Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coilovers - Bilstein PSS9 vs. GC Street/School

My Cars
    E30, E34, E36, Camry
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric98Sedan View Post
    I'd like to try their DA setup but it's spendy at $2600.... for a Koni.
    Agreed. You really should try some trms. Might be the hot ticket

Droop travel and potholes:

The less droop travel you have, the less you notice potholes. Not only has that been my experience with my suspensions (droop travel is adjustable with trms, as the loss of troop travel is a consequence of increased preload), but it just plain makes sense...as you go over a pothole, the less droop travel you have (or the more rebound damping) you have, the less the wheel is as allowed to drop into the pothole, therefore the less your wheel has to come back up to go back to the level of the road surface. That's the bit you feel anyway, the wheel returning to the normal height of contour of the road.

I found that with zero droop travel, you practically glide over dips caused by potholes, or man hole cover recesses. It's almost eerie.

L8d

Driving instructor for: BMWCCA, PCA, SCCA, Chin Motorsports, and Hooked on Driving.

My Cars
    hybrid
    When my car gets coil overs it's getting TRM.

I'd go Bilstein over GC (without hesitation) but for the money and my budget (which is out of range for JRZ, MCS and TCK) the TRM's will do just fine for my intended purposes (50/50) street and track. People are scared of the spring rates but IMO the cars ride better than any GC equipped car period
    Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by OnUrleft View Post
    When my car gets coil overs it's getting TRM.

I'd go Bilstein over GC (without hesitation) but for the money and my budget (which is out of range for JRZ, MCS and TCK) the TRM's will do just fine for my intended purposes (50/50) street and track. People are scared of the spring rates but IMO the cars ride better than any GC equipped car period
    Nice, they're a great kit for the money. I know you were around when they were likely being designed/prototyped, probably drove a couple yourself. I think I remember you commenting on them a few years ago when I was looking into them, I may have even asked you for some feedback.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Look into Broadway Static for the e36 M. Blows everything else out of the water and they start at $1600. Custom spring rates and good people to deal with.

Also bilsteins look ugly next to a BWS coilover not that that matters or anything..

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokemhontaS View Post
    Look into Broadway Static for the e36 M. Blows everything else out of the water and they start at $1600. Custom spring rates and good people to deal with.

Also bilsteins look ugly next to a BWS coilover not that that matters or anything..
    Not to say the guys at Fortune don't build a descent product, but the Broadway Static line's intent was to allow slammed ride height to a point of compromising the function of the suspension.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Would you gentleman feel Pss9s are worth a rebuild if they needed it? I have a set from a Z3 that I use for a while. They were great until fronts stopped adjusting. I'm on the fence about selling them because I feel as if I would be giving up some great coilovers.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by 96bmftw View Post
    Would you gentleman feel Pss9s are worth a rebuild if they needed it? I have a set from a Z3 that I use for a while. They were great until fronts stopped adjusting. I'm on the fence about selling them because I feel as if I would be giving up some great coilovers.
    I don't see why not if you like them. The PSS9 isn't a bad damper, the adjuster itself seems to be 'not-so-great', but other than that... Bilstein probably won't charge too much to fix em.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    I don't see why not if you like them. The PSS9 isn't a bad damper, the adjuster itself seems to be 'not-so-great', but other than that... Bilstein probably won't charge too much to fix em.
    I did enjoy them while they were functioning properly. I didn't they would last long anyway as they were on a driving instructor's car for quite a while. They have to have upwards of 75k miles. Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 AW M3
    Thought I'd keep this going. I just installed brand new PSS9s in my 95 M3 and am reminded why I love Bilsteins so much. The setup is quite impressive. More thoughts to come after a bit more seat time.

Edit - removed fresh Konis and stock springs and just prior to that same fresh Konis and HR OE Sports.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Reviving an old thread for other folks' benefit.

I ended up going with KW Variant 3's. I also swapped out the poly bushings for all new BMW OEM bushings. I am really enjoying the ride. There is one major drawback to the KW however.... The lower perch hits right at the tire which forces you to run a lower than optimal offset. I am running a 18x9.0 +31et wheel with a 245/35/18 tire on the front and I need a 7.5mm spacer to give me proper clearance. I could go down to a 5mm spacer and clear but it is really close.

I love the ride but hate this aspect of the KW's. I've heard of some guys deleting the helper spring and divider, then running one longer main spring to raise the perch up. However - the top of the threads on the shock body are not higher than the tire so I don't see how that could solve the issue. I'd love to stick with the KW's but this issue might have me looking elsewhere now.

Chris.
    HamsM5
    2015 F80 M3 - Sakhir Orange/Individual Interior
    2015 X5 diesel
    1998 M3/4/6 Turbo - Estoril/Dove
    1986 Porsche 930 Turbo
    2006 Cayman S
    2004 C5 Z06
    1972 Camaro Z/28 RS

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    The issue is not with your kw but with your wheel choice. 9" wide should be around et40 or so in the first place and 18" tall places the lip up higher than normal. Have you tried 17x8 et35 or similar just for ishts and giggles?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Geez. I wouldn't sell $2k suspension just because you have to run a small spacer. Chances are many other coilovers may need the same. Even really high end sets.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Geez. I wouldn't sell $2k suspension just because you have to run a small spacer. Chances are many other coilovers may need the same. Even really high end sets.
    Every coilover setup I have experience with for our cars requires a small spacer upfront to clear most 245+ capable wheel setups. Spacers are not a reason to get rid of them at all IMO.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    The issue is not with your kw but with your wheel choice. 9" wide should be around et40 or so in the first place and 18" tall places the lip up higher than normal. Have you tried 17x8 et35 or similar just for ishts and giggles?

Sorry but you're wrong in that. The issue IS with the KW's.

I was previously running the school hybrid GC setup. On this setup I was running a 18x9.0 +41 et with a 5mm spacer with no clearance issues and could have run a 3mm actually. With the KW Variant 3's I am running a 18x9.0 +31 et and still need a 6mm spacer to clear. On the same size 18x9.0 +41et wheels I needed at least an 18mm spacer to get adequate clearance. Not trying to argue with you but honestly you don't have the KW's. I've had a few different coliover setups and 5 sets of wheels to date with a whole slew of spacers to tune my setups. The KW Variant 3 has been the most challenging set to date. While I have enjoyed the ride of them, they are definitely a challenge. Having the lower spring perch up above the tire would fix this problem. However, there isn't enough thread on the shock body to bring the perch up above the tire and run a different spring combo.

As for an 8" wheel - I have tested and own a set of 8.5" wheels for a front application but I prefer to have at least a 9" wheel up front.

Chris.

- - - Updated - - -

The spacer isn't the issue. The issue is that the lower perch is dead on center with the lip of the wheel. Essentially I need to run a 9" wheel with a 25mm offset to clear the KW without a spacer. This creates a challenge. I have a few custom made sets of wheels which is fine.

The point I am trying to make here is give honest feedback around the KW Variant 3. The ride is fantastic - best I've tried to date. The negative surrounds the fitment up front due to the spring perch location. I am just trying to give my findings to others on the board who may search this thread in the future. You will definitely need to run a lower offset wheel or larger spacer if moving to the KW. - Something to consider and prepare for.

Chris.
    Last edited by HamsM5; 08-17-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    HamsM5
    2015 F80 M3 - Sakhir Orange/Individual Interior
    2015 X5 diesel
    1998 M3/4/6 Turbo - Estoril/Dove
    1986 Porsche 930 Turbo
    2006 Cayman S
    2004 C5 Z06
    1972 Camaro Z/28 RS

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3, 2006 BMW M3
    This has been the most informative E36 M3 coilover discussion I have found on the forums. I am reviving because I am looking for a coilover setup for my car. I am between GC street/school, PSS9s, and KW V2's. Are there any updated opinions or experiences anyone could share to help inform this decision?

So far, this is my understanding...
    GC street/school: handle well but very harsh for the street
    PSS9s: great ride and handling, long lasting, but less than ideal spring rates out of the box
    KW V2's: Also a good setup, Koni based so potentially not as long lasting as the PSS9s, V3s seem to be in a different league, potential clearance issues if running wide rubber up front.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Still love my GC setup. Full soft is fine for the street...that being said I dont DD it but I've taken it on long trips with no issues
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I also run the GC kit and like it very much. Its harshness will depend a lot on the spring rates you choose. I chose the middle of the road option of 440/550 and it's stiff but fine on the street. If you went with the 525/650 springs it'd probably be borderline for the street IMO. That'd be pretty brutal on rough roads or on longer drives.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    00 EG M Coupe
    Does anyone have problems contacting TRM about their coilovers? It has been out of stock for the longest time since I started looking (10-12 months)
    WTB: Z3 M Coupe - G-Power front splitters, driver's side door panel

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe - CF Roof plug, LTW Spoiler

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I wish I had located this string a few years ago as I was deciding on suspension upgrades for my e36 M3. I spent weeks pouring over coilover options, reviews, and pricing/value.
    At the end, I determined that for street use, the pss9 was the best value. TCK was at the top of my list but based on pricing, I would have to go used to fit into my budget.
    ECS suspension refresh kits for front and rear were installed at the same time as the coilovers with all possible reinforcement plates added. Vorshlag plates are the jam, no noise, easy adjustment, low stack. Rogue Engineering front strut brace was employed as well as Rogue rear shock mounts and rear camber arms. So, I went to a completely new suspension setup.
    I run ride height near roll center, 13 1/4" front and 12 3/8" rear. Setting 6 on the dampers allows the car to ride well enough for my wife to come on road trips lol. Front plates are at max caster with -3 degrees of camber (would like -2.5 but can't adjust much more out. Rear camber is -2 degrees. Toe is 0 up front for minimal wear, about 1/4" in on the rear.
    I have one gripe about the pss9 setup...the rear ride height adjustment is a pain. As stated before, the adjusters are below the rear springs, meaning rear springs must be removed for adjustment. This can be very tedious when adjusting ride height or corner weighting.

