Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e36 wont start has spark/ no fuel

My Cars
    98 m3

e36 wont start has spark/ no fuel

i have a 92 325i non vanos. The car cranks but wont start. The fuel pump wont kick on when trying to start when i jump the pin 85 on the relay for the fuel relay the pump works. which means no signal ground from dme. the relays are good. when i spray starting fluid in the intake it starts but barley for a second. Was told it could be bad cps or dme? any help please.

98 M3/4/5

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    If the problem were a bad cps , you wouldn't have spark.

To be clear, are you saying you take a ground to pin 85 of the relay, and the car runs?

And when you sprayed starting fluid, how much did you spray? If a lot, it can ignite without a spark, by compression ignition.

Try powering up fuse 18, with a jumper wire, see if the car runs.

And check for spark by pulling a coil and plug, grounding the coil mounting and spark plug threads, then crank starter.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    98 m3
    if i ground pin 85 from the fuel pump realy then the fuel pump works otherwise the fuel pump wont turn on. had ti spray a 3 sec squirt which is actually a lot . will check for spark again

98 M3/4/5

My Cars
    98 m3
    Replaced crank sensor and car started right up.

98 M3/4/5

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Then it did not have spark, either.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I have replaced my fuel pump, spark plugs, crank position sensor and still no spark and fuel pump has no power. Would the cam position sensor be a big issue?

My Cars
    98 m3
    No usually the crank sensor is need to start not the cam sensor.

Have you checked Ur dme? If you turn to on but no crank does your check engine light turn on ? And see if it gives a code
    Last edited by mtekwolf; 02-09-2012 at 11:39 PM.

98 M3/4/5

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by myscion04 View Post
    I have replaced my fuel pump, spark plugs, crank position sensor and still no spark and fuel pump has no power. Would the cam position sensor be a big issue?
    It's time to stop throwing parts, and actually diagnose the issue. You might want to start by making sure the dme is clean, dry, and correctly mounted/grounded. Then see if the main/dme relay is giving it power.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1995 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    If the problem were a bad cps , you wouldn't have spark.

To be clear, are you saying you take a ground to pin 85 of the relay, and the car runs?

And when you sprayed starting fluid, how much did you spray? If a lot, it can ignite without a spark, by compression ignition.

Try powering up fuse 18, with a jumper wire, see if the car runs.

And check for spark by pulling a coil and plug, grounding the coil mounting and spark plug threads, then crank starter.
    Hi Bmwdirtracer, I have fuel delivered but no spark, do you think the problem could be the bad CPS? Thanks
    Last edited by msesing; 09-11-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    E36 320i M50TU20
    ANGEL EYES
    E87 5 STAR MAG RIMS
    OTHERWISE ALL STOCK AND OEM

My Cars
    1995 325i convertible
    sorry if this is considered grave digging but, i'm having the same problem, my car died out in the middle of a turn, i replaced the fuel filter, when i took it off and cranked my car, fuel shot out of the line from the tank, so it seems the pump is running, if i feed fuel/starter fluid into the intake directly it starts, but it dies off, but it definitely has spark, if i put enough and press on the gas pedal it gives me some rpms but it dies off almost instantly, any ideas? O.o

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Have the intake smoke tested for leaks, and get a fuel pressure test. Also, try disconnecting the maf when the engine is off, and then try starting the car. If this works, do NOT assume the maf is bad.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is

No start problem checked CPS replaced ECU

Hey I have found you post very helpful in diagnosing my no start problem.
    However I am still unable to fix. I have checked the Fuel pump and DME relays. The Crank sensor reads 509 ohms. I replaced a the ECU with a supposedly working one. Still no luck. The car is a 93 BMW 325is, so I don't have to worry about the EWS unit, as it isn't present.

I have 12v constant at FP and DME relay, however no 12v on DME relay at start up. Also bridged the FP relay and fuel pump comes on. Checked for return fuel circulation.
    Checked for spark with carb cleaner at intake. SO no spark no fuel.

Planning to start checking coils later today. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Nathan

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Are you 100 percent positive that you don't have an EWS? As for the coils, check between the outer connectors, should get .4-.8 ohms. Also what type of Spark plugs do you have in that motor?
    Is the starter spinning when you goto the "start" position?
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is

No EWS

The car is fixed. I put the ECU in late last night when I got home, and didn't unhook the battery first. I know dumb right. Anyway, I started checking wires from ECU for continuity all seemed okay. Then plugged ECU back in hooked the battery up and started right up. So problem solved, at least for now.

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    I have a 92 325 with NV m50 with the blues.
    Crank sensor ohms out 508
    Cam sensor ohms out 1250
    Fuel pump runs only when jumpered, but having fuel pressure doesn't start the car
    Fires and runs on starting fluid.
    I tried a 2nd DME, no dice
    Seems like injectors aren't opening.

Anything easy to try? Do I have to start checking continuity in harness?
    '91 325ix/5 coupe, '98 M3 sedan
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    Anyone? Could it be the ignition switch is not turning on fuel system?
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You have made an unwarranted assumption above, I think. You say that the fuel pump runs when jumpered, but having fuel pressure doesn't start the car. Are you actually sure that when you jumper the fuel pump, you are receiving correct fuel pressure? Just because the pump is running doesn't mean it's pumping fuel - and even if it IS pumping fuel, it may not be delivering the correct pressure.

It is highly unlikely that you have spark, but no fuel injector pulse. Certainly, you can put a stethoscope or a screwdriver on the injectors, and listen for clicking while someone cranks the starter.

Are you aware that many BMWs do not turn on the fuel pump until the dme sees a rotating engine? I mention this, in case you're just testing whether the fuel pump is running with the key in on position, but engine not turning.

Because you said that the engine starts on starting fluid, I strongly suspect you are receiving inadequate fuel pressure. What work have you done, since the car last ran, and how long ago was that?

Lastly, make sure the DME is correctly grounded

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    Thank you for your reply. I bought the car with the cams taken out, the engine harness completely detached from all the engine sensors. I used a wiring diagram to reinstall harness-to-sensor connections correct I hope. I thought I may have messed up the cam position and crank position as the harness has the same color wires for both-stupid. I am sure the fuel system has enough fuel pressure to start and idle. You know how an engine will run and start for several seconds after you pull the pump fuse? However, I know the pump isn't running when the engine is cranking. So I replaced both the Main relay and Fuel pump relays with OEM BMW. When I jumped the fuel pump, I not only heard the pump run loudly then quiet down as the lines filled, but I forgot to tighten one clamp and a little fuel sprayed out. I have experience doing the mechanical stuff, and am getting more comfortable with the electric side.

Also, I was cranking the engine over several times in ~10 sec bursts , then suddenly turning the key wouldn't crank the engine. This has made me question the ignition switch.
    Last edited by E.Roy; 09-21-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    '77 Porsche 911, '87 Corvette, '97 M3
    2004 328i won't start. Same thread?
    '97 M3
    '77 Porsche 911
    '87 Corvette

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughaC View Post
    2004 328i won't start. Same thread?
    Oh, no, please. Thanks for asking, though. It would just confuse two very different cars and issues. Just click on "New Thread" or "Thread Starter"

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    You have made an unwarranted assumption above, I think..........
    ........Because you said that the engine starts on starting fluid, I strongly suspect you are receiving inadequate fuel pressure. What work have you done, since the car last ran, and how long ago was that?

Lastly, make sure the DME is correctly grounded
    I just wanted to say BMWdirtracer that you were right. Since I bought the car apart, I hooked up the fuel lines backward, it was deadheading against the fpr. Thank you for your assistance.
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Bringing this back cause I've been dealing with the infamous "crank but no start" issue and hope for some direction. I replaced the crank sensor and fuel pump. Also bought a new battery cause the other gave out from so much cranking and jump starting it I assume. Managed to turn engine over after spraying lots of starter fluid. Had to keep on the gas cause intake and maf were not installed and the idle was everywhere. Turned the car off and restarted it fine a few times. That was 5 days ago and now it wont start again. Originally I came off the freeway after a fast run and as I was getting home I felt a power loss then the car completely gave out. Sat for months like that and I barely started messing with it again. Help much appreciated.

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantisvip View Post
    Bringing this back cause I've been dealing with the infamous "crank but no start" issue and hope for some direction. I replaced the crank sensor and fuel pump. Also bought a new battery cause the other gave out from so much cranking and jump starting it I assume. Managed to turn engine over after spraying lots of starter fluid. Had to keep on the gas cause intake and maf were not installed and the idle was everywhere. Turned the car off and restarted it fine a few times. That was 5 days ago and now it wont start again. Originally I came off the freeway after a fast run and as I was getting home I felt a power loss then the car completely gave out. Sat for months like that and I barely started messing with it again. Help much appreciated.
    Some cheap things you might try: fuel filter, Main and Fuel pump relay. I don't know if the camshaft sensor could be a problem, but you can check them for resistance
    Archivegarage.com

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Roy View Post
    Some cheap things you might try: fuel filter, Main and Fuel pump relay. I don't know if the camshaft sensor could be a problem, but you can check them for resistance
    Would you happen to know how to test the relays and if main relay plug can be bridged temporarily to see if it tells me something? Could a dirty filter cause me all this??

My Cars
    91 325ix, 98 M3/4/5
    I don't know, but the info is out there. Its unlikely the filter could cause your issue
    Archivegarage.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast