Thread: e36 radio code.....???

My Cars
    99 323 vert

e36 radio code.....???

I just finished installing a new alternator in my 323 vert and as i sit in the car i notice my radio reads "code" with 5 dashed after it. what is this? i have read that its a security code but.......where do i get this code from?

My Cars
    '97 328i
    It's usually written on the user manual of the car or the head unit. If you lost the original documentation, you can request the code from BMW by your car's VIN I think.

I just dumped the cassette player for an aftermarket head unit.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    You will need to remove the headunit so you can get the serial number off it. Then call just about any dealer and tell them you need the radio code. When you get the code use the numbered buttons on the headunit to put the code in.

Sometimes the code is on a sticker on the outside of the headunit. It will be clearly marked. At least mine was.

My Cars
    triple rare US E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by xlDooM View Post
    It's usually written on the user manual of the car or the head unit. If you lost the original documentation, you can request the code from BMW by your car's VIN I think.
    this. I'd check your glovebox first.
    BMWCCA Member 376052
    RIP Pandashizzle

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    You will need to remove the headunit so you can get the serial number off it. Then call just about any dealer and tell them you need the radio code. When you get the code use the numbered buttons on the headunit to put the code in.

Sometimes the code is on a sticker on the outside of the headunit. It will be clearly marked. At least mine was.
    +1
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The Radio Code is on a card in the Radio Owners Manual.

You get 3 tries to input the correct code, then the radio will lock you out. You set the key to RUN for 20 - 30 minutes to clear the Code Counter, then you get 3 more shots to input the correct code.

This is a theft deterent. If the bad guys steal the radio, there are thousands of key combinations -- 5 digits in a range of 1 to 6 -- that have to be guessed at in groups of three, then wait a half hour. It should take about a week to guess the code for the radio, which makes stealing one a loser proposition (which only losers would steal a radio, but that's not the point of this post).

My Cars
    99 323 vert
    hey well i finally have the code from the dealer, only issue now is that my radio is stuck showing "codes waiting" and i havent been able to put my ccode in. how do i reset that?

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Have you tried what was posted above, setting the key to run for 30 minutes?

My Cars
    Blue 2000 Z3 2.3
    The car needs to run a good hour to reset.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Correct the key has to be in position 2 and sit for an hour and it will clear to CODE then you can input the correct code...

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    Correct the key has to be in position 2 and sit for an hour and it will clear to CODE then you can input the correct code...
    This is correct. Just had to do it myself.
    Last edited by Joshh; 01-10-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1987 325e (e30)
    Hey all,

I have the same problem, (no code for my radio) but I did everything I could, including calling 7 different dealerships. Nobody could find or get my code and I really don't feel like shelling out 20 bucks to buy a code from one of those radio unlocker websites. Thanks in advance for your help!

Its an alpine unit and the car (e36 m3) has the Harman Kardon system.
    Serial # AL 8BDU W 10 30055
    P/NO 65. 12-8 375 949
    Model # C43 US DIN
    KW 43/98
    SW/NO 40
    Index 03

My email is rlshteren@gmail.com BTW.
    Last edited by SilverShadow655; 04-01-2017 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by krazybone305 View Post
    I just finished installing a new alternator in my 323 vert and as i sit in the car i notice my radio reads "code" with 5 dashed after it. what is this? i have read that its a security code but.......where do i get this code from?

In the package that contains the Owner's Manual, there is a manual for the radio, the code is in this manual. IF YOU HAVE ATTEMPTED THE CODE THREE OR MORE TIMES AND FAILED, THE CODE CANNOT BE ENTERED. That is, even if yo have the correct code, the radio will not accept it.

The radio has a Code Counter that locks the code entry if there have been 3 wrong entries. To clear the code counter, set the key to Position I (ON) and leave the radio on for 20-ish minutes. A correct code will be 5 digits in the range of 1 - 6, that correspond to the preset buttons. This gives 7,776 possible combinations that have a 20-minute wait between each set of 3 wrong entires, which means it can take several days for an idiot to steal the radio and figure out what the code is so the radio can be made serviceable again.

Take your registration to the dealership, they can look up the VIN and tell you what the radio code is, assuming that the radio is the original factory unit.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    So I'm having the same issue, I have my radio serial number but don't know how to get the code to unlock my radio. Can someone get it for me?? If so much appreciated.

SERIAL#: V09811499

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is
    Maybe try calling a different dealership. They can look up the codes with only the radio serial number, I've had it done plenty of times.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jjo2k View Post
    So I'm having the same issue, I have my radio serial number but don't know how to get the code to unlock my radio. Can someone get it for me?? If so much appreciated.

SERIAL#: V09811499
    # doesn't work . recheck SN#
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1997 bmw 318i
    Hey man I need help butters stoch what do you need to help me find my code?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeann View Post
    Hey man I need help butters stoch what do you need to help me find my code?
    Pull the radio out, the code should be printed on a sticker attached to the back of it. If the sticker has been removed, contact the dealership with your vin number

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Pull the radio out, the code should be printed on a sticker attached to the back of it. If the sticker has been removed, contact the dealership with your vin number

This is false. If there is a sticker, then somebody not the dealer/factory put it there. If there is no sticker, it was not removed because nobody every put it there. the whole point of the CODE is to prevent theft of the radio, if the crooks cannot make the radio turn on after they steal it, then they are not going to break into the car to steal the radio. If the radio code is written on the back of the radio by the factory or by the dealership, then there's no point in making somebody input the code as a means of deterring theft.

The only way to get the code is from a dealership.

You only get three attempts to input the correct CODE, then no matter what you do no more inputs can be attempted until you set the key to Position I (ON) for 20-ish minutes. The Code Counter will be reset, and three more attempts at inputting the correct CODE can be made. 5 digits with each having a range of 1 - 6 gives 78,125 combinations, you get 3 tries and a 20-minute wait, this means it will take years to unlock a stolen radio via random CODE entry.

- - - Updated - - -

My bad, You get a range or 1-6, five times, this gives 7,776 combinations. It still takes way too long for a crackhead that steals the radio to get it to work again so he can get his next fix.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The code is not on the sticker of the radio, but the serial number, and that is enough for the dealer to tell you the code number.
    Updated by TSB #6502933729 Nov 1986.
    The BMW anti-theft radio circuitry is designed to essentially render your radio unsalable if it is stolen. If the radio is subsequently electrically reconnected, it will not operate until a five-digit security code assigned to your radio is entered. The anti-theft features and operation are as follows:

After the ignition key is removed, the red "anti-theft" LED will continuously flash, drawing attention to this feature.
    Should anyone, such as a thief, touch any push-button on the radio after the key is removed, the anti-theft inscription will flash and a warning tone will sound for 5 minutes or until the ignition is turned ON . Should the voltage supply to the radio drop below 5 volts due to a dead battery, electrical repairs, or radio removal (such as theft), the radio will not function when voltage is restored. The word "code" will show in the display only. The proper 5-digit code shown on the TWO CARDS SUPPLIED TO YOU must then be entered (using the proper number radio push-button selectors in the bottom row) when the radio is on and the display shows "code". If the correct code is not entered in three successive tries , the radio will not accept entry until the radio has been left on for one hour with the ignition ON . IMPORTANT: When entering 5-digit code number, be sure to complete sequence number of that 5-digit code. For example: Code No. sequence is 43215 and you mistakenly enter 42 instead of 3, continue the code number sequence of 215 to complete that entry. The radio will not operate and "code" will reappear in the display. Re-enter the correct number sequence of 43215 and operation of the radio will continue. The likelihood of guessing the correct code is extremely remote. The radio is, therefore, unsalable to a thief. NOTE: If an audible beep is heard while entering the 5-digit code, STOP immediately ! Begin entering the code again, starting with the first number of the 5-digit code. The code card should be placed in your wallet, or with the vehicle title papers for security as deemed necessary by your individual needs. Should radio or electrical repairs become necessary, please give the repairing facility the radio code number. If you do not, only authorized BMW dealer personnel can obtain the code from BMW. Should you lose your code cards, contact the nearest BMW dealer who will then obtain your code from BMW. You may be charged for removal of the radio to ascertain the radio chassis number.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    I have an anti-theft radio with CD in an 850 Ci 1993. Removal of the radio showed NO serial number of 14 digits. I even opened the radio and looked inside. Can the dealer get the code from the VIN?
    Last edited by porphy; 06-01-2018 at 01:53 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by porphy View Post
    I have an anti-theft radio with CD in an 850 Ci 1993. Removal of the radio showed NO serial number of 14 digits. I even opened the radio and looked inside. Can the dealer get the code from the VIN?

Yes, this is the way to get the code.

Take the registration card that has the VIN, they should be able to pull the code for you. IF YOU HAVE MADE 3 OR MORE ATTEMPTS TO INPUT THE CODE, THEN YOU HAVE TRIPPED A COUNTER THAT WILL PREVENT YOU FROM INPUTTING THE CORRECT CODE UNTIL THE COUNTER GETS RESET. I forget the steps, but I recall that you set the key to Position I (ON) and leave the car for 20-ish minutes with the radio on. If this does not work, then repeat with the key on Position II (RUN) before engine start. Position I should do the trick.
    Last edited by JDStrickland; 06-02-2018 at 12:31 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 850Ci
    I was surprised that the BMW dealer said that the Serial number was one of the numbers that I found on the radio but was NOT a 14 digit number, It was 7 digits with three Letters preceding the digits. OK the dealer had my code in about 3 minutes with that number. So if you don't have a 14 digit radio serial number take all the info from the radio and go to your friendly BMW dealer and get your code. No problem with the code input. Thanks for the comments.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Technically, a digit can be an alpha or numeric character -- a letter or a number. A digit does not have to be a number. Your VIN contains 17 digits, the 10th digit signifies the model year, and can be an alpha or numeric character.

My Cars
    323is
    I got a 1998 323is need radio code model num C33 DIN US serial num AL 6BDU V11 89061