Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 2001 E39 530D Audio Upgrade Options (UK Car)

My Cars
    2001 530D Sport

2001 E39 530D Audio Upgrade Options (UK Car)

Hi all,

My 3rd BMW, last one was a E60 545i SE with the 13 speaker Logic 7 system which was 'decent'.

Just got myself a E39, enjoying the car but like many others, man, what awful sound.

Ive got the 16:9 Satnav system - im 50/50 at removing this, not sure. I do not have DSP so that is good but im confused what I actually have - cant find any source of an amp either.

So, my thoughts are:-

1. Keep the existing headunit (tape with 6 CD changer in boot) and find a way to get low or high level inputs into an Audison SRX4 amp that I have spare. I would then upgrade the fronts to a set of DLS CA6 speakers that I have.

2. Go one step further, remove the SatNav 16:9 unit, install a Pioneer PR88II unit that I have spare and use the Audison amp with the DLS speakers.

If I take option 1, I would sell the Pioneer P88 and potentially fund another amp and a sub or if money does not allow, a sub and see if I can run the 2nd set of SRX4 channels to the sub - might be a bit underpowered but it cant be nearly as bad as the current system.

I like the OEM look but the Pioneer P88 is a decent looking unit and very good for SQ and having the ability to front load CDs is a joy compared to a shuttle. The other downside of not having the factory unit is loosing some of the info from the onboard system although I know that I can get some of this from the small screen on the dash.

Ive looked for an amp - no sign of one - there is a TV tuner in the boot - no amp there. I have no speakers in the rear doors as far I can tell but I do have some sound coming from the rear parcel shelf.

Does anyone know what 'option' audio I have and considerations on the items above?

Thanks in advance.

Chaz

BM54 unit - is this the amp in my car?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/business-se...rover/93601510

It has CoAx connectors - thought this has something to do with the SatNav / TV system - perhaps it is also the amp?

It has a part number which is 6911221 .... what exactly is this unit? TV Tuner of sorts?
    Last edited by Chazaxl; 12-31-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    The BM54 unit is the radio, whats in your dash is the remote display face for the radio. Sounds like you have optioned navigation, but base sound without an amplifier.
    Last edited by Stück; 12-31-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2001 530D Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    The BM54 unit is the radio, whats in your dash is the remote display face for the radio. Sounds like you have optioned navigation, but base sound without an amplifier.
    Ok, thanks. So I could look at taking some signals from the BM54, either cutting / taking a connector off as high level inputs into my amp or via a LOC or alternately soldering onto the BM54 unit itself to take 4 x RCA outputs?

This assumes of course that I keep the headunit - removal and replacing of it with the Pioneer P88 is of course a different story.

Does anyone know how 'good' or 'bad' the SQ is from the headunit if taken at the input stage - I dont expect it to match the P88 that has Brown Burrs preamps etc but can it be considered 'decent'?

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    The BM54 has modest sound quality without DSP in the equation. You are right that you can convert the 4 channel output from the BM54 box to RCA level with a PAC adapter or the like. I suspect it uses a standard 1bit DAC, and i know it uses the same cheap opamps that most other factory level stuff uses.

Any higher end headunit with a 20/24bit burr brown setup or similar is going to blow it out of the water on the sound quality front.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    2001 530D Sport
    Just looked at the specs for my P88 - odd, thought the D/A was better.

Specifications
    Tuner Features DEH-P88RS-II
    Radio Data System (RDS) Yes
    Best Stations Memory (BSM) Yes
    PTY Search Yes
    CD Player Features DEH-P88RS-II
    CD Text Yes
    Disc Title Memory Yes
    Audio DEH-P88RS-II
    Built in DSP Yes
    Main features DEH-P88RS-II
    Max. Power Output MOSFET 50W x 4
    Audio DEH-P88RS-II
    D/A Converter 1-bit Burr-Brown D/A Converter
    Graphic Equaliser 16-band, with 5 pre-set curves and 2 custom curves
    Main features DEH-P88RS-II
    Tuner AM/FM
    Plays CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC (iTunes)
    Front Panel Auto-flap mechanism (motorised)
    Display Illumination White
    Button Illumination White
    Rotary Commander Yes
    Remote Control Included
    Multi-Language Display Yes
    Cellular telephone auto muting Yes
    Connectivity DEH-P88RS-II
    Aux-in Yes (Rear-In)
    Hard-wired Remote Input Yes
    High Voltage Output 5V
    IP Bus Yes
    RCA Preout 3 (F + R + S.W or NON-FAD)