Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M3 GT Imola Individual

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Way too much win in this thread it's rediculous!

My Cars
    E24, E34 x2, E36
    yes the car is coming along nicely. not sure I dig the mudflaps but if they perform a useful function its all good.

The brembo upgrade is good, but to get best use from it upgrade the brake lines. Also on the 15mm spacer you should use one on the rear as well to balance out the look.

U will be happy with the cams, but you should install the Dave F back on as it works better than the factory box for power, and makes a nice intake sound with it.

perhaps you should add some -ve camber to the front. It will tuck the wheels in abit, and they really handle well with some added camber. for road use prob -2.5deg and a tiny bit of toe in like 0.3mm per side. U can add camber by the obvious camber plate method, but U can also swap the plates from right side to left side (and vise versa), or simply insall a shim washer on the lower 2 strut housing bolts. approx -1deg camber for every 2mm shim. dont forget to put locktite on the bolts.
    BMW’s
    90 E34 M5
    84 E24 M635csi standalone ecu with coil on plug
    94 E34 540i/6 SC 5-17psi Flex fuel/standalone ecu
    97 Z3 2.8
    97 E36 M3 euro SC still u/c

OTHERS
    11 Audi S5 APR stg2
    19 Volkswagen Amarok V6

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Quote Originally Posted by GazM3 View Post
    yes the car is coming along nicely. not sure I dig the mudflaps but if they perform a useful function its all good.

The brembo upgrade is good, but to get best use from it upgrade the brake lines. Also on the 15mm spacer you should use one on the rear as well to balance out the look.

U will be happy with the cams, but you should install the Dave F back on as it works better than the factory box for power, and makes a nice intake sound with it.

perhaps you should add some -ve camber to the front. It will tuck the wheels in abit, and they really handle well with some added camber. for road use prob -2.5deg and a tiny bit of toe in like 0.3mm per side. U can add camber by the obvious camber plate method, but U can also swap the plates from right side to left side (and vise versa), or simply insall a shim washer on the lower 2 strut housing bolts. approx -1deg camber for every 2mm shim. dont forget to put locktite on the bolts.
    The mudflaps are there for functionality, but I do actually like the look of them. Most other cars I have owned I have removed the standard moulded mudflaps, I’m not sure why I like them on the m3!
    The brakes lines have already been all changed to braided stainless steel ones. I am thinking of changing the rear brakes to e46 m3 ones, so depending on how that works I might space the rears too.
    I have actually sold the Dave F kit, but I might buy another sometime.
    I’m not sure what to do about the front camber, I’m already using the x brace, and want some Eibach ARB’s. I’m not sure if I drive fast enough to make enough use of the camber lol

Quote Originally Posted by JCooper View Post
    Thanks
    Last edited by M3GTii; 04-24-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    E46 M3 Rear brakes arrived today. At 328/329mm 2piece discs they are a lot bigger than the standard evo ones. They will match my front e46 m3 (325mm) discs.

They need a good clean up, essentially these are only to trial fit, I might just buy new discs and reconditioned calipers (and run yellowstuff pads to match what I already use)

The distance between holes on the carrier (couldn’t find a tape measure!), I’ll have to check what the e36 ones are.

They aren’t a straight fit, as the handbrake shoes on the e46 m3 are bigger and IIRC mounted to the RTA.

The first pic is of the e36 m3 shoes, and the second are e46 m3 shoes…..

I should be able to swap to an e46 m3 rear trailing arm, first I’m going to try them on a spare e36 m3 RTA (buying it tonight hopefully) and see if the carriers will bolt up.

Here is a picture from Bimmerforums.com of the e46 m3 RTA fitted, it is the only one I can find with e46 m3 rear brakes.
    Last edited by M3GTii; 04-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    My strut brace landed today (Thanks to Fernando from here on bimmerforums), it’s an original BMW GT/Motorsport strut brace as fitted to the M3 LTW and M3 GT’s (UK & Euro ones). These are supposed to be the best brace out there for an e36.

They are NLS at BMW and seem to be near impossible to get one (there are some very good reps out there though, that don’t have the ///M on the turrets).

I’ll have to find some way of refitting the standard strut covers, as I want to keep them on, also going to change the hex type bolts at either side of the brace for new ones.

This is one of the parts that I had been after for ages, so I’m a happy man now that it is here!

I hopefully will be getting a genuine GT front adjustable splitter too, just trying to work out a price with the seller.

My Cars
    Bmw e36 M3 S54,X6,S54 tu
    I have e46 M3 back brakes on e36 m3.I used e46 m3 trailing arms.

Brembo GT kit,Eibach ARB,EIbach Pro Coils,Supersprint Race,Powerflex,UUC FlyWheel+M5 cluch,BBS CH-black,CF airbox with Grupe N,OEM GT front spliter......

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Quote Originally Posted by Narusa325 View Post
    I have e46 M3 back brakes on e36 m3.I used e46 m3 trailing arms.

I'd love to have a look round your car!

Do you use a hydro handbrake or did you adapt the originals?

Were the rear arms a straight swap? Did you re-us the e36 drives? (sorry for all the questions..... )

My Cars
    Bmw e36 M3 S54,X6,S54 tu
    Of course i use original handbrake,what is the point of hydro on the road.For handbrake i used all e46 bits.And for half shafts i used e36 ones.Trailing arms are straights swap.

Brembo GT kit,Eibach ARB,EIbach Pro Coils,Supersprint Race,Powerflex,UUC FlyWheel+M5 cluch,BBS CH-black,CF airbox with Grupe N,OEM GT front spliter......

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    I wasn't sure if yours was a road/ track car, that's why I asked if you used the hydro setup.

Sounds good, I should have a set of rear trailing arms lined up, it will be a week or two before I get them lifted though.

Is there anything else to look out for?

My Cars
    Bmw e36 M3 S54,X6,S54 tu
    Not really any trouble,its a straight swap.

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Thanks for the advice, it is good to know before I buy the e46 trailing arms.

Have you any pics or spec of your car online? It must be some machine!

My Cars
    Bmw e36 M3 S54,X6,S54 tu
    If you ever passing Dundalk,let me know,you can come in to my garage and have a look at it.The speck,i will try to write it some day,i have this car 7 years,and its still evolving.Even right now i have few boxes of new parts waiting to go on,all i need is to fined a free day to work on it.

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Quote Originally Posted by Narusa325 View Post
    If you ever passing Dundalk,let me know,you can come in to my garage and have a look at it.The speck,i will try to write it some day,i have this car 7 years,and its still evolving.Even right now i have few boxes of new parts waiting to go on,all i need is to fined a free day to work on it.
    Will do, it sounds like there is some work done to it, is the s54 setup much faster than with the s50/s52?

You should get pics/spec sorted for me to add more stuff to my want list!

My Cars
    E36, E46
    What's the difference in the RTA's besides the mounting point for the calipers?

Kinda surprised the GTii didn't come with that strut bar from the factory...

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
    What's the difference in the RTA's besides the mounting point for the calipers?

Kinda surprised the GTii didn't come with that strut bar from the factory...
    I agree about the brace, they should have added the adjusable front splitter too

Only differences that I know of with the arms are that the E46 M3 uses the larger (in diameter - IIRC 37mm) hollow drives as does the E36 M3 Evo (Euro), the 3.0 litre uses the smaller solid driveshafts.

Other than that is is the caliper mounting point, different handbrake size and bits like allow dust plate/ spring seats.

My Cars
    S50B30 Compact
    Hey fellas - this is prob the most interesting e36 thread running at the minute.

I'm not throwing stones, but.....

The discs in this assembly photo are on the wrong sides:

They should be this way round:

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Good spot, I would love that back axle sitting in my garage for my car!

My Cars
    S50B30 Compact
    I have been thinking about getting e46 M3 rear discs onto the e36 M3.

It seems to me that it ought to be possible to have the e36 M3 handbrake shoes relined with friction material 1mm thicker. That would then make them suitable for the 182mm drums in the e46 M3 discs. Okay, they would still only be 25mm wide but guess what - that wouldn't matter. Deliver a brand new set of shoes to http://www.custombrakes.co.uk/, and let them fit the thicker linings. BINGO.

As far as getting calipers to fit, the shorter e36 mounting lugs give you more room to work with. I know that RallyRoad do adaptors to mount Porsche 996 Brembos onto either the e36 M3 or the e46 M3 trailing arms, both using the e46 M3 rear discs. http://www.rallyroad.net/catalog/3.

I would like to investigate the possibilities of utilising the Fiat Coupe Turbo (identical to Ford Focus RS) Brembo calipers (See BCA3592 here). Remember that those calipers work on a 324mm disc on the Focus..... (LINK). They would need to have the bridge pipes swapped with the bleed nipples to make sure they are suitable for a trailing application as in the BMW.
    Last edited by ultegra; 05-12-2012 at 04:39 AM.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Not sure why you guys are going through so much effort to use E46 M3 rear calipers; they are still a single piston design (poor) with the only difference from E46 calipers being piston size.. all it will do is affect bias slightly

As ultegra pointed out, Rallyroad offers a kit to retrofit proper calipers used with E46 M3 rotors. I recently purchased it - great kit, top notch quality.

My Cars
    M3(S50B32)&(S54B32)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCooper View Post
    +1
    '?? E92 ///M3 cooming soon
    '03 E46 ///M3 TiAg/ Black
    '99 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue/ black
    '94 E36 318i RED/Black(history)
    Got my Gopro Camera www.halfany.com Vbox on the way...

My Cars
    E36 M3 Evolution, Me
    Is this the car that was for sale on eBay? If so I kept looking at the page! Was very tempted. Looks great....maybe I should have gone and had a look!

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Thanks Guys!

The reason I'm going for the bigger rears is primarily because I got them so cheap. I want to stick to BMW parts or else I would go for Brembo's match the front 8 series brembos.

I haven’t really done much to the car since, I thought I’d throw up a few pics from a recent show/ enhancement (By Andy @ A-Plus Detailing a few weeks ago).

I’m still using the car everyday, I’ve another 1000 miles done this last month or so!

Harmony Hill Show
    First few “borrowed” from JohnB on NI-BMW….

I got a Z3M short shifter, although some people say these don’t fit the evo’s (because of the 6 speed) other’s seem to have it fitted ….

I have a set of black grills although I’m not sure whether I like them or not. I think the standard chromes are probably better looking.

Some craps pics but you get the idea

I’m definitely not convinced with the black grills

Thanks Guys!

The reason I'm going for the bigger rears is primarily because I got them so cheap. I want to stick to BMW parts or else I would go for Brembo's match the front 8 series brembos.

I haven’t really done much to the car since, I thought I’d throw up a few pics from a recent show/ enhancement (By Andy @ A-Plus Detailing a few weeks ago).

I’m still using the car everyday, I’ve another 1000 miles done this last month or so!

Harmony Hill Show
    First few “borrowed” from JohnB on NI-BMW….

I got a Z3M short shifter, although some people say these don’t fit the evo’s (because of the 6 speed) other’s seem to have it fitted ….

I have a set of black grills although I’m not sure whether I like them or not. I think the standard chromes are probably better looking.

Some craps pics but you get the idea

I’m definitely not convinced with the black grills

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Is this the car that was for sale on eBay? If so I kept looking at the page! Was very tempted. Looks great....maybe I should have gone and had a look!
    It was on ebay for a while then the seller too it back off
    Last edited by M3GTii; 05-24-2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Definitely keep the grills chrome...
    Not sure if you'll like this but have you considered smoked corners with those frenchies? I always thought smoked corners blended in better!

Here an old one with smoked/french.

By the way the z3m part will fit! The key is to retain your original 6mt carrier and shift-linkage along with the new shifter!
    Last edited by JCooper; 05-25-2012 at 10:46 AM.

My Cars
    E36 S50B32 + E90 320i
    Very nicely kept GT mate! I thought mine was pretty clean but yours far better after comparison!!

So does the Z3M shifter work for our E36 M3 EVO 6mt?

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Thanks, the smoked indicators probably look better but I'm going to leave the standards for now.

I don't know about the shifter, I have heard of people fitting them to the 6speeds while others say you need the z4m for the 6speed.....

I'm going to give it a go anyway

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast