Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 3rd type of V8 intake manifold

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    So for the record all m60's have this? I just ordered an m60 because m62 are way harder to find so i guess i bought the right one.

And what about the difference in throttle body offset? I see throttle body spacers that claim to increase torque through turbulence.
    Last edited by topaz540i; 01-11-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    '00 540i, '89 Iroc
    One thing that should be cautioned against of course when doing any mods to an engine is this: All parts of the system must be complementary to one another. An Engine is nothing more than an airpump. That airpump cannot hold any more air than the cylinders allow, nor can it expel any more combusted gasses than what was in the cylinders to begin with (for simplicity's sake, lets assume the exhaust gasses haven't expanded due to a sharp rise in temperature duting combustion). So, with that said, simply installing an intake manifold that flows more air will not increase the power your car makes, UNLESS the manifold you're replacing was a restriction to begin with. One needs to understand that the shifting of the powerband up or down is a tradeoff as the "area" (everyone remembers doing those calculations right?) "under the power curve" stays relatively the same. That said, you can see how asking how much more power will "xxx" mod get me is a moot point.

When you start to put together combinations of supporting mods like Intake manifold, cam shaft, torque convertor, and exhaust, thats where you can finally start asking the question, "How much power will this set of mods net me?"

Anyway... Doing just the intake manifold will result in a feeling of the car being faster because you lost some power midrange ( - ) and gained roughly the same amount of power on the top end ( + ). -10 + 10 = 0 net gain. Start doing supporting/complementary mods and thats where the power starts to go from net gain of 0 to net gain of 20, 30, 40hp.

/soapbox

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Already done did. This is the last bolt on left before software.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    '00 540i, '89 Iroc
    Cool, what have you done?? I'm pretty new to BMW stuff obviously but the conceptual stuff is all the same. I haven't even looked into if you can get aftermarket camshafts yet (not that I'd want to buy 4 of them... yikes, one is bad enough).

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    The only 540 parts you will find are:
    Catback exhaust
    Performance intake filter- i recommend afe brand
    M60 intake manifold swap
    People willing to pull the engine can do m60 exhaust headers but that seems rare to do
    Performance software upgrade after the bolt on stuff
    And under drive pulleys

I havent seen much else.

I have 3" cat back with midsection resonator delete, a.f.e . Filter, about to do m60 intake manifold and them software in the future.

One of the best mods is to delete the clutch line cdv and get a 545 short shifter and royal purplesynchromax fluid in the trans. Its like shifting a whole new car after that. No more jerky 1-2 shifts. Kinda feels more like a race car with those shifter mods.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    So when at you going to drop some 3.15 gears into it? That will wake it up.

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev
    So when at you going to drop some 3.15 gears into it? That will wake it up.
    I like my long gears but I do want LSD.
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Although i find first pretty useless most of the time i do wish i had tighter gears. Especially some lsd to drop.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by xatlas0 View Post
    Nah, they were removed due to cost. The M62 is the beancounter-cut version of the M60, hence the timing hardware changes, the intake manifold changes, the exhaust manifold changes, FI system changes, auto trans changes, etc. All those items were reduced in quality on the M62 compared to the M60 parts.

Let me put it this way: every M-engine uses velocity stacks, from the M88 to the S85. They are an important part of advanced intake manifold design, as they help prevent flow necking down the runner, which helps keep the flow profile steady, reducing flow friction losses. They are very much a good thing.

The intake manifold set is not new information, at least among the E34 guys. It has been known for quite some time that the performance goes in this sequence: M60>M62>M62TU.
    So it would be a further upgrade tp go to the M60 manifold from the NVM62 manifold? my only concern is the lack of distance between the runners. THe M62tu manifold has almost twice the space of the M60
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    The only 540 parts you will find are:
    People willing to pull the engine can do m60 exhaust headers but that seems rare to do
    What do you mean by this? Are you saying the M60 exhaust manifolds flow better than the M62B44/M62TU ?

I have both in the garage (m60b40 engine + e39 manifolds) for my project, and from first glance one would think the B44/TU would flow better...
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    B8.5 Audi S4, R320 cdi
    i'm gonna sub to this thread... interesting discussion going on here

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 84318i

What do you mean by this? Are you saying the M60 exhaust manifolds flow better than the M62B44/M62TU ?

I have both in the garage (m60b40 engine + e39 manifolds) for my project, and from first glance one would think the B44/TU would flow better...
    Not with those precats in there. And I'm pretty sure the diameter is bigger

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman View Post
    So it would be a further upgrade tp go to the M60 manifold from the NVM62 manifold? my only concern is the lack of distance between the runners. THe M62tu manifold has almost twice the space of the M60
    Dinan's "High Performance Intake Manifold" for the M62 and M62TU was just the M60 manifold. You will probably lose some bottom-end, but you will gain in the top end without a tune.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    I have not done it myself but there was a thread or two with someone that did. He said the non vanos are bigger diameter. I believe obx also makes a performance set for the 740 that are basically m60 clones. I havent done it so dont quote me on it.
    I will see if i can find the thread. It was someone about a russian guy in california spent the day in the rain doing this and he mentioned it was not easy due to space down there.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i
    I have not done it myself but there was a thread or two with someone that did. He said the non vanos are bigger diameter. I believe obx also makes a performance set for the 740 that are basically m60 clones. I havent done it so dont quote me on it.
    I will see if i can find the thread. It was someone about a russian guy in california spent the day in the rain doing this and he mentioned it was not easy due to space down there.
    Ya it was e39bmw. Alex is awesome. He's opening up his shop soon.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    i found the thread but it wasnt m60. he used an obx setup meant for the 740 so he had to grind part of the bellhousing. he is a pioneer. lol
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    BMW 540is 6sp/ESS
    Just noting that not only Alpina 4.6 - but also BMW's own 4.6is used in X5, is using the "M60" manifold

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=11611729528
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Current M5'00 LM Blue - Twin Rotrexed again !! 25psi S/C, Kelleners cams, worked heads, RD headers, Flanged Sleeves, M11 Steel inserts, M3 studs, 2x3" custom exhaust, UUC V12 280mm Clutch and Flywheel, UUC Shortshift, Brembo GT LM brakes 380(8pot)/345mm discs, KW Type III, DINAN Swaybars, DINAN strut bars, black/LMBlue-Birsch leather interior, Nav & TV, Phonenix Gold 5.1 upgraded audio, xenon, facelifted, BBS LM 19" with Yokahama AVS Sport, 295/30-19", 255/35-19", [unverified 800+hp/800+Nm]

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    I seem to recall a pic of the S62 intake manifold, having velocity stacks. However, like sfgearhead, my judgement, too, is clouded.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    BMW 540is 6sp/ESS
    totally diffrent with a separarate Throttle Bodies per cylinder though
    Last edited by 540is; 04-23-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Current M5'00 LM Blue - Twin Rotrexed again !! 25psi S/C, Kelleners cams, worked heads, RD headers, Flanged Sleeves, M11 Steel inserts, M3 studs, 2x3" custom exhaust, UUC V12 280mm Clutch and Flywheel, UUC Shortshift, Brembo GT LM brakes 380(8pot)/345mm discs, KW Type III, DINAN Swaybars, DINAN strut bars, black/LMBlue-Birsch leather interior, Nav & TV, Phonenix Gold 5.1 upgraded audio, xenon, facelifted, BBS LM 19" with Yokahama AVS Sport, 295/30-19", 255/35-19", [unverified 800+hp/800+Nm]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12