Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Claying and hard water spots

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan

Claying and hard water spots

Does anyone know if claying will get rid of hard water spots on a paint surface? I've seen some threads that say vinegar can be used to remove the water spots, what do you guys think?

TIA

My Cars
    328i
    Why don't you try it and see for yourself.

Others more knowledgeable than myself will reply I'm sure, but I'd say that what will work depends on how bad they are.

I'd say clay itself probably won't remove most water marks, a PC will though.

I'd save the vinegar as a last resort, but that's just me...

My Cars
    2003 AW/Black M3
    claying will NOT remove hard water spots. You can try a mixture of vinegar, I've heard that works, though I'm not sure. The best thing, bar none, is a decent cleaner wax or mild polish like Meg's DACP, with a cutting pad and a porter cable. Say bye-bye to water spots!
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="2">2003 Alpine White M3...</font></b>
    <font face="century gothic"><b><font size="1"></font></b><br />
    The infamous "Paul E." and I after some detailing...

My Cars
    m3
    I have to agree with the above. While clay can remove some water spots to a degree, it almost never removes it all. A good polish (Meg's DACP, 1Z UP, 1Z PP) should take care of your problems. You can use these products by hand but be ready to spend alot of time and energy on your quest. A PC is definatly a helper i wouldn't willingly give up.

My Cars
    '96 328i and '93 525i
    This water spot question is persistent in here and I wish I had an easy fix for you guys.
    A clay bar will take the sharp 'edge' off the spots... meaning the surface should feel smoother to the touch but generally you will still see them unless they were very light and fresh to begin with.

They make a specific water spot remover product but it is only available to professionals. (product liability concerns for the manufacturer) This product is by far the best thing because it dissolves the spots instead of having to use polishes or compounds. This is better because you aren't needlessly polishing away your clearcoat.

When a DIY comes to me with this question and they insist on doing it themselves then all I can recommend is vinegar first (because it's virtually harmless, use no pressure, let the chemical do the work), if that doesn't do it then go the polishing route. Just keep in mind that without proper polishing technique you may indeed remove the spots only to find you now have buffer-swirls, hand-created swirls, or any of the other common problems that can arise from polishing aggresively.
    Jason
    Last edited by Jasonb1971; 02-12-2004 at 10:18 PM.