Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Teves Mk 60 as stand alone ABS

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    We used CDL3 which had very good CAN support and fed the M800 & PDM.
    The Motorsports version ran at 1Mbit

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Thanks for the quick answers guys!

The CAN is the only mystery part, but at this point, it's not that critical ... I can get the wheel speeds directly, and I already have another set of pressure sensors I can run directly into the AIM. I have an M800 ... hopefully my tuning/ecu guy can figure something out
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    I can also confirm the E46 330i CAN Bus is 500 kb/s
    Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    The wheelspeed outs on the Teves MK60 are NOT CAN, they are direct digital outs that can be read by anything that reads digital sensors. I run those outs directly to my M1 ECU.

--Peter

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by herrubermensch View Post
    The wheelspeed outs on the Teves MK60 are NOT CAN, they are direct digital outs that can be read by anything that reads digital sensors. I run those outs directly to my M1 ECU.

--Peter
    Good to know ... but there is only the rears (unless the 330i harness is different? The pins are empty for where the fronts would be). Also, I'd rather run 2 wires (CAN) and get everything rather than a bunch of wires if possible. I'll probably run the digital outs directly to the Aim dash. More accurate than the GPS probably.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    All I know is that on the standalone harness I made from the pinout, there are four wheelspeed digital outs. I ran those to my M1 ECU's digital sensor inputs. Others have run them to the digital sensor inputs of a Pectel SQ6.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    All I know is that on the standalone harness I made from the pinout, there are four wheelspeed digital outs. I ran those to my M1 ECU's digital sensor inputs. Others have run them to the digital sensor inputs of a Pectel SQ6.
    Interesting ... which ABS module do you have (part number)? regular M3, CSL, or the Motorsports version? Is yours the Mk60E5? My harness (from a 2004 330i) only has Right Rear, and Left Rear "processed" outputs. This is also what is listed in the BMW wiring diagrams for the M3.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65

--Peter
    There is definitely both...wheel speeds do have individual outs from the harness, but it is also sent over CAN. In fact over CAN has another output that the direct harness does not have...average wheel speed.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I guess I should add the leads for the front wheel speeds, in case I don't get CAN working.

Ok, next question: What tools do you guys use to pin the BMW connectors? have links to where I can buy? I assume the pins themselves are BMW, but they must have a generic supplier as well? How about some info on how they are assembled (ie, removing pins, etc).

Great info all ... when I get this done I might compile it all into a single thread since it's a bit chaotic right now :/

My Cars
    2001 525i Sport Wagon
    I got my contacts and seals from Curt Jung. I think realoem lists them.
    I used the $30.00 crimper from Ballenger Motorsports and it worked great.
    I'll post a link

Peter Florance
    PFTuning.com

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pftuning View Post
    I got my contacts and seals from Curt Jung. I think realoem lists them.
    I used the $30.00 crimper from Ballenger Motorsports and it worked great.
    I'll post a link

If anyone wants the part numbers for the connectors and seals let me know. I've got a pretty good list.

I got them from GetBMWParts, but ECS, FCP, etc all sell them.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    So I hooked it all up, plugged in the laptop to the ODBII port, flicked on the switch .... and nothing. Then I remembered that I have to put fuses into the fuse holders I installed, and magically it all works

Thanks for the tips everyone!

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    So I hooked it all up, plugged in the laptop to the ODBII port, flicked on the switch .... and nothing. Then I remembered that I have to put fuses into the fuse holders I installed, and magically it all works

Thanks for the tips everyone!
    When I first hooked mine up similar thing. Nada. Then I went and checked and the connector wasn't seated. Mine ticks when it's powered up. Does your's?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    When I first hooked mine up similar thing. Nada. Then I went and checked and the connector wasn't seated. Mine ticks when it's powered up. Does your's?
    Don't recall any ticking, but I'll be working on tucking the wiring out of the way tonight so I'll take a close listen. I was able to run the individual unlock tests on each wheel, and all the pumps and valves appear to be doing their job. I get all speed sensors, pressure sensors, and brake pedal switch data in INPA. Don't have a DSC sensor yet (in the mail), but everything else appears to be ok.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Don't recall any ticking, but I'll be working on tucking the wiring out of the way tonight so I'll take a close listen. I was able to run the individual unlock tests on each wheel, and all the pumps and valves appear to be doing their job. I get all speed sensors, pressure sensors, and brake pedal switch data in INPA. Don't have a DSC sensor yet (in the mail), but everything else appears to be ok.
    Cool, thanks. It's quiet. I only hear it because the hood is off. My Autel talks to it, can run all the pumps and valves, sensors are good, no codes.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Can anyone confirm that the M3 CSL ABS module does indeed send out all four wheel speeds on pins 8, 10, 12, and 14, or is that only the Motorsports unit? I'd like a confirmation before I start to modify the connector and wiring (my connector from a 330i does not have pins 12 and 14 wired).

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Can anyone confirm that the M3 CSL ABS module does indeed send out all four wheel speeds on pins 8, 10, 12, and 14, or is that only the Motorsports unit? I'd like a confirmation before I start to modify the connector and wiring (my connector from a 330i does not have pins 12 and 14 wired).
    I just confirmed this by reference to the pinout. It's the same hardware, just a different flash.

--Peter

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    I just confirmed this by reference to the pinout. It's the same hardware, just a different flash.

--Peter
    This isn't entirely true with regards to hardware...

There is one part number for the mk60 controller+pump that you buy from BMW. But within that part number there 3 different ATE part numbers for the control units. The ones ending in 813 and 818 are the more desirable units. Of those, only the 813 units can be flashed to the CSL program. The pump hardware is likely the same but there's some variation in the control units that should noted. The 813 units are harder to track down and eBay has been notorious for sellers showing 813 units and shipping 818 units.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3

There is one part number for the mk60 controller+pump that you buy from BMW. But within that part number there 3 different ATE part numbers for the control units. The ones ending in 813 and 818 are the more desirable units. Of those, only the 813 units can be flashed to the CSL program. The pump hardware is likely the same but there's some variation in the control units that should noted. The 813 units are harder to track down and eBay has been notorious for sellers showing 813 units and shipping 818 units.
    Ahhh. I did not know that. Mine ends in 813. Thanks for the clarification.

--Peter

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I have an 813, but haven't found a reliable source that can flash CSL or Motorsports programs into the unit. Has anyone got a proven source, with documentation of the difference?

I ask, because you can code any of the units, but flashing the full software has proven to be vaporware from all that I've seen and my friends who are helping reverse engineer the flashing process. I'd love to be able to send mine off to someone to flash it but have only heard "I know/heard about some guy in Europe/UK who'll do it for $many"

My big concern is that there's a real possibility of paying for nothing with such a nebulous service offered.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 05-09-2016 at 02:41 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer

Mine is a 10.0960-0817.3 (2 282 422 BMW part number)

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I have an 813, but haven't found a reliable source that can flash CSL or Motorsports programs into the unit. Has anyone got a proven source, with documentation of the difference?

I ask, because you can code any of the units, but flashing the full software has proven to be vaporware from all that I've seen and my friends who are helping reverse engineer the flashing process. I'd love to be able to send mine off to someone to flash it but have only heard "I know/heard about some guy in Europe/UK who'll do it for $many"

My big concern is that there's a real possibility of paying for nothing with such a nebulous service offered.
    I've never read anything super concrete about the CSL code being that much better than the plain jane version. Perhaps if you're using the DSC portion it is. Since the CSL/Comp Package cars had the M-track mode which allowed additional slip angle before it stepped in. But again, I've never seen anything concrete on why it's better (if it is).

Mine is a 10.0960-0817.3 (2 282 422 BMW part number)
    Never came across that number. Is yours a Post-2002 or pre-2002? They switched to the later version (mk60) at that time.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I've never read anything super concrete about the CSL code being that much better than the plain jane version. Perhaps if you're using the DSC portion it is. Since the CSL/Comp Package cars had the M-track mode which allowed additional slip angle before it stepped in. But again, I've never seen anything concrete on why it's better (if it is).

Never came across that number. Is yours a Post-2002 or pre-2002? They switched to the later version (mk60) at that time.
    According to INPA info, it's a 2003/06. It's the CSL specific part number (according to this post: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=134)
    Last edited by ScotcH; 05-09-2016 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    According to INPA info, it's a 2003/06. It's the CSL specific part number (according to this post: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...&postcount=134)
    Oh, that makes sense. And then the 813 can be basically turned into that version with the flash.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Oh, that makes sense. And then the 813 can be basically turned into that version with the flash.
    If we can find a source/evidence of this elusive flash!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast