Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why are people more impressed by a used $6k BMW than a $25k Accord/Camry ??

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by EpDarks View Post
    My gfs family saw my X5 and thought I bought it brand new. 2002 w/ 140k miles. It goes to show the general public is clueless re: BMW
    No, it's also b/c BMW's change their body styles about once a decade. A 25 year 5-series BMW doesn't look all that different from a new BMW. Now try to do that with a Chevy or a Honda.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence

No, it's also b/c BMW's change their body styles about once a decade. A 25 year 5-series BMW doesn't look all that different from a new BMW. Now try to do that with a Chevy or a Honda.
    6 year lifecycle roughly. 80s ran longer, but from the last few decades it has been mostly true.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    The main points here are are 1) ignorance coupled with 2) a large number of different car companies and models exist that are difficult to keep track of. I didn't know either, I was shopping for used accords 4 yrs ago and had never owned anything but Honda (I'm almost 30) but hated the blind spots in the Accord coupe. I was set on that car, but came back hating it so I just entered BMW into craigslist and was shocked they were cheaper than I expected.

Most people don't sit around reading about cars, so they just know the brands they and their family has owned. I had my 540I almost 4 yrs when a Benz was brought into our garage and before that I couldn't have told you which benz was which based on sight. It was only after having one at the house did I learn which model was which and what year looked like what.

In short, there are a lot of cars out there and its difficult to keep track of what model is new or what model costs more (lots of people don't like redesigns and might assume an older car looks newer to them). BMW costs more new, so the assumption is your used car is more than that.

The third thing actually is maintenance/gas as most of us are putting in premium & have larger engine cars. More than just having a BMW, people are surprised I shell out for gas on a V8 car as my main car. That looks rich to some people but I count it as "fun" or hobby money well spent.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Yep, I tell people my 19 year old son drives a 99 BMW convertible, and that our family beater car is a 2001 sedan, and that I have a 99 convertible for my project car, they gawp a little. I tell then that the total price we paid for all three cars is less than 5K. But I also tell them that this model only works if you can do your own work. I've spent maybe $200 on the sons car, but would have been $800 or more in repairs. E46, I have spent $300, $100 to get the general module repaired, $200 more for parts for the cooling system and VCG. That would have cost I think close to 1.5K at a mechanic.

But I still get into discussions where folks cant understand that owning three BMWS doesn't mean I'm selling secrets to the Russians Or eating PB&J.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Lots of BMW models don't show up in commercials, so perhaps the general public know little about them except the notion that BMW's are expensive. My z4 is 14 years old now, but many people think it's fairly new - this might also be in part to the z4 design.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 530d
    Even in the country of BMWs, people look at me unbelievingly when they see me and my car.
    To be fair, my E60 did need some work which was rather expensive, however, when I look at some of my friends who got brand new cars (while mine was 12 years old when I bought it) they paid about the same amount.
    The difference is that they have a brand new car, which in most cases just works.
    Since I see my car more like a hobby, I don't mind the extra work though. It's what most people don't get.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris30o0 View Post
    Since I see my car more like a hobby, I don't mind the extra work though. It's what most people don't get.

This. They don't understand that repairing my cars, or doing preventative maint on them is enjoyable.

My Cars
    z3
    That sort of brings up another facet of this, the fact that a lot of the people "impressed" or whatever by BMW owners are people who are financing $20,000+ cars, spending ~$300/month over years and years on a car that will have massively depreciated by the time they actually own it! On the other hand, if you have the ability to work on cars you can spend maybe $1000-1500/year maintaining a BMW you own outright. And when you go to sell it, depending how far down the depreciation curve you bought it, it will usually be worth close to what you paid. To me it always made more sense to buy used cars and just maintain them.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    It still holds true. I said this 6 years ago on the first page of this post. The e38 740iL that my family has still gets questions of whether it is a new model. That absolutely astounds me a 16 year old car that doesn't look really like anything built in the last 10 years would be mistaken as a new car. Goes to show how timeless the design is. It also goes to show that the general public doesn't know much about cars, they see a badge on a clean car and assume it is new.

In terms of reliability, yeah there is something to be said for other makes compared to BMWs, but I would much rather spend the money on an older BMW and put some money into driving a fun engaging car than a boring cracker box.
    Over the past 8 years I have daily driven several different BMW products and an American car that has always been noted for it's reliability a 99 Oldsmobile 88. Both the BMW products (2002 e39 M5 and 2013 Mini JCW) and the Oldsmobile have driven more or less identical conditions and miles over this time. Comparatively the Oldsmobile has held up much better requiring far less repairs and repair prices are much lower. And trust me, it doesn't get driven any less hard, all 3 vehicles have been autocrossed and generally hooned. I would argue that due to the more sporting intentions of the BMWs and their higher strung mentality that they are higher stressed.

In the end of the day, would I buy another Oldsmobile 88, probably not. I own this one for sentimental reasons, it is also an excellent car and I will probably never get rid of it. Will I someday buy another BMW, certainly. I already plan on replacing the 2013 Mini with a 1999 e36 M3 or 328is when the Mini's extended maintenance plan is up.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    In over 35 years of driving, I've only bought one new car. All of the others have been pre-owned. New car are for people that either cannot or do no care to turn a wrench or they can afford not to. Frankly, unless I'm building a car for a specific purpose, I just can't justify spending much over $20k for any daily driver. I have much better things to spend my money on.

People are impressed by BMW because the guys at BMW are marketing wizards.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    The e38 740iL that my family has still gets questions of whether it is a new model

Does it really?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

Does it really?
    No, I am really quite serious. It is clean, has factory xenon headlights, navigation, and is dark red so it stands out as kind of flashy. Probably once every couple months someone asks if it is a new car. Their jaws usually hit the ground when we tell them it is a 2001. BMWs are not particularly common where I live so it isn't like people remember these cars 20 years on.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    BMW 135i
    A few years ago I bought an 08 135i. A "Normie" can't tell the difference between a 1M, or a 135, or a 128.

I just bought a 2011 335is, and it looks like every 3rd car on the road. Here in Norcal there's a LOT of BMW's, and my 335is looks the same as a 335i, 335is, 328, M3, from 08 to today. Only people who know cars or have a sharp eye can tell the difference.

My 2011 (75k miles) 335is looks brand new, inside and out. I paid for an aftermarket warranty, and use an independent shop that works WITH me, AND the aftermarket company. So I got a smokin deal on my car, and don't have to worry about it for 4 years, and I look so much better rolling down the road in my car than any toyota or Honda IMO.

One of the things I really like about BMW is their interiors.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I haven't read any of this forum...so my opinion is not to be so valued. German cars, I have come to learn, I'm 62, owned and driven 60+ automobiles including Rover p-5, MGA twin-cam, also a 65 Corvair..lol... are simply better design though out, have better quality construction, are on-top with latest innovations. Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW...I'd say VW also except I have no experience driving or owning them since 1974.

I da no....Everyone has their own experience and love...even for a Rambler 660 wagon, yea I owned.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post

a 99 Oldsmobile 88. Both the BMW products (2002 e39 M5 and 2013 Mini JCW) and the Oldsmobile have driven more or less identical conditions and miles over this time. Comparatively the Oldsmobile has held up much better requiring far less repairs and repair prices are much lower. And trust me, it doesn't get driven any less hard, all 3 vehicles have been autocrossed and generally hooned.
    That must have been a sight

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    88 325 vert
    My wife drives a 12 e93 335, people at her work always comment on how "nice" it is her boss even asked how she could afford it on what he paid her! We bought it because it is a great car and wanted a hard top convertible. Ironically I have opposite issue with my e30 m3, only car people complement that car. My father in-law was amazed when a kid asked if he could take pics of it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123