Full suspension refresh is kicking off on my 4.8is this coming month. When it comes time to replace the air suspension, I plan to go with BC coilovers. Reviews are solid, pricing is reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaflac View Post
    Does anyone have problems contacting TRM about their coilovers? It has been out of stock for the longest time since I started looking (10-12 months)
    I don't want to speak for them, but I don't think there will be another production run anytime soon. I think their runs were based on interest since they were made in batches, so if not enough interested buyers, not worth taking on the expense of producing a product that will sit on the shelf. I think TRM's focus is on the engine tuning these days and professional motorsport.

*EDIT* looks like if there's enough interest there could be production run, so I'd definitely contact them and tell them your interested.
    Last edited by propcar; 06-07-2017 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    00 EG M Coupe
    I don't want to speak for them, but I don't think there will be another production run anytime soon. I think their runs were based on interest since they were made in batches, so if not enough interested buyers, not worth taking on the expense of producing a product that will sit on the shelf. I think TRM's focus is on the engine tuning these days and professional motorsport.

*EDIT* looks like if there's enough interest there could be production run, so I'd definitely contact them and tell them your interested.
    I'll give them another email, thanks Propcar. You were one of the many reviews I read that advocated for TRM coilovers.
    WTB: Z3 M Coupe - G-Power front splitters, driver's side door panel

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe - CF Roof plug, LTW Spoiler

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaflac View Post
    I'll give them another email, thanks Propcar. You were one of the many reviews I read that advocated for TRM coilovers.
    It's a great package for the money. I still got mine and haven't had to touch them since I installed them. I don't know the mileage but I've had em for 5 years now, driven plenty. Hope it works out.
    Last edited by propcar; 06-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    edirtysex
    How do KW V3 springs compare to PSS9 springs, considering there is all this greatness surrounding the dampers, but crappy bilstein springs? Without going above $2000, would one go with TCK SA, PSS9 or KW V3? I am with others, where just when i think i made a decision, some new posters changes my mind
    '95 M3 cosmos, sold
    '96 M3 boston gree, sold
    '00 M5 jet black, sold
    '01 M3 Ti Silver, sold
    '07 335i jet black, sold
    '00 M5 Silver, sold
    '03 M5 Carbon sold
    '02 M5 Carbon black, sold
    '97 M3, white, sold
    '02 M5 Sterling gray, sold
    '03 530xi wagon, sold
    '91 M5 black, sold
    '99 M3 cosmos, sold
    '11 335i, gray, sold
    '09 M3 silverstone, sold
    '02 330i, sold
    '02 M3, steel gray, sold
    '02 325xi, BSM, sold
    '09 335, Montego, sold
    '97 M3, dakar II, current
    '97 M3 estoril

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Today: I'd probably go PSS9 with some Vorshlag camber plates. Maybe change the springs out. You could also do non-M PSS for cheaper if you don't care about adjusters (just have to run non-M swaybar).

I wouldn't say bilstein PSS9 springs are crappy... they're probably made by H&R. The rears are progressive I believe. I forget the rates but fronts are somewhere in 450-550 range.
    Last edited by propcar; 09-10-2018 at 04:59 PM.

My Cars
    edirtysex
    Understood, but the whole idea of coilovers is one stop shop. It is a hassle to be buying springs separately and what am I paying so much then for C/o if springs are not good. So now I have PSS9 coilovers and some other springs. Seems like butchering the product. Then I might as well source out all my components individually and go something like GC or TCK. I want to buy coilovers and be done with it. In this case, would you say KW V3 springs are better than bilstein pss9?

Thanks!
    Last edited by malter; 09-11-2018 at 04:33 PM.
    '95 M3 cosmos, sold
    '96 M3 boston gree, sold
    '00 M5 jet black, sold
    '01 M3 Ti Silver, sold
    '07 335i jet black, sold
    '00 M5 Silver, sold
    '03 M5 Carbon sold
    '02 M5 Carbon black, sold
    '97 M3, white, sold
    '02 M5 Sterling gray, sold
    '03 530xi wagon, sold
    '91 M5 black, sold