Thread: hot starting issue

My Cars
    e46 m3 / turbo brick

hot starting issue

Sorry for starting new thread but couldn't find anything related,
    When I do a cold start with the car it starts with no problem. However, when when its warmed up, I start the car after its been turned off for 5-10 minutes it has serious trouble starting up, sometimes it'll take 10 seconds to crank over, most often it takes a few attempts, and sometimes it won't start at all. It cranks over fine, but sounds like its not getting any fuel. If however though I pop the hood just after I turn the car off, the chance of refiring seems to get a lot better. I've had this issue with my car now for close to a year now, but as soon as the weather drops the problem gets worse (during the summer it usually works fairly predictably). Some recommendations have been:
    damaged crank position sensor
    temperature sensor
    Mass air
    ECU (not turning the fuel pump on)
    faulty/ leaking lines that cause hotter air to be sucked in (supported by lifting the hood resulting in easier starting?)
    fuel regulator/pump?

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems because I have had no luck at all in google/ forum searching and mechanics say to get a code reading. However, temperature and crank position sensors won't put out a code unless they are wrecked so a reader might not find anything relevant.. or so I've been told. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by attrack; 12-22-2011 at 11:27 PM.