Thread: OP(P)S/ICOM error with E61 and Progman v32

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330D Touring

OP(P)S/ICOM error with E61 and Progman v32

I'll start with an apology for this one because after having just spent the last 2 hours trawling this site I know there is already a massive amount written that almost certainly covers what I need to know.....however there is so much, and none of it EXACTLY matches my scenario so I figured I'd take a chance on someone having sympathy for a noob. Which I most definitely am!...

I bought a USB/OBD2 cable & software bundle from a high scoring ebay seller and followed the 55 page pdf without too much trouble. I am fairly confident of the vmware/networking side being ok (DIS v57 works nicely and I can ping the SSS vm from my winXP host) but INPA failed with an error along the lines of '...doesnt match the expected ID...' (sorry, forgot to note down exact words of this one). I initially wasnt too worried about this because DIS was working, so I put it down to the fact that my car is a 2006 E61 and the nearest option I had on the INPA main screen was E60.....reasonable/possible?

The main problem I am writing about (which may well be related to the INPA problem) is that my Progman v32 session fails with : 'It is necessary to use OP(P)S/ICOM for the connected vehicle for programming/coding control units'.

I found several threads suggesting I might need to apply a changes.iso (or changes2.iso) file to switch between interface type, but the problem I have with that is that my SSS vm is so locked down that I cant actually apply any iso! randomy talks about logging in as Administrator, but I have no Start menu from which to kick that procedure off - I've sent ctrl-alt-del from the vmware gui, tried intercepting the boot with shift or F8 to get into safe mode , all without success. I have literally found no way to access the operating system at all.

Anyone else had this? am I barking up the wrong tree completely? (Without making me trawl through another 25 page thread please! )

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    1999 E39
    Hi mate.

If you're using windows vista or 7 you need to use a tool called ERD commander to get windows on your virtual machine to boot to the normal environment. Then using start - run - erdregedit you can change the regsitry file to boot into XP so as you can aplly the required changes CD. This will copy the required files, then revert the vm to boot to progman once you restart it.

If you are using an XP computer, the instructions to edit the registry are in the first or second post of the sticky at the top of this forum.
    Last edited by robtheviking; 01-02-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    To access the machine itself check http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1401774 Especially the part where he mounts one of the drives from the VM, and accesses the registry that way. Set the "BASE31\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon" key to "explorer.exe".

Goodluck

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330D Touring
    Thanks a lot for the quick response guys, I really appreciate it. I'll have a play with those things tonight and let you know if I'm still struggling.

Cheers

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330D Touring
    OK chaps thanks again for your help so far. I think I am a lot closer to being fully up and running - I can now start a Progman session and it basically looks like its working : the 'Load SW' option brought up a list of 20-30 modules, at least 10 of which it said needed updating, but 2 of them didn't respond (DWA and one more I've forgotten).

Does that sound about what you would expect for a 2006 car? The DWA one also seems to be preventing me from accessing the CKM option - after a long wait it eventually spits out this error ...

'Error during readout of CAR settings
    Following control unit(s) has/have
    responded incorrectly or failed to respond
    .DWA'

Have I still got setup problems? or is it just as simple as actually having a dead DWA? If so how come the car hasn't already told me this?

Also, I'm still not convinced the INPA problem I mentioned in my first post is safe to ignore? There is no E61 option on the main menu, so I select E60, but in the engine menu there is no match for my M57N2, which I have assumed explains the 'Versions do not match....' error I get after selecting M57.

Should I expect INPA to be error free when I select E60? if not is there a way I can get INPA working cleanly with my E61?

Any more help will be much appreciated please. Thanks again.

My Cars
    M10
    Hi,

Which version of INPA you are using? Looks like you are using an old version of this software.

Also, there is an *ini file in the INPA folder where you can comment out any of engines.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330D Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by wyccka
    Hi,

Which version of INPA you are using? Looks like you are using an old version of this software.

Also, there is an *ini file in the INPA folder where you can comment out any of engines.
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry because I should have posted earlier to say I have now got Progman working ok, my problem was that the DWA module had been unplugged!

So I'm confident that DIS and Progman are set up ok, but I would still be interested to get INPA working....I don't know what version I'm running, but it is almost certainly old. What is the latest version and where can I get it?

(and while I'm at it, what are the latest versions of Progman and DIS?)

Thanks again!

My Cars
    M10
    Quote Originally Posted by hicksde View Post
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry because I should have posted earlier to say I have now got Progman working ok, my problem was that the DWA module had been unplugged!

So I'm confident that DIS and Progman are set up ok, but I would still be interested to get INPA working....I don't know what version I'm running, but it is almost certainly old. What is the latest version and where can I get it?

(and while I'm at it, what are the latest versions of Progman and DIS?)

Thanks again!
    Latest version of INPA is 5.0.4 (EA-90X) (not fully english).

Try this site http://www.mediaarhiv.net/32781-inpa-ea-90x.html

Latest official version of PROGMAN is V32, DIS - V57. Newest 3 gen. software are ISTA/P for coding/programming, ISTA/D for diagnosis.

Last edited by wyccka; 01-11-2012 at 06:04 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330D Touring
    Thanks again for the quick reply!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by robtheviking View Post
    Hi mate.

If you're using windows vista or 7 you need to use a tool called ERD commander to get windows on your virtual machine to boot to the normal environment. Then using start - run - erdregedit you can change the regsitry file to boot into XP so as you can aplly the required changes CD. This will copy the required files, then revert the vm to boot to progman once you restart it.

If you are using an XP computer, the instructions to edit the registry are in the first or second post of the sticky at the top of this forum.

This thread so far helped me with my issue, but than got stuck at determining VO. I followed it to the T, and I got my windows 7 tablet to open explorer.exe through regedit, it rebooted into windows, than opened SSS from there. But still getting "it is necessary to use OPPS/ICOM for the connected vehicle for programming/coding." Please help, been stuck on this and googling these threads for days. Any guru's out there
    ?