another vortech car, and didnt really understand why there were two valves. but some of my issues could be attributed to the single valve not being able to bypass enough air, and the rest of it being forced into the intake via the idle control valve.

any ideas? i might just add one for shyts. since i have another crappy plastic one around, would just need tubing to weld on. i just dont want to make the intake pipe any uglier.
    -Alex

My Cars
    1995 540/6 1990 535/5
    Is it worth trying to piece together a kit or should i find a complete used one? Was looking into boosting my car this spring

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    depends on how crafty you are. mines the only "custom" kit in this thread for a reason (not trying to toot my own horn here). the bracket isnt (wasnt) easy to make. nor is it cheap to buy from one of the companies that make these kits. buy their bracket, youll need the charger that brackets built for (powerdyne for e34 dinan kits, and vortech for e39 dinan kits and e34 ess kits, etc) and youll need their crank pulley to correspond for alignment. do that and youll have to use that brackets tensioner system. then we get into tuning.....

its a whole lot easier to buy a kit, but not cheap. the only thing i bought that was made for a bmw v8 supercharger kit was the dinan crank pulley. (pretty cheap at ~200 bucks)

but hey, if your handy, have metal fab skills (and friends to help, thanks mike !!), and a bunch of time, then go for it. its very satisfactory to start the car after getting everything bolted up and the charger on there.
    Last edited by AHenry014; 01-16-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    -Alex

My Cars
    63 65 67 72 77 87 90 90
    Installed #60 injectors today, Started and ran with no leaks, Yeah! Tomorrow Den from Miller is coming over for a tuning session. I am hoping to get the driveability problem figured out and have the fuel scaling mapped different. It is POURING rain so topend is out of the question, but, if He can get the tune proper for idle and part throttle I will have surmounted the proverbial: pita.

At least I have a shop to stay dry, that is a must have around these parts...lol
    Well for that matter, everyone should have one.

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Very nice... changing injectors on the m60 annoys the hell out of me. 60#'s ... that's a lot of injector. How much boost you plan on running?

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    1995 540/6 1990 535/5
    What are the tuning options anyhow. . I have a full machine shop, cnc machine, and a superflow at my disposal. Tuning would be Miller software or war chip for a 404 dme? id have to swap to that ecu i believe. Just found out my buddy has a powerdyne laying around need to find out what model it is I guess and look into the brackets.
    Last edited by orangeamcs1; 01-19-2012 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    63 65 67 72 77 87 90 90
    Very nice... changing injectors on the m60 annoys the hell out of me. 60#'s ... that's a lot of injector. How much boost you plan on running?
    I am pulling up 5lb but want to go to 7. Then who knows...
    Doing the injectors wasn't horrible, I think I can do it fairly quickly now I have had practice..not that I look forward to it since, I have installed big ones to grow on now.

Dan came by today and did a tune for my injectors and whatnot. Nice guy, getting a new maf from him and building a new intake setup that will facilitate the driveability/turbulence that he was seeing. Well the fabbing of the new intake will probably start next week, got to get the new tune downloaded into the car this weekend so I can give her a test drive. The maf scaling is off, but it will run alright until I get the new one welded in.

This is what He rolled up in.

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    Definitely an interesting e30. Boosted i assume?

I'd be interested to see what kind of intake he comes up with. Car running a lot better after the tune?

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    curious about the intake he comes up with as well.

tonight im fixing my belt alignment (it ate up two belts recently) so i can go play in the snow tonight/tomorrow morning. cant wait.
    -Alex

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    curious about the intake he comes up with as well.

tonight im fixing my belt alignment (it ate up two belts recently) so i can go play in the snow tonight/tomorrow morning. cant wait.
    -Alex

My Cars
    63 65 67 72 77 87 90 90
    Definitely an interesting e30. Boosted i assume?

I'd be interested to see what kind of intake he comes up with. Car running a lot better after the tune?
    The e30 is a N/A motor swapped M52.

I am getting the their turbo MAF installed into a 3.5 aluminum pipe incorporated into the new piping my buddy is going to fab up. It is all heading towards an intercooler, just not yet. Thinking of either maf after blower but, must figure a way of getting enough distance between the maf and blower. OR, I must change the bov to a full recirc setup to help with driveability since it is metering air that is not used after the bov pops. More work means more power, right?

Car cannot be started until I get the new setup loaded onto the chip since he was hardlined right to my ecu. He was running it with his laptop hooked up so, it runs just not with the chip in it yet. He thought it sounded nasty tho..
    and the fireballs out the back always makes you

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    thats cool, he was using an emulator huh?
    -Alex

My Cars
    E34 540/6T Supercharged
    A few fields missing below, I need to speak to the tuner who built it for more info.

Car: 94 540/6 Touring
    Engine: stock m60
    Supercharger kit or custom: Ray West Tuning
    Blower model: v2
    Tune: ESS ????
    Injectors: ????
    MAF: ????
    Intercooling: none
    Boost level: 7lbs (not verified )
    Diff: 3.91lsd but soon to be 3.15lsd
    Issues: hoses need replacing, intake leaks and it blows a hose off at high revs
    Dyno: none yet
    1/4 mile: don't know

It's running a std clutch but a solid flywheel which needs lightening and balancing. I absolutely love it, it justs needs to stop blowing the hoses off!

My Cars
    63 65 67 72 77 87 90 90
    I fell your pain about blowing hose off..... Fixed it tho.
    You need a BOV and maybe bigger clamps.
    Last edited by EVOLONE38; 01-22-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast