Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Code used E39 DSC module w/ NCS Expert

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5

DIY - Code used E39 DSC module w/ NCS Expert

The DSC module failed on my ’00 528iM. I shipped to Module Masters. MM said it was not repairable and sold me a repaired unit w/ 5 yr warranty. I installed repaired module and speedometer, odometer and cruise control now functioned. However, the DSC light, triangle w/ circular arrow, remained lit. INPA/Ediabas reported (2) error codes. Steering Angle sensor and EGS module (AT trans) CAN bus speed error. Steering angle calibration was completed thru INPA, code was cleared and remained cleared Apparently repaired module came from an AT vehicle, mine was a MT. I could not clear this error, coding was necessary.

The following procedure worked for me, YMMV. You have been warned.
    ======================
    Install module.
    Fileè Load Profile

=======================
    Choose Expertmode

=============================

Choose F1 VIN/ZCS/FA

===========================

Choose F3 ZCS/FA f.ECU

===============================

Choose E39 Chassis

================================

Choose ECU, OK. I don’t believe it matters which ECU. NCS Expert is going to read VIN/ZCS/FA information from one of these modules. I choose IKE.

========================

NCS fills in vehicle data.
    Choose F3, ZCS/FA f. ECU.

====================================

Below “get coded” is a list of all the modules that can be coded.
    Be careful here. Choose F4 Process ECU to code a SINGLE MODULE.

===========================

Choose ECU to be coded

==================================

Note “get coded” now shows only DSC.
    (3) files to be used are shown below JOBNAME
    Choose F3 Execute Job.

================================

Coding was finished in ~ 5 seconds.
    DSC light on dash switched off.
    EGS CAN bus speed error was no longer present after checking with INPA. There were no new codes stored for DSC module.

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606
    Last edited by pshovest; 10-14-2022 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fix formating

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Thanks
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Paul S,
    I'm in the middle of doing the exact same repair today. In my case, I have a new, uncoded module. I will follow your the steps to code it but I have a question about the steering angle calibration coding. Can you posts the INPA steps for that?

Yesterday, I did something similar to what you described but I don't think it took. I looked at "Change job" and there are several different "Jobs" there. In my version they're written in German. Here's a screen shot. Which one should be selected?

Last edited by geobrick; 01-07-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    geobrick,
    I am using INPA 3.01, Ediabas 6.4.3, NCS Expert 3.0.8 from the shared site. Enthusiasts far more knowledgable then me claim this is the most complete version and best for E39's.
    What versions are you using?
    What error codes does INPA show for your DSC module?

If I was coding a new module I think I would follow the exact same procedure I used.

Do errors result if you follow my procedure?

If you look at my next to last screen shot Job Name = SG_Codieren
    is listed. Perhaps this is the right choice.

Steering angle calibration: ....I'm doing this from memory...
    From INPA 3.01
    "Shift F8 Special Tests"
    "Steering Angle adjustment E46"
    Then there is a "Tune" button I recall.
    Steps were self explanatory

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606
    =================

Quote Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
    Paul S,
    I'm in the middle of doing the exact same repair today. In my case, I have a new, uncoded module. I will follow your the steps to code it but I have a question about the steering angle calibration coding. Can you posts the INPA steps for that?

Yesterday, I was did something similar to what you described but I don't think it took. I looked at "Change job" and there are several different "Jobs" there. In my version they're written in German. Here's a screen shot. Which one should be selected?

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    geobrick,
    I am using INPA 3.01, Ediabas 6.4.3, NCS Expert 3.0.8 from the shared site. Enthusiasts far more knowledgable then me claim this is the most complete version and best for E39's.
    What versions are you using?
    What error codes does INPA show for your DSC module?

If I was coding a new module I think I would follow the exact same procedure I used.

Do errors result if you follow my procedure?

If you look at my next to last screen shot Job Name = SG_Codieren
    is listed. Perhaps this is the right choice.

Steering angle calibration: ....I'm doing this from memory...
    From INPA 3.01
    "Shift F8 Special Tests"
    "Steering Angle adjustment E46"
    Then there is a "Tune" button I recall.
    Steps were self explanatory

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606
    =================
    Sorry for the delayed reply, I ended up using DIS to do the Steering angle sensor calibration. After that, I noticed the special test area in INPA and saw the test but I didn't think it applied becase it said E46 and I have an E39.

INPA is 3.01
    EDAIBAS is 6.4.3
    NCS Expert is 3.0.8

It seems we're using the same tools except I'm using the carsoft 6.5 serial interface.

INPA won't talk to my DSC module. I get this:

INPA also reports a mismatch when I try to read the Steering angle sensor but it's just a warning and it lets me proceed.

Have you read about something called the "end of belt test"? It's the last step in the TIS for doing a DSC module swap. See a description in this post http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....ull=1#post5799 I haven't done it and I don't know where to find it in DIS.

My Cars
    4 x Assorted BMWs
    Great stuff
    Thanks for posting this.
    BMW I Own
    E24 1983 635csi Race Car Build (Schnitzer Replica) http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21792
    E24 633csi 4 Speed Manual
    E24 635csi /// 1986 4 Speed Auto
    E24 635csi /// 1986 Getrag Manual
    E23 735i 1986 *** 4 Speed Auto

My Business

https://www.facebook.com/pages/BMWre...68407960016698

DIY E24 Dash Removal
    http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20630&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Geobrick,
    Glad to hear you got it working. I had read that the INPA E46 Steering angle sensor calibration was suitable for E39's and E53's. Fortunately it worked. With your '01 E39 I believe you're using the OBD connector. I'm using the underhood 20 pin DLC connector. It seems there is either a communication problem with your setup (CarSoft interface) or there's something about an uncoded module that prevents it from being read with INPA. I'm curious if you have any trouble reading IHKA, Kombi, MID, modules with INPA?

I was not prompted to do the "end of belt" test with NCS Expert. However when I coded car with EasyDIS/GT1 for auto door locks @5 MPH, I was prompted to do the "ignition off for 10 seconds" part of the end of belt test.

Paul S
    BMW CCA 69606

Quote Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
    Sorry for the delayed reply, I ended up using DIS to do the Steering angle sensor calibration. After that, I noticed the special test area in INPA and saw the test but I didn't think it applied becase it said E46 and I have an E39.

INPA is 3.01
    EDAIBAS is 6.4.3
    NCS Expert is 3.0.8

It seems we're using the same tools except I'm using the carsoft 6.5 serial interface.

INPA won't talk to my DSC module. I get this:

INPA also reports a mismatch when I try to read the Steering angle sensor but it's just a warning and it lets me proceed.

Have you read about something called the "end of belt test"? It's the last step in the TIS for doing a DSC module swap. See a description in this post http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....ull=1#post5799 I haven't done it and I don't know where to find it in DIS.

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Yes. I have the OBD connector. Nothing under the hood. I can read everything else with INPA (I don't think my car has the MID).

Even now that the trifecta warning lights are gone and there are no error codes (so I'm assuming it's coded), I get the SYS-0012 error with INPA. I also get a missmatch warning about the LWS (steering angle sensor) but the program continues to let me access that module and run whatever tests I want.

Update: I found this post about the coding and calibration steps on another forum. It seems to make sense since there are other sensors in the DSC.
    Last edited by geobrick; 01-08-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added new information

My Cars
    BMW 530

Finished the remaining calibrations

I finished the remaining calibration steps but the end of belt test didn't work like the instructions in the link I provided. Maybe I'll check TIS for a procedure that's specific to my car.

Here are some screen shots relating to my other post (or this post if it gets combined).

The Calibration of the Lateral Acceleration Sensor.

Screen shots showing INPA Mismatch Warning on Steering Angle Sensor

But even with the warning, I was able to proceed

I'm not sure what the mismatch is.

And I still get the SYS-0012 Error in INPA when reading the DSC Module.
    2001 530 (E39)

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    very interesting post..

I have one question, what do I need to code in my ASC+T/ABS module when I change from automatic transmission to manual transmission?

Thanks,

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Not 100% sure..but Id guess that its looking for an input via the bus from the AT.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    2000 540i/6

2000 E39 540i DSC Module coded, but still have Christmas lights on IP?

Just coded my brand new DSC module with NCS Expert 3.1.0 and it completed successfully, but I still have the yellow DSC, BRAKE & ABS lights that won't go away.

I see the steering angle data in INPALOAD,and the wheel looks centered according to the graph.

What else am I missing here?

Regards,
    Steve Kent
    Houston, TX

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Steering sensor error usually only lights the DSC light.
    What errors does INPA report?
    With IPNA I believe you can see live wheel speed data when driving.

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    I will check the errors out. What is odd is that I never lost my speedo when I was driving around with the un-coded new DSC module.

That is a good thought on the wheel speeds. I'll check that out - need to find a way to drive the car with the 20 pin diag connector connected.

I could not find wheel speeds when I had E39 chassis selected. I tried INPA version 5.00 and 5.01.

I used the E46 chassis with INPA v5.00 and was able to see the wheel speeds.

Also checked the steering angle sensor and it is dead nuts on. I can't figure out how to reset it even thought it appears to be ok.

Steve
    Last edited by skent; 11-11-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    I'm at a loss.

The wheel speeds look perfect, the steering angle is dead on, and I have all the right versions of the programs running error-free.

Using INPA, no error codes and I can control various things like radio functions, look at engine rpm, etc., so I know communications are OK.

I can code the DSC module with NCS EXPERT and it claims that it is successful.

Problem is, it doesn't work.

I still have the yellow DSC, ABS and BRAKE lights on the IP.

Anyone have any ideas before I do something drastic and take it to the stealership?

My Cars
    BMW 530
    Have you tried DIS? See my post above
    "I ended up using DIS to do the Steering angle sensor calibration."
    2001 530 (E39)

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Hard to believe you've got lights and there are no errors reported. Are you certain you're reading the DSC module? I'm doing this from memory.........I think it's under E39==>Chassis==> DSC5 or E39==>Body==>DSC5. Can you post your screen shots that say "no errors"?

Steering Sensor Calibration is under "Special Tests" on first INPA screen. It says E46, but it works on E39. I would not perform Steering Sensor Calibration UNLESS you find error message saying calibration is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skent View Post
    ............I still have the yellow DSC, ABS and BRAKE lights on the IP..........

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    Using INPA, selecting: E39/Chassis/ABS...DSC, Etc.

I get:
    Variant Checking
    SYS-0012: IDENTIFICATION ERROR. Program will be stopped.

I get this in all versions that I've tried. I've heard of others getting this error too, don't know if there is a way around it.

Best Regards,
    Steve Kent

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    This explains the problem. You're not reading the DSC module. Start a new thread describing the cable you use, INPA version and perhaps someone can help.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by skent View Post
    Using INPA, selecting: E39/Chassis/ABS...DSC, Etc.

I get:
    Variant Checking
    SYS-0012: IDENTIFICATION ERROR. Program will be stopped.

I get this in all versions that I've tried. I've heard of others getting this error too, don't know if there is a way around it.

Best Regards,
    Steve Kent

Since you got 2000 model you need to use the under the hood round diagnostic port to access other modules than DME.

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    I am. I use an adapter to go from the 20-pin to my USB/DLC cable.

As suggested, I started a new thread titled:
    Replaced DSC Module, attempting to re-code & no communications?

Best Regards,
    Steve

My Cars
    E60
    Please friends ... I changed the steering angle sensor on a bmw x3 e83 ... I have to make an encoding of the sensor is then an alignment .. I want to know what procedure should I use .. I bought a edin k + can be do-it-self with the software INPA. give me a step by step guide for not make mistakes .. I do not know the software .. thanks

My Cars
    2003 330ci
    Read on another forum that ncs 3.0.8 will recode the module. Inpa 5.0 won't do the steering angle. Was told to get inpa 4.4.7 to do that.

here is the link
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895699

Hey guys, I have a question. I have the same exact problem as the OP. I followed his steps (except that I selected E46, because I have 325i 2002), BUT, as you can see from the screenshot, it does not show me an option to code DSC module.no ddsc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok guys, I figured out that DSC is also MK60 (for whatever reason) and I coded it. The coding went thorugh, but the light did not disappear. I checked for errors and the code for incorrect VIN was still there. But then I noticed another thing. On the step where you sellect your chasis and then your ECU I have 4 options (AKMB, ALSZ, EWS and KMB) When I select either AKMB or EWS it gives me an error message. I can however select KMB and ALSZ. But the strange thing is, when I select KMB it showed the wrong VIN! When I select ALSZ it shows the correct VIN and tried to code MK60 with that, but it did not fix the problem. What else do I need to code? Because obviously something else is also needs to be coded. (BTW, the KMB is not on the list of code-able modules).

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Perhaps you don't have a coding issue. Did you install a different module? What errors does INPA report for the DSC/MK60?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast