Thread: 2004 325ci with 50,000 miles worth $11,000?

My Cars
    04 325ci

2004 325ci with 50,000 miles worth $11,000?

I have the option of getting a 2004 325ci with 50,000 for $11,000. it seems like a good price to me, but how are they for reliability? I have a 2001 Acura 3.2cl type s with 82,000 miles now, but the tranny is starting to slip (very common on those). They seem like very comparable cars. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I wouldn't exactly call those two cars very comparable.

Buying used BMWs is 10x more complicated than a simple relationship between miles and price. The third factor is maintenance, and you want it to be up to date or you'll pay for it after purchase to get it up to snuff.

I've heard a few stories of that particular Acura tranny crapping out surprisingly early--like enough to convince me not to buy one of them even as a Honda fan.

The BMW driveline should be good for a long while yet but you will notice a rise in parts/labor in repairing a 325ci over a 3.2CL (and a corresponding rise in fun factor )
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    04 325ci
    do you mean maintenance intervals and that sort of thing?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i E90
    Good price indeed. I'd say buy it. Offer 10k.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325I
    ive owned a 2002 325i for about 2 years now. i bought it with 68,000k at about 10,000. im very pleased with it and ive done quite a few mods to her and love it. then again i put my car in various events here at home from autocross to drift events. just depends what plans you have with your car because mines all about racing with the mods ive provided and she just barelly hit 100k this year and still no problems.
    325i Topaz Bluuu
    Umnitza MTech II Body Kit, ZHP Weighted Shift Knob, Muffler Delete, Resonator Delete, Khoalty LED Tail lights/Clear Front Turn Signals + Sidemarkers, Long CAI, Koni FSD's + B&G Lowering Springs, CF Fabric Trim, Black Suede Headliner + Pillars, Thule 753 Roof Rack n Fairing, 5% Rear 20% Front Tint, DDM Led license plate lights. No such thing as DONE lol.

My Cars
    04 325ci
    It will just be a daily driver, I work at an Audi dealer and know a lot of techs, so I can get work done on the side for cheap (compared to dealer), but parts are still spendy. From what I know of Audis, you can get a good one or you can get a bad one, and if you get a bad one watch out. Same deal for BMWs?

As far as trying to low ball an offer, I think it is as low as it is going to be (already getting a deal)
    Last edited by 2bmworNot2bmw; 12-11-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    I'd say that^ lemon car thing is more true of Audis than BMWs, but there are definitely still Friday afternoon BMWs.

The maintenance intervals won't be so different because that Acura flat out breaks more than other Acuras, but I was really just talking about the cost of labor and parts--both will be higher than on your Acura. Not double or anything, but just know there will be an increase.

With 50,000 miles and a clean title, no accidents etc, that's a good deal even with almost no maintenance done. If you keep your cars for awhile, you'll be replacing the entire suspension and probably the cooling system within the next 50,000 miles.

Although, both of those things might equal the cost of a new transmission for the Acura.

Like I said, BMW drivelines generally last a long time.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.