Thread: tuning a supercharged 1.9L

My Cars
    1974 1502

tuning a supercharged 1.9L

I have installed an Eaton type supercharger on a 1.9L engine (19.4 S-1 engine). boost is around 6psi. Naturally, the car runs lean on higher RPMs. I seem to need larger injectors & ECU retune. I wonder what larger injectors would plug straight in & what would be the best way to retune the ECU, a piggy bag or a stand alone? The ECU # is 1 432 763

Any advice would be appreciated

My Cars
    supercharged 1999 318is
    if you dont plan to upgrade it then the injectors you have on should be ok!
    but if like i've done you plan to fit a smaller supercharger pulley making more boost then your injectors will be pretty much at max!

is it the downing atlanta kit you have?
    and if so it should have the rising rate fuel pressure regulator
    that should add the extra fuel etc

i myself am planning to have a custom map done on a rolling road
    but if you can live without using the car for a few weeks a place in the us called technique tuning they do maps ready for the dasc!
    they do a service where you send them your ecu
    hope that helps mate
    Last edited by m44lee; 12-21-2011 at 08:30 AM.

*******supercharged 318is*******

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Obviously, it's running lean up top lol...you're running the fuel maps with much more air. I'm not sure what injectors are plug and play, but I assume the "S-1" you are referring to is to say that it is an M42. Although, I think that part # is an OBDII ECU, no? I don't know much about who to go to for tuning on the four cylinders, but I think anyone who is comfortable and familiar enough to tune an E36/46 inline six, would be able to tune the M42/43/44.

My Cars
    1974 1502
    As I previously mentioned current boost is at around 6psi, running lean at higher RPMs around (14:1 AFR) I'm assuming that it would best to install larger injectors along with a remap to accommodate for any future upgrade or increased boost levels. I wonder if larger injectors from a larger BMW engine would fit straight in?
    A remap is a must to dial in the larger injectors scaling/latency & to modify fuel & ignition tables. I'm a tuner myself, but I usually tune Japanese sports cars & I don't have much experience with Bimmers & theirs ECUs! Again I'm not sure what's best way to remap the ECU, is this type ECU flashable & if so what software is used to reflash it?
    The kit installed is 'Volumex' taken from a Lancia. I'd post some pics but as a new member I can't post pics yet

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    What year 318? I'm wondering the same, if you could use injectors off of something like a 328...but I don't think so. I know injectors for M42s (if yours is an M42) can be swapped around and you can use injectors off a bunch of motors that are BMW. Just doing injectors won't help a thing on these cars, unless you are pushing them to about 85% of their duty cycles. The computer is the only thing allowing the injectors to function, so even if you bumped up to larger ones, you'd still be pouring in the same amount of fuel...unless, like I said, you're pushing the duty cycles to their maxes.

If the car is a 96 or newer, you should be able to reflash it. If it's the chip based one on a circuit bored, then you could drop in another or have yours re-written for your own, exact specs needed.

If it's OBDI, you could get a warchip and tune it yourself...
    Last edited by sjpgoalie; 12-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.

My Cars
    1974 1502
    Actually the engine is from a 1996 Z3, it's an M44 that I installed on a classic 1974 1502. Now I need to verify whether this ECU is actually OBDII & I need to know what software is used to flash it.
    Any clues?

My Cars
    1997 318is 5MT
    You might want to contact Nick G over at Technique Tuning, he is well known for his DASC M44 tunes. He'll have the info you seek.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36m44dascsw.html
    1997 318is 5MT / Arctic Silver - Bilstein Sports / H&R Sports, TSW Nurburgring 17x8, Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ 225/45, 3.45 LSD, RE RSM's, Remus exhaust,
    Depo Euro headlights 35w 5000K, M3 spoiler, M3 rear bumper, Clear corners, sides and tails, Euro 3-Spoke steering wheel, Motorsport International side moldings, M-Technic lighted shift knob,
    UAS Keyless, C33 Aux In

My Cars
    1974 1502
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselbro View Post
    You might want to contact Nick G over at Technique Tuning, he is well known for his DASC M44 tunes. He'll have the info you seek.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e36m44dascsw.html

Do you have any contact information for Nick? I can't find any on the website!

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    Technique Tuning, Inc.
    41 SW 5th Court
    Pompano Beach, FL 33060
    (954)260-5131
    info@techniquetuning.com

or pm him

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/member.php?u=1516

My Cars
    1 bicycle
    VACmotorsport has adapters that will allow you to use 6 cylinder injectors.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ors-p2454.aspx

I have late model m42 OBDI injectors which are the same as m44 injectors.
    I had been looking into charging and turbo'ing. Came across these while researching fueling options...
    The late m42 and m44 have the stupid air shroud on the injectors. It's for smog. Has nothing to do with performance. I want to use these adapters just to get rid of the complex vacuum system... Thus, the injectors are different and unique compared to other BMW's. I don't know what non BMW cars use injectors like the m42/44.
    Adapters make it easier to find used bmw higher flow injectors and swap them in...

If your car is OBDII, I don't know much. I have OBDI and can just swap for a new chip. I can even buy a chip burner for cheap, and buy my own blank chips for cheap as hell. Just have to find a tuning program and a tuner willing to do the map for me

I have heard the rising rate regulators suck.
    I would think that other than fueling and tune, your other main issue is going to be increasing boost with high compression and NO intercooler.
    If you don't have the D/A setup, are you going to run an intercooler? This will safely open up your tuning options quite a bit. Lowering compression a bit will help even more...
    Someone stole my bike!
    17X9 Team dynamics for sale with sumitomo 255/40-17
    Excellent condition E36 headlights and fogs. Look new, for sale!
    Chevy s10 gutted ready to be dropped and cleaned a bit...