Thread: Driveshaft: 95 318i into 98 318ti

My Cars
    98 318ti

Driveshaft: 95 318i into 98 318ti

I have a 98 318ti manual. Realoem says a 318i driveshaft from 1992+ is 20mm longer than my current stock one and is also a different part #. Anyone confirm or deny this?

It would be great if it fit because I can't for the life of me find a solid 318ti driveshaft. I don't want to have to use my 318ti front half on another rear half, because no where local can balance it. I post on 318ti.org but can't find information on swapping shafts between e36 models, to know for sure what is interchangeable.
    98 318ti 5Speed

My Cars
    S50 318, 87 325e, 07 X5
    I dont believe they are the same because the length of the ti is shorter than non-ti car...sorry my friend but I will search for you a ti driveshaft.

here ya go...http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-Driv...item335da98db7
    Last edited by E36B1MM3R; 12-28-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    F15E90E36

My Cars
    98 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by E36B1MM3R View Post
    I dont believe they are the same because the length of the ti is shorter than non-ti car...sorry my friend but I will search for you a ti driveshaft.

here ya go...http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-Driveshaft-Drive-Shaft-5-Spd-318ti-95-96-97-98-/220614725047?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item335da98db7
    That's what realoem says too.

Saw that one on Ebay but he says the bearings are notchy

I should have put this in the hatchback subforum.

Can't I just use my front half with any E36 *exc M3* rear half? I know a place to balance it.
    98 318ti 5Speed

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    First, the driveshaft allows for a lot of adjustment. I'd bet a cup of coffee that it'll take up the 20mm difference. I had my '95 325is (getrag tranny) driveshaft right beside my 318ti (same exact getrag tranny), and I didn't see a difference EXCEPT for the big round flywheel thing at the front end, presumably to smooth out some dynamic issue on the 4cyl. The 325is unit is now in my 325ti.

Next, lots of talk about swapping the front half of one with the back half of another... but does it really need to be balanced? with a good center bearing, will it matter? It doesn't make sense that only the front or back would have a counterweight. they both must be individually balanced. whatever balancing is "needed" between the two, IE what would be thrown off by changing the relative angle, I'm betting is trivial in real-world terms.

I have my 318ti driveshaft if you need it. PM me a fair offer. It's in good condition, no issues, but I didn't think to mark the orientation before pulling it apart. 188k miles.
    Last edited by cpatstone; 12-28-2011 at 07:42 PM.

My Cars
    98 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
    First, the driveshaft allows for a lot of adjustment. I'd bet a cup of coffee that it'll take up the 20mm difference. I had my '95 325is (getrag tranny) driveshaft right beside my 318ti (same exact getrag tranny), and I didn't see a difference EXCEPT for the big round flywheel thing at the front end, presumably to smooth out some dynamic issue on the 4cyl. The 325is unit is now in my 325ti.

Next, lots of talk about swapping the front half of one with the back half of another... but does it really need to be balanced? with a good center bearing, will it matter? It doesn't make sense that only the front or back would have a counterweight. they both must be individually balanced. whatever balancing is "needed" between the two, IE what would be thrown off by changing the relative angle, I'm betting is trivial in real-world terms.

I have my 318ti driveshaft if you need it. PM me a fair offer. It's in good condition, no issues, but I didn't think to mark the orientation before pulling it apart. 188k miles.
    So your 325is doesnt have the balancer? Interesting...

I have hear many times that an inbalanced driveshaft wears extra on the CSB.

I've got a source on a good driveshaft for $60 close to my city. I will try it first, then go for yours. Thanks for the offer!
    98 318ti 5Speed

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    All drive shafts are balanced at the factory. Each piece must be balanced individually not as a combined uint. So swapping the front half of one to the rear half of another is fine and it doesn't need to be rebalanced. When most people take thier drive shaft apart they usually mark it with some paint before so it goes back just as it was. This is purely precauionary and is really not needed. I suppose its possible that the shaft could be slightly out of round after 15 or 20 years.

Ive swapped front and rear halves of two drive shafts on two different e36's and never had an issue. I don't know what you mean by a balancer on the "ti" shaft. The only thing Ive seen on the drive shafts is some small counter weights similar to Wheel balance weights. And of course there is the guibo but that has nothing to do with drive shaft balancing.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 12-29-2011 at 01:35 PM.

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanJung View Post
    So your 325is doesnt have the balancer? Interesting...
    realoem to the rescue: the ti driveshaft (and others) have item 2:
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...26&fg=05&hl=81

-- which looks like it can be readily removed.

so theoretically, the ti ds is 1544mm long. Measuring the actual length of splines, the male portion has about 3.5" and the female 3", but the female part is open on the inside so it could accept all 3.5" of the splines. Minimum engangement? I dunno, maybe 2"? maybe less? I don't know how much of those splines are engaged in the normal, perfect 318ti.

the 325is ds is 1512mm, or 32mm shorter. 1.25" shorter. So, stretch out the expansion section a little and you're done.

btw, I noticed my 318ti ds has white marks so that it could be reassembled in the same orientation.
    Last edited by cpatstone; 12-29-2011 at 10:02 PM.