Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: M3 GT Imola Individual

My Cars
    3.0 Euro M3, 328is track
    Quote Originally Posted by 3MPowered View Post
    Sweet! I was waiting for someone to fit an E46 crank pulley. It's lighter than the E36 version as well, no?
    Once fitted you'll have to write up your experience (and whether or not you noticed much of a difference)!
    I have a e46 crank pulley

I have herd i should get the water pump pully from the e46 too, tho i havent looked into it yet, as temps are ok

BLAKE AuST

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Standard steering wheel inserts in Imola Red are available from BMW, but as I wanted to use M5 Multi functional inserts. So MF Sterring wheel inserts painted Imola Red (currently being repainted thanks to Phil Rob on M3cutters)

Hopefully I will start with the wiring loom for these (cruise control and radio) this week . . .

E36 Fire Extinguisher for under the seat

Bolts from BMW for the X Brace, and some BMW plug pins

Uprated bushes for ARB, I already have ones on my standard evo ARB's. These are for when I get a pair of Eibach ARB's (26mm & 24mm)

Some bits started on the cruise control, using the e39/e46 control unit so I can use the buttons instead of the stalk, to use this you "adapt" the plug a bit

E36 Stalk now not needed

Going to try some 3000k HID's

X Brace painted (Imola Red) and fitted, old vs new

Thanks to Neil for letting me use his lift, and while I was still busy talking he already had it fitted lol

Surround came from the US for the central locking button (needed for when I drill the hole), that will be a job for next week! Itwill go at the drivers side in front of the window switches.

Cup Holders from a US E36, handy to have when you are cruising with the kids, I re-used the pocket instead of the ashtray,

Changing the air filter soon, and have a deposit paid on a genuine Motorsport/ GT Strut brace and bolts, coming from the US :-)

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    More great stuff I'm happy to see
    I'm interested in what gave you the idea to use the E39 cruise control over the E36 stuff? Was it just the use of the steering wheel buttons that swayed you? Are all the pin connections the same or are you having to swap/remove/add some pins?

Quote Originally Posted by BLAKE AuST View Post
    I have a e46 crank pulley

I have herd i should get the water pump pully from the e46 too, tho i havent looked into it yet, as temps are ok

BLAKE AuST
    Did you notice a difference with the new pulley? Would the purpose of fitting an E46 water pump pulley be to properly drive the water pump (as I assume with the E46 crank pulley installed you're currently under driving the ancillaries?)

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    More great stuff I'm happy to see
    I'm interested in what gave you the idea to use the E39 cruise control over the E36 stuff? Was it just the use of the steering wheel buttons that swayed you? Are all the pin connections the same or are you having to swap/remove/add some pins?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1617377

fyi

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    ^ Thanks for the info mate. Doesn't look like too difficult of a retrofit, if only I could manage it with an M Tech II wheel.

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    I see Jim posted the link, it was on here that I stumbled upon the link and it quickly got added to my list.

I wanted to retrofit the e36 cruise control anyway so it made sense! lol

My Cars
    E36
    beautiful car. I love how you put so much effort in keeping it OE, especially with all the gadgets and such. Personally I like the e36 for its lack of technology, and overall simplicity, but its nice to see there are people who are tastefully adding technology to these cars.

also I really like the low rise GT wing. excuse my ignorance but is there any different between LTW and GT and GT2 spoilers? I see the terms used, yet was never able to distinguish what is differences between them. As far as I am concerned they all have the optional "high-rise" setting with the inserts, but can also have "low rise" without inserts.

I am most curious about difference in shape and look.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3 GT II
    Thanks, I just wanted to add the OEM optional extras basically as if the original buyer had ticked a few more boxes when new.

The spoilers are the same bar one change, the GT2 (GTII) one has a brakelight on the lower part of the spoiler. As you say all can be split to add the risers.

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by M3GTii View Post
    Thanks, I just wanted to add the OEM optional extras basically as if the original buyer had ticked a few more boxes when new.

The spoilers are the same bar one change, the GT2 (GTII) one has a brakelight on the lower part of the spoiler. As you say all can be split to add the risers.
    To add to this:

There are ONLY three class II spoilers ever made for the M3.

ONE for the sedan without a third brake light = 51 71 2 268 552

TWO for the coupes

1. 51 71 2 489 685 WITHOUT third brake light. This is the one PTG hacks to get a third brake light in fir the US LTW.
    2. 51 71 9 410 981 The one with a third brake light and sits flush with end of trunk.

For the coupes, the upper part of the wings are the same. The difference is only in the lower part.
    Last edited by Jim E.; 02-09-2012 at 11:25 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    So in other words, most of these spoilers are replicas which leads me to my next question. Is the quality that they are made from in the ballpark of the OEM and is it functional?

1995 Daytona Violet M3 - Build Thread Here
    O.Z Mitos for Sale! PM Me

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDitka View Post
    So in other words, most of these spoilers are replicas which leads me to my next question. Is the quality that they are made from in the ballpark of the OEM and is it functional?
    The quality of most of the replicas is not as good as OE. Some are good but fitments etc... become issues.

The biggest problem I've seen with replicas is the tendency for the upper wing to sag.

The OE is "somewhat" functional for downforce but only with the risers. It is also recommended that you use gurney flaps with them to aid in airflow. Just keep in mind that these were designed a while ago and had to meet specific design criteria to meet racing specs. In that sense they are limited in terms of downforce compared to the newer wings you now see on the tracks.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 1993 RX-7 R1, 2006 CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by M3GTii View Post
    Standard steering wheel inserts in Imola Red are available from BMW, but as I wanted to use M5 Multi functional inserts. So MF Sterring wheel inserts painted Imola Red (currently being repainted thanks to Phil Rob on M3cutters)

Hopefully I will start with the wiring loom for these (cruise control and radio) this week . . .

E36 Fire Extinguisher for under the seat

X Brace painted (Imola Red) and fitted, old vs new
    Do you have part numbers or any way to get the fire extinguisher and cover for the x-brace? I have the fire extinguisher bracket but no fire extinguisher. And I have the x-brace but didn't know there was a cover for that and the transmission.

Slainte,
    Andy
    Last edited by aoc007; 02-17-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    '99 Cosmos M3 - all US options w/ M3 GT LTWs, CD43, lots of Euro options, DICE, BSW Speakers

My Cars
    S54 T-V M3
    that x-brace cover is cool! also, I just love how every E36 has leaky power steering lines haha.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

The xbrace cover shows in the parts system as picture only but no part number. If we can find out what exact model E36 came with this cover.
    Was thinking will this cover decrease the airflow throught the engine and the proper cooling is affected, could it be the earlier E36s came with it and it was deleted after because the engine cooling-airflow issues.
    Would like to see someone's reply who knows more about this part.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 1993 RX-7 R1, 2006 CBR600RR
    I wouldn't worry about lack of cooling, if anything this should reduce drag and maybe add downforce.
    '99 Cosmos M3 - all US options w/ M3 GT LTWs, CD43, lots of Euro options, DICE, BSW Speakers

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    The xbrace cover shows in the parts system as picture only but no part number. If we can find out what exact model E36 came with this cover.
    Was thinking will this cover decrease the airflow throught the engine and the proper cooling is affected, could it be the earlier E36s came with it and it was deleted after because the engine cooling-airflow issues.
    Would like to see someone's reply who knows more about this part.
    Unfortunately the cover is NLA.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Quote Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
    Do you know more about this...what is the reason, what models came with it as standard?

I know one fact that when for example car is not moving but engine running how you can feel the hot air coming from the front and under the car (when your driver door is open). With this cover it would not be the case. Again this is one of my points that according to BMW would not be an issue, who knows.

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Do you know more about this...what is the reason, what models came with it as standard?

I know one fact that when for example car is not moving but engine running how you can feel the hot air coming from the front and under the car (when your driver door is open). With this cover it would not be the case. Again this is one of my points that according to BMW would not be an issue, who knows.
    It was a euro only part. To my knowledge never installed on a US M3.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....=on&showeur=on

My Cars
    BMW m3 evo
    Pretty sure it is standard on euro models, evos at least. Mine has it and the few others I have seen the underside of have had it as well.

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Quote Originally Posted by holo View Post
    Pretty sure it is standard on euro models, evos at least. Mine has it and the few others I have seen the underside of have had it as well.
    If you click on the link i provided in my last post you will see the application of that part for all E36 M3s.

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    Just finished putting the car back together after the respray.
    Now im in love again!

Last edited by JCooper; 02-19-2012 at 04:20 PM.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    !error: terrible picture doesn't showcase beautiful car

My Cars
    BMW M3

re

Quote Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post
    Thanks for posting the part nuymber.

My Cars
    Imola Euro Swap
    !error: terrible picture doesn't showcase beautiful car
    lol ill take some more once I get my set of zkw's and clear corners!
    Last edited by JCooper; 02-19-2012 at 09:08 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E46 M3
    How much of a difference will the 3.62 (E46 M3) final gear set be compared to the E36 M3's (auto, gf's car) stock diff?
    E46 M3 SMG; VAC Ultra light pulley set; BMW MS 4.10; Evolve-R Stage 1 tune; 3000 lbs.

Entrepreneur (Click the about me ): AdamRod.MySiselPro.com
    Fitness Challenge: AdamRod.TheLeanLine.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast