Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged E34 M60/M62's check in here

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    Wish I had a local with a supercharged 540i, it would be fun to build a water to air intercooler setup for you guys.

-Greg

I wish you were local to me! Maybe I could finally get this thing running again.
    (it's been in the shop for over a year)
    Last edited by gixxerboy63; 07-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Gone but not forgotten:
    '95 540i/6 M-Sport. GA65474. Alpineweiss/Parchment.
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    I just have completed a nearly 2000mile round trip and the car has run faultlessly. There's a decent oil leak somewhere I need to find and fix. I've lost some fuel economy with the gapped down 1 range colder plugs. About 10%. But I have good consistent power and no high rpm ignition breakdown.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Just wanted to clarify on our new mustang dyno at 034 Motorsport.

1. Lower hp numbers - true. My 540 dyno'd 242hp on the old dyno, now puts down 223hp on the mustang. It's roughly an 18% difference and we've confirmed that with pretty much every car we've had on both dynos.

We just took our time attack A4 to two other mustang dynos in the bay area on the same day. Our dyno was 380awhp, one of the other two was similar and the 3rd was about 340awhp. Ill have to get the name of the two shops we went to. Just confirms what's always been known as true, mustangs are heart breakers.

2. RWD cars are limited to 450whp - true
    it's an AWD dyno with only one eddy current on the front rollers. The rear rollers have to drive a belt to drive the front rollers. This is our limiting factor for RWD cars. I hope that sometime in the future they will purchase a second eddy current for the rear rollers.

3. We no longer tune BMWs - true
    Our tuner doesn't like BMWs, sucks for me too. Im running a DUDMD chip and he's been able to make some tweaks for me by showing him my graphs and shipping the chip back and forth.

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
    I wish you were local to me! Maybe I could finally get this thing running again.
    (it's been in the shop for over a year)
    PM me if you get a chance.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    I've just got access to a war chip but it's out of a m50 e36 obd1. It should fit it the 404ecu in my car.
    The old owner if the car had a war chip and 9psi pulley (and dyno tuned map which I can get) but removed it as the belt slip was am issue and it was too powerful (over 400rwhp). I'll probably leave it with the 7psi pulley until I install water injecton or intercooler. Ill most likely upgrade to an 8rib or even 10rib pulley setup also to eliminate any belt slip.

Anyway with The war chip I should be able to get smoother drivability and take advantage of our 93mon (98ron) fuel we have here.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Quote Originally Posted by 93FIM5 View Post
    PM me if you get a chance.
    Thanks! Will talk soon.

Well, my car is finally on a schedule now. The supercharger, intercooler and intake has been final fitted and plumbed. As of right now, everything has been pulled back off so that the inner fender can be properly reshaped to fit the contour of the new Procharger. While everything is apart, the components and plumbing are being polished or powdercoated. Once cosmetics are complete, the components will be re-installed, torqued and safety wired...

Then off to the dyno we go!

Target Completion date is the end of the month (just barely in time for Bimmerfest East?)

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Some Procharger pictorial updates:
    Final fit of supercharger and plumbing...

Fenderwell has to be reshaped (for the 2nd time) to allow enough room for the Procharger. T
    his will have to be finished and sprayed again.

(Notice the substantial brackets and pulleys)

SC Tucked in nicely.
    (Very tight clearances everywhere).

Passenger side hood support has been eliminated and fender has been cut away to allow for tubing

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    blk 740i/ 325is - 95's
    Some Procharger pictorial updates:
    Final fit of supercharger and plumbing...

Fenderwell has to be reshaped (for the 2nd time) to allow enough room for the Procharger. T
    his will have to be finished and sprayed again.

(Notice the substantial brackets and pulleys)

SC Tucked in nicely.
    (Very tight clearances everywhere).

Passenger side hood support has been eliminated and fender has been cut away to allow for tubing
    Now if you would just send a list of all that id need to buy and duplicate all the custom components you made for this and send me them you would be my best friend and i could do this too! Hahaha
    1995 540i /6 speed, Black on black, VF m62 S/C kit v3 6psi - Cold air intake/ SSSquid Tune/racing exhuast, Vortech 8:1 RRFPR ,545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro seats, N2O, M/T drag slicks
    "Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
    R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
    ...very tight clearances everywhere.
    No kidding! Are you just going to have a direct intake filter clamped to the SC intake? Doesn't look like there's enough room for any intake plumbing.

Also, curious, are you not going to run any fan for your radiator? Do you know what kind of radiator is it?

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Quote Originally Posted by Flug540 View Post
    No kidding! Are you just going to have a direct intake filter clamped to the SC intake? Doesn't look like there's enough room for any intake plumbing.

Also, curious, are you not going to run any fan for your radiator? Do you know what kind of radiator is it?
    The inlet will be routed underneath the supercharger. (There is more space available underneath than what you are able to see in the photos). I also have an electric fan neatly hidden in front of the radiator.

This photo shows the location of the intercooler mounted on top of the radiator:

Last edited by gixxerboy63; 07-27-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    First Look!
    Everything is buttoned up for now.... We are going to start tuning tomorrow!

- - - Updated - - -

....First start up.

http://youtu.be/ipzw2xG1bmA

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    That's some crazy pulley action. Is it just to prevent/minimize belt slip? Interesting MAF location, but where is your DV dumping to? If there isn't any room between the MAF and the blower, then wouldn't you be dumping before the MAF, so your recirc'ed air gets read twice?

My Cars
    93 M5 88 M3 14 i3
    Thinking on things. . .

-Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Looking good. It's going to make some serious grunt. Like the neat cutout for the pipe work and ditto on the maf location. It might be ok but being so close to the inlet to the blower there may be alot if turbulent air going on and my experamce with inlets on centrifugal pumps/fans is air can be very fast on the perimeter of the inlet and very slow at the centre. Also with that bigaf sensor housing it will create turbulence just before the intake.

As i said it may not be an issue but if it was my car I'd move it fuehrer downstream
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Sorry Bruin, wasn't trying to ignore you.... just wrapped up in other things at the moment and slow to respond.
    You are correct sir; The pulley system is designed to prevent/minimize belt slip that always seems to be an issue when supercharging. The BOV is located behind the headlight basket before the charged are reaches the intercooler, so it is dumping after the MAF.

GAZ... Sneed Speed has done a lot of R&D with this car and they are perfectionists (this is why they have had my car for a year and a half!)... I trust that any issues will be examined, corrected and perfected before they release it back to me.

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Good to see some activity on this thread. Mine has been off the road for a month just fixing all the little issues as I have to make it pass inspection so it can be regostered for road use in my name.
    So far done the following.
    - Repalced heater valve
    - water pump
    - master and slave cylinder
    - windscreen
    - leaky may seal (what an effort reqd to crack the harmonic damper nut)
    - upgraded balancer bolts
    - removed that poorly fitted touchscreen for proper OEM console
    - adjusted brake pedal height so same as clutch and for easier throttle blipping downshifts
    - slighly cut front bumpstops

I'm planning to fit a water/air Intercooler shortly then either install the warchip I have and up the boost or just up tey boost 1 pulley size and tore the wideband sensor on it to ensure mixtures are good

Alao planning to re-dye the interior the light silver grey (seats console and power trim) rather than the dark grey. I have also on order from schmiedmann an upper front brace as it had made a big difference in ithwr bmw's I have installed one on. I better start my own thread soon. Been to lazy

alai
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    No worries Tim, life can really pile it on us all the time. Hard to tell from that pic, but isn't that a recirculated setup? So the air is being read twice by the MAF? Or, if it vents to the atmosphere, wouldn't it be running rich whenever you're not on the throttle?

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    Has anyone else besides janders successfully added a resistor to the stock MAF (claimed 2.1kohm)? Just seemed like a cheaper option to me than a $150 803 MAF. Plus, with the 803, there's some wiring modification that I can't find any details on, and I can't find the TMS adapter I heard about for the 803 MAF.

I know the 803 MAF is a better part, but I'm not sure what direction I want to go yet, so I'm trying to just replicate Dinan's resistor for cheap, just to get everything to work. Doesn't need to be the fastest out there... yet.

Learned what I could from here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ercharged-540i

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    I'm pretty sure we're using a stock MAF. Unfortunately, I don't have all the details because Sneed Speed has been in charge of the build....

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    I need headers... anyone have any leads?

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    Try supersprint headers. They are expensive. There is a company locally called "Motorsport down under" that list a set but they are rediculusiy expensive at aud5000
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    540i/6 M-sport GA65474
    Quote Originally Posted by GazM3 View Post
    Try supersprint headers. They are expensive. There is a company locally called "Motorsport down under" that list a set but they are rediculusiy expensive at aud5000
    Thanks Gaz... M540fella sent me this link as well;
    http://www.motorsportsdownunder.com/catalog/i11.html
    At the very bottom of the page, the price has been slashed to AUD2000...
    (sent them an email earlier this morning about a LHD availability).

I have hit a wall tuning the M60. We can't get any more power out of it until we start changing other things. If I continue with these other things, I will have a powerful 4.0, but at the end of the day, it will still be a 4.0... I'm thinking that the money would be better spent on more displacement. This may be the time to think about the S62, unless I can figure out a better option with an m60/m62 hybrid.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by gixxerboy63; 10-21-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Gone but not forgotten:
    Supercharger project

My Cars
    E34 MSport
    I wouldn't bother with them... That's a lot of money to send overseas that you may not get back or get your money's worth.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=844648

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...australia.html

There's probably more experiences like this.

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    It's hard to know when to stop and just enjoy it. The other issue is u have a standard engine which is pretty happy with the the power level but If u keep pushing and pushing u will find the point where the returns are diminished. Headers will make a big difference for sure and so will extra displacement.

Where I'd be spending the money is on a good aftermarket engine computer as the std maf based one (with the factory maf) will be a restriction that u have to tune around. If you have pump e85 with am aftermarket computer and a flex fuel sensor u could use more boost and then have it bleed off via adjustable vaccum on a waste gate so when running pump fuel your boost is lower.

This is is exactly how I'm setting up my M3.

The other way is just to enjoy what u have. There is some one else with more money that will always have a faster car but I'm guessing with 450+bhp it would be a rocket and the e34 chassis would still cope fairly well with it. He'll at the moment with the basic ess kit mine makes about 340rwhp which is still heaps of fun. Once I get off my backside and Intercool it and go a few extra psi it will prob make 370-400rwhp which will be heaps for my daily runabout.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    97 Z3 2.8

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Thanks Gaz... M540fella sent me this link as well;
    http://www.motorsportsdownunder.com/catalog/i11.html
    At the very bottom of the page, the price has been slashed to AUD2000...
    (sent them an email earlier this morning about a LHD availability).

I have hit a wall tuning the M60. We can't get any more power out of it until we start changing other things. If I continue with these other things, I will have a powerful 4.0, but at the end of the day, it will still be a 4.0... I'm thinking that the money would be better spent on more displacement. This may be the time to think about the S62, unless I can figure out a better option with an m60/m62 hybrid.

Thoughts?
    I went with a fully built M62 with S62 crankshaft. Even under no boost, the engine is a torque beast and fun as hell to drive. Also, I believe the M60/62 is better for forced induction than the S62. It has more meat between the pistons and single throttle body instead of multi ones. As far as tuning, stay with your stock DME/chip. RK Tunes flew out to tune my car on my old Dinan chip and my 540i has 540 rwhp for now at 12 psi. But I have more fun with the down low torque.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BruinBimmer View Post
    I wouldn't bother with them... That's a lot of money to send overseas that you may not get back or get your money's worth.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=844648

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...australia.html

There's probably more experiences like this.
    Thanks for the heads up. I was actually thinking of geting those headers, but not now.
    Last edited by BigM62; 10-21-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast