Thread: E39 I6 LS Swap kit

My Cars
    99 540i6
    First $20K takes mine

'99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Any update on the T56 transmission mount?

I'm working on a M5 LSX swap, but I intend to use the I6 subframe for the rack and pinion steering. I'm assuming the transmission mounting points on the unibody are the same between I6 and V8 versions of the E39? Can anyone comfirm?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by byrden View Post

I'm working on a M5 LSX swap, but I intend to use the I6 subframe for the rack and pinion steering. I'm assuming the transmission mounting points on the unibody are the same between I6 and V8 versions of the E39? Can anyone comfirm?
    Haven't heard yet, I'll let you know as soon as I do.
    As far as mounting points, the ones on the body should be the same, but I don't know for sure. You're putting an I6 front end on it? I think Zr6sbc did the same thing with a 540.... Maybe I'm wrong.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
    Haven't heard yet, I'll let you know as soon as I do.
    As far as mounting points, the ones on the body should be the same, but I don't know for sure. You're putting an I6 front end on it? I think Zr6sbc did the same thing with a 540.... Maybe I'm wrong.
    Yes, I6 subframe, rack, and suspension from the knuckles down. I saw Zr6sbc's thread which is what gave me a nudge to go this route.

I don't think I can PM, so email me prices of your hardware to warrior929 at comcast dot net.

Thanks

My Cars
    95 M3 -- 93 RX7
    I will test fit my ls9 t56 in a few months and will let you know how the mounts fit.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas280 View Post
    I will test fit my ls9 t56 in a few months and will let you know how the mounts fit.

Speechless.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    I thought it was a turbod LS3!? Ls9... Wow

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Quote Originally Posted by byrden View Post

The "third" transmission mounting point is different between the I6 and the 540's. I posted up some pictures here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8#post23597478

From JF's trans mount pictures, it seems that the "third" hole isn't being used. I'm not using it either.

Looking forward to your swap thread!
    540i-LS3-TR6060 swap thread

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by zr6sbc View Post
    The "third" transmission mounting point is different between the I6 and the 540's. I posted up some pictures here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8#post23597478

From JF's trans mount pictures, it seems that the "third" hole isn't being used. I'm not using it either.

Looking forward to your swap thread!
    I use the third hole for the auto trans mount. Not the t56

Thanks for that clarification!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528

My Cars
    01M5,72TA,06LBz,850,540m
    how much for a set of mounts? I would love to set up Mom with a reliable LS swap in a touring. hwo to the electronics meet up? factlry Air work? how are the rst fo the features on the car?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by cer54467
    how much for a set of mounts? I would love to set up Mom with a reliable LS swap in a touring. hwo to the electronics meet up? factlry Air work? how are the rst fo the features on the car?
    PM'd a price.
    The electronics were pretty easy, still working all the little things out on my car. Factory heat works, haven't hooked up AC yet. I don't miss any features really, cruise control and traction control are usually the biggest losses. But the car is drivable.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Got my mounts yesterday, thanks Jesus Freak. Craftsmanship looks first rate. I'm hoping to test fit these in the next couple weeks with my Caddy CTS-V T56. I'll let you know how it goes.

My Cars
    Appliances
    Great work!! Let us know if/when you sort out an oil pan solution as part of the kit.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by jmil1974 View Post
    Great work!! Let us know if/when you sort out an oil pan solution as part of the kit.
    I used an autokraft pan, it ALMOST fit with the stock swaybar, but was just too close for my comfort. So I'm using a NASCAR style swaybar and the autokraft oil pan.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Nice work! My turbo E34 is on eBay. If it sells, I will be talking to you about a kit for a touring

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by five&dime View Post
    Nice work! My turbo E34 is on eBay. If it sells, I will be talking to you about a kit for a touring
    Sounds good!

My Cars
    1993 RX7
    Can you please pm me pricing and availability on a full kit? Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
    Can you please pm me pricing and availability on a full kit? Thanks!
    You don't have enough posts, it won't let me PM. Got an email address?

My Cars
    1993 RX7
    Sorry man, thanks! Roger dot Mesina @ g mail dot com. Hope that makes sense lol. What year e39 is yours? Have a build thread?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
    Sorry man, thanks! Roger dot Mesina @ g mail dot com. Hope that makes sense lol. What year e39 is yours? Have a build thread?
    No worries.
    Mine is a 2000, theres a link to my build thread in my signature. I'll shoot you an email, let me know if you get it.

My Cars
    97 528
    i used a stock f-body pan and it fit fine. i dont think any pan will work with the stock sway bar though. im gonna retro-fit anther sway bar that will mount in front of the subframe. not sure how yet though.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Quote Originally Posted by cullen114
    i used a stock f-body pan and it fit fine. i dont think any pan will work with the stock sway bar though. im gonna retro-fit anther sway bar that will mount in front of the subframe. not sure how yet though.
    I was going to try that, but from all the suspension guys I talked to, they all agreed that it would be very difficult to get the geometry right without having the car for test fitting, and even then it'd be difficult.

My Cars
    97 528
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak View Post
    I was going to try that, but from all the suspension guys I talked to, they all agreed that it would be very difficult to get the geometry right without having the car for test fitting, and even then it'd be difficult.
    yeah, I felt that way but i then realized that its just a sway bar. its not as critical as a control arm,etc. im gonna buy a couple sway bars at the junkyard and if that doesnt work, ill try a stiffer spring rate or just buy the nascar set-up like other people have done, even though it seems to be as much work as a junkyard set-up.

My Cars
    Appliances
    Guys drive without rear sway bars all the time and cars used to be made without them. Not having one, especially in the front, will REALLY upset the handling...perhaps to the point of being unsafe. You can drive like a granny and not notice much, but is that why you drive the car you have? Especially a swapped one? You can increase the spring rate and get much the same effect but then you compromise handling comfort. Further, that will require a shock change, unless you already have double adjustable dampers. The beauty of that sway bar is it'll keep you flat without hurting your ride. Consider contacting Sam Strano for his input. He understands handling dynamics as well as most anyone and likes other enthusiasts enough to chit chat.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast