Thread: Special Order BMW 535i xDrive, 3000 miles, 7 Concerns...

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535i xDrive

Special Order BMW 535i xDrive, 3000 miles, 7 Concerns...

I am a new member to the forum and would like to say Hello to everyone

History: I special ordered a 2011 BMW 535i xDrive in June, 2011, which arrived in August 2011 in the following configuration:

- Black Sapphire Metallic
    - Cinnamon Brown Interior
    - Anthracite Wood
    - Sport Package
    - Premium 1 Package
    - Premium 2 Package
    - Convenience Package
    - Anthracite Headliner

To date, the car has approximately 3000 miles and unfortunately at this present time is at my BMW Service Center.

I took the car to my BMW service center on 27 Dec, as I was experiencing the following issues and figured to get them checked out while I was on Holiday recess:

1. Throttle lag when taking off from a standstill, car is jerky, hesitates.
    - This one has been reported many times on the forums, so I am not too worried about it.

2. RPMs jumping on cold idle. RPMs bounce from low to high then settle down after some time.
    - This one too has been reported by several F10 owners so I can let this one go too.

3. On cold starts, when shifter is put into reverse, RPMs dip (rough) to a point where car/engine wants to stall. Does not occur once car warms.
    - This is a concern. My BMW Service Center replaced the MAF and called me a couple days ago saying that this has not fixed the problem. He said that they are in touch with BMW Engineers to further diagnose the problem. Any ideas? Only occurs on cold starts.

4. Vehicle stalled once when rolling down the driveway. Had to restart in the middle of the road.
    - Could be related to issue #3. I use Premium Fuel only.

5. Driver's side soft close door latch gets stuck preventing the door from closing. This has happened 3x.
    - BMW Service Center said they could not duplicate. Annoying but I can live with it, I guess...

6. Check for Software updates.
    - On them to check.

7. Rattling sound from underneath car/engine on cold starts. Sound goes away after the car warms.
    - The BMW 535 loaner that I was given does the same thing. I read somewhere that this could be related to the exhaust valves opening then closing.

Although some of these are minor, still an inconvenience for a car that only has 3000 miles.

My Cars
    2011 535I Msport package
    Mine does all the same but no stalling.
    535I Msport package white
    Black grille, painted side markers, lowering springs, wheels spacers and Burger tune.

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    Welcome to the forum! I guess the 528 doesn't have the same problems, but I do have a lifter ticking when cold that needs to be checked.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535i xDrive
    UPDATE: Car is still at the dealership, received a phone call last night. They replaced the MAF sensor to correct the idle jump, stalling and stuttering in reverse. They said that after they put the new MAF sensor in, they wanted to cold start the following morning to see if this corrected the problem. They said that the problem got worse, in that the vehicle would no longer start anymore. They called BMW Engineers, and the latest is that they reset the adaptation values and the problem so far has been corrected. They will keep it for another night to see if all is well. Don't take no for an answer, push them so that they will do something. Dropped off the car on 27 Dec and it is now 10 Jan. Had they not given me a 535i loaner, I would have been really ticked off.