Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 540i-LS3-TR6060

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Ended up using the lower 528 hose which is what JF used.

The two sections of the upper hose were created from a Gates 22625. Motor side could have been the original Camaro but mine was damaged from an accident and GM only sells the whole assembly.
    540i-LS3-TR6060 swap thread

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by zr6sbc View Post

I anticipated having to make an adaptor to thread the 540 temperature sender into the LS cylinder head. For me, the LS3 head thread was the same as the temperature sender...? Other threads said otherwise which makes me think the LS3 heads have a different thread size ..
    My L59 heads had the same thread as the M5 temperature sender. My concern is that there were only maybe two threads worth of contact when it was fully seated. Rao confirmed the same and has had it in for a couple years now with no issue.

My Cars
    357is (e30 w/LS1)
    Hope the mounts are reasonably stiff, preventing too much engine rock. The cooler clearance is still a bit tight. Oh ya, had to relocate the lower coolant mount in the cooler block. It was pointing right at the frame. Cut off the boss, machined a new flat and tapped for a pipe thread.

Your engine mounts will be just fine. Very similar to ours in our E30. We did a lot of engineering on our mounts, which are made from 1-1/2" A36 pipe (1.90 OD x .14W).

Plenty of strength and stiffness.

Stress analysis on engine mounts

E30-LS1 Swap Guide and Kits, email us at e30ls1@gmail.com !!! or check our website e30ls1.wordpress.com

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Thanks for the feedback. I was hypothetically speaking of deflection in the rubber portion of the mount.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    If you are concerned about the stock 528i mounts being a little too soft, there is a stiffer option available. see the link below.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1724349

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    If you are concerned about the stock 528i mounts being a little too soft, there is a stiffer option available. see the link below.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1724349
    I followed your lead and did use these mounts ...

My Cars
    357is (e30 w/LS1)
    Thanks for the feedback. I was hypothetically speaking of deflection in the rubber portion of the mount.
    Thanks for the clarification. We used M60/62 BMW rubber mounts. They look like the ones Schitzo showed above, but have an M10 and an M8 stud on the lower side, with an M10 stud on the top side. Note that these mounts are handed as a LH and an RH

E30-LS1 Swap Guide and Kits, email us at e30ls1@gmail.com !!! or check our website e30ls1.wordpress.com

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    A bit of progress.

Accelerator pedal mount. Camaro drive by wire pedal. Plate attaches to original pedal stop thread and original pedal pivot shaft (will likely add a clamp between the pivot shaft and the sheet metal). Pedal feels a bit low but damn these are tall assemblies.

ECU and fuse box mount. The not shown fuse box is overkill (has fuses for everything forward of the Camaro firewall) but I wanted to keep the wiring harness in tack. Still deciding how much of the Camaro electrical system to use.

PS line routing. Not very interesting unless you're tackling this swap. May reduce the hose length since it gets a bit close to the exhaust.

Oil cooler coolant from block. Drilled out the factory O-ring style fitting for a 1/2 NPT and went AN fittings.

Air Intake. Forced to go to the driver's side because the Camaro factory harness puts the ECU on the passenger side location. Intake tube resting on the heater hose isn't ideal. Air box came with the 528i. Looks to be a Eurosport version.

Trans and PS cooler mounts. After a bit of scribbling, came up with some BMW to AN adaptors. A socket head cap screw would provide better access due to the diameter of the adaptors (fitting a socket inbetween the two adaptors is a bit tough).

Trans lines. Whether it's the house or car, plumbing always takes on a life of its own. Had to combine a bunch of fittings to get from the GM O-ring adaptor to AN. I'm sure there's a better way.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Did you find those adapters or made em.. I didn't search hard when it came to it, just made a set from the oe hoses and braze on an fittings. Sent them and the driveshaft adapters out for some sorry of anti rust coating. Maybe I will make more as its not expensive and offer em for a cheap $. Anyway lookin good!
    I'm draggin A on mine.. I've gotten distracted with things on the car that could wait till it runs :/
    Clint
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Did you find those adapters or made em.. I didn't search hard when it came to it, just made a set from the oe hoses and braze on an fittings. Sent them and the driveshaft adapters out for some sorry of anti rust coating. Maybe I will make more as its not expensive and offer em for a cheap $. Anyway lookin good!
    I'm draggin A on mine.. I've gotten distracted with things on the car that could wait till it runs :/
    Clint
    Made the adaptors. I'm really getting the itch to have this thing off the lift and driving.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Great stuff in here that will definitely help me with my swap. When I read your first post, I thought there was going to be another LSx touring on here

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Nice build here!

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Comin around the diff.

So, how did you go into 2x 540 mufflers since you go into a single after the diff?

And where are the Camaro resonators? Just checking out what you did! Wish mine looked as pretty
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Quote Originally Posted by James39 View Post
    So, how did you go into 2x 540 mufflers since you go into a single after the diff?
    Looks like you essentially kept a true dual system. I replaced the 540 resonator with another 540 muffler. At the muffler entrance, my system looks just like a factory 540 setup. Like the factory system, both mufflers are still fed by the same 2-3/4" pipe so, yah, my system is a bit restricted. A local forum member dinged me for the ugly transition into the 540 pipe.

And where are the Camaro resonators? Just checking out what you did! Wish mine looked as pretty
    I'll need to get a better picture. The resonators sit where the 540's original cats resided.

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Looks like you essentially kept a true dual system. I replaced the 540 resonator with another 540 muffler. At the muffler entrance, my system looks just like a factory 540 setup. Like the factory system, both mufflers are still fed by the same 2-3/4" pipe so, yah, my system is a bit restricted. A local forum member dinged me for the ugly transition into the 540 pipe.

I'll need to get a better picture. The resonators sit where the 540's original cats resided.
    Ok, now I see. Yeah, with an LS3, you're not to worried about going down to a single 2-3/4? As you can tell, I'm no exhaust expert
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Ok, now I see. Yeah, with an LS3, you're not to worried about going down to a single 2-3/4? As you can tell, I'm no exhaust expert
    It's less than a foot of pipe, kind of like a long cross over. So, maybe it's not too negative? When it's up and running I may section and add tube to make it an oval shape.

Somewhere I found data that a single 3.5" diameter pipe would handle the LS3 advertised hp.

My Cars
    Appliances
    Don't confuse "handle" or "support" with optimized. These LS motors, all gens, LOVE to breathe...in and out. With the proper tune, it's ALL upside to make the tubes big. Smooth transitions and true duals all the way out will pay big dividends. An interesting thing to note is that MANY speed shops are doing WAY fewer "cat backs" on new Camaros and Vettes because the factory duals are so good. Most just do it for sound now. While the welds are nice, this last pic shows a big choke point and may even add some drone. Replace the factory muff with a dual in/dual out muff, pop both tubes into and out of it, and you will free up noticeable power. You may even lose drone too, depending on the size and flavor of muffler.

This is a SUPER awesome build and I hate to see you leave so much EASY HP on the table...maybe some MPGS too. Seriously, on your build, this 2into1 is costing you 15hp+ at the tire.

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    For the curious, here's a shot of LS3 engine oil cooler. Had lop off part of the casting and add the odd pipe fitting arrangement to clear the frame.

Schitzo was kind of enough to share his fan shroud designs. I took his idea and went a slightly different direction by keeping the GrandAm fan mount housing. This did make the whole assembly a bit fatter.

Bought the entire fan assembly from rockauto. Doesn't look like the quality is quite GM but it will due. Related, I dropped a fan and two parts exploded off the housing. Sure seems more brittle than you'd expect.

Bottom side of shroud.

GrandAm fans mounted to shroud. Check out the missing tab which rocketed across the floor when I dropped the fan.
    Shitzo's staggered his fans to gain a bit more space. That would have helped because, with the radiator hoses in place, this thing doesn't quite drop in.

Shroud with fans - inner view.

Mounted - top side.

Trans cooler line shot. Related, from my read, the TR6060 pump outlet is on the passenger side of the transmission.

Some items on my list ...
    Mounting the 2010 Camaro clutch pedal position sensor. This thing is a potentiometer. Sounds like the ECU is monitoring both engaged and disengaged (by the return voltage). Not sure if this can be simply two voltages or if it also looks at the variations..

Damn AC compressor manifold is burning my time. Purchased a block for an LS2. Beautiful looking piece that has two male threads to mount universal hoses. Fits the compressor great but the hoses will crash into the exhaust manifolds. May need to butcher the Camaro unit..

Coolant tank. Here I thought there was plenty of room for such things. My fan shroud and the Camaro fuse box sucked up quite a bit of room. May need to make something like JF's or maybe purchase from him. If so, may need to cut up my CAI box. JF, are you selling your coolant overflow tanks?
    Last edited by zr6sbc; 11-11-2012 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Looks like you've made a lot of progress and you don't need to use my m5 box anymore.

Sent you a text about your 540 motor, wifeys timing chains or bearings let go. Not sure wich, yet.

I'm stoked to see this thing finished.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Looking good.

What did you end up doing with your original BMW V8 DBC pedal and throttle cable assembly?

Also, did you have to modify the Camaro clutch line to work with the BMW clutch master cylinder like the E36 guys do?

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    What did you end up doing with your original BMW V8 DBC pedal and throttle cable assembly?

Removed the cable and slipped the plastic pedal off the pivot shaft. I think this thread has a picture showing the DBW pedal mounted where the plastic pedal once lived.

Also, did you have to modify the Camaro clutch line to work with the BMW clutch master cylinder like the E36 guys do?

The 2010 Camaro line had basically the same insert as the E39 clutch master cylinder line. I bent the Camaro line a bit and slipped it in. Also think I show a few pictures in the thread. If I had a second chance, I'd install a remote bleeder line. The stock location is a bear to get to.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    yeah, i noticed the picture, but wasn't sure if you still had the old assembly. i am actually going the opposite direction of you (swapping from BMW DBW to GM DBC). I bought an I-6 DBC pedal assembly (with cable) but it's far too short. Do you still have the old cable? Maybe I could make it work with the I-6 DBC gas pedal.

I also saw the picture of the 2010 Camaro line. Did it fit with no modification whatsoever? Pressure tested it yet? Out of curiosity what was the length of it? I do plan on buying a speed bleeder when it's time.

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    yeah, i noticed the picture, but wasn't sure if you still had the old assembly. i am actually going the opposite direction of you (swapping from BMW DBW to GM DBC). I bought an I-6 DBC pedal assembly (with cable) but it's far too short. Do you still have the old cable? Maybe I could make it work with the I-6 DBC gas pedal.

I also saw the picture of the 2010 Camaro line. Did it fit with no modification whatsoever? Pressure tested it yet? Out of curiosity what was the length of it? I do plan on buying a speed bleeder when it's time.
    The old cable housing was broken from age and I pitched it. I would think that Summit has generic cable sets that might be made to work.

Fitting went into E39 cylinder without mods. Picture in thread shows my best guess on length, but it was plenty long for the application. Not pressure tested yet. Project stalled in 2012.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    If I can remove my cable in one piece, you are welcome to it, nsogiba.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    Your wagon was a 6 cylinder in its past life, correct? If so, the cable is far too short. I need one from a V8 car or a universal style “cut to length” one online. Thanks though!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